Subject: "New Player Looking for Class" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #2579
Show all folders

KennaiMon 08-Feb-10 03:01 AM
Member since 08th Feb 2010
1 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2579, "New Player Looking for Class"

I have tried to look for information about this game on the site, but it is not working for me on chrome or IE. I'm currently looking for a mud where I could be a Warmage or a wizard who specializes in more destructive magics, and is capable of wielding a weapon. I would prefer the weapon to be a spear or other form of a bladed polearm, but as most stereotypes go it will most likely turn out to be a sword of some sort. I was curious if there was such a class as that in this one.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: New Player Looking for Class, trewyn, 14-Feb-10 07:39 PM, #6
Reply RE: New Player Looking for Class, Hutto, 14-Feb-10 12:30 AM, #5
Reply RE: New Player Looking for Class, DurNominator, 09-Feb-10 01:06 AM, #4
Reply RE: New Player Looking for Class, incognito, 08-Feb-10 02:10 PM, #3
Reply RE: New Player Looking for Class, Dervish, 08-Feb-10 05:26 AM, #2
Reply Hah! You've come to the right place!, Amberion, 08-Feb-10 04:34 AM, #1

trewynSun 14-Feb-10 07:39 PM
Member since 04th Jan 2005
269 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2587, "RE: New Player Looking for Class"
In response to Reply #0

Yeah, the website recently had an accident.

If you're dead set on playing a mage, I will warn you that mages are fodder for a lot of classes. But, they tend to be my favorite class to play because they aren't nearly as fragile as people think. After all, it comes down to whose HP hits 0 first!

So the mages go as follows

Invoker - Elemental mage. Probably the most like a "war mage". Can't wield a sword. I don't recommend this for your first one due to the excessive amount of spell practice required to learn the higher level spells.

Anti-paladin - warrior-mage. They use demon magic. They are hated by the outlanders, the fortress, and like all mages, the village. This is your other choice for a war mage. They can wield a sword. And an axe, and a spear, staff, whips, flails, and maces. Oh, daggers too of course. They can eventually make a weapon that steals souls and gets more powerful every time you kill someone.

Necromancer - undead making mage. They can wield a sword too. Swords, whips, and daggers are about it though. Definitely NOT a war-type mage. But if you can get that sleep spell to land, you stand a very good chance at killing them. They have the option of becoming a mummy, which is powerful, or a lich, which is EXTREMELY powerful. It's not a 100% promise though. You can count on two hands all the mummies and liches ever. (I think...)

Transmuter - living-matter mage. They affect things with metabolisms, which means things without metabolisms or bone structures like golems and ghosts are not affected by their spells. They ARE, however, the most melee oriented pure mage class. This is by far the easiest mage class to learn with. They lack damage spells that affect large groups. That is a designed drawback of theirs. But their single attack spells are like nuclear bombs. Plus with duo dimension, they are very difficult to find when they don't want to be.

Conjurers - planar mages, they can wield swords too (I think), and axes. They rely on beings they summon to do their dirty work. They can be tricky. But if you can figure out their tricks, then you can be a complete wrecking ball and just barrel through a lot of things other mages have troubles with. They have shieldblock too if I'm not mistaken. So you probably want to use something one handed and make use of that shield.

Other magey classes - Priests! Require empowerment. But it's not hard, so don't let that scare you.

Druids - These are kindof magey. Like mages with heal spells. The learning curve with these is fairly steep and yet gentle at the same time. They can wield a spear too! But you'll definitely want to use a shield with this class.

Shamans - These are kind of magey too. They rely on maledictions. When I first played a shaman, I was wowed with their lethality. But then, I was a bashing giant player before I discovered my love of druids and mages. They require a little tact. With the wiser playerbase these days, I don't think they are as deadly as they used to be. But I haven't played one in like 8 or 10 years.

Paladins can be kind of magey. Kind of. Also requires empowerment.

Oh, animist rangers are also kind of magey. Rangers are a good class for newbies to start with.

And last but not least, Bards!

This class is kind of magey too, in that all songs are area effect. A very survivable class. Can use talismans and scrolls too. Can be tough to kill, but then, it can also be a trick to kill with them.

HuttoSun 14-Feb-10 12:30 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
234 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2586, "RE: New Player Looking for Class"
In response to Reply #0

Anti-Paladin is one of the most versatile classes in the game, but have a steep learning curve.

I'd recommend trying out a Transmuter. It is a mage class that has spells that augment his fighting ability and hinder his opponents' fighting ability in addition to being about to deal out some very big damage spells if he wants. Good solo or in a group, and Duo Dimension gives you an added layer of security for learning your way around CF at the later levels. The only drawback is no spear or polearm.

Another option could be to make a Paladin and pick a somewhat active Imm to follow. While empowerment can be challenging, if you overcome that hurdle and roleplay well, paladins are easy to play and they get a good mix of melee (can do a polearm dedication) and supplications.

Hope that helps.

Hutto, the Sleepy Nitpicker

'Sorry, I'm not 72323slhlst. Or however you say Elite'
-Vynmylak

DurNominatorTue 09-Feb-10 01:06 AM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2583, "RE: New Player Looking for Class"
In response to Reply #0

You can learn about CF's classes from the skill page in www.qhcf.net
Related helpfiles are also available there. CF's website took a hit recently from their old service provider, so the website was lost and CF staff is working on a new one. So, look for the information from in the game, the forums and Dioxide's.

A short summary of CF's classes:

Anti-Paladin

Half warrior, half mage. Has destructive magics and special weapon moves (one skill per known weapon type + standard spear/polearm moves and lash). Anti-paladin is an offensive type of character and doesn't defend very well. Anti-paladins steal a piece of their enemies souls to charge their unholy weapons to be more powerful. Evil class that is hated by Fortress, Outlander and Battle cabals. Members of these cabals tend to attack anti-paladins on sight. AP was voted most difficult class to play by CF's playerbase.

Assassin

Silent killer and martial artist that are able to kill their opponent with a single touch and if that fails, resort to their martial arts to take down their opponent. While assassins do not have customization paths, the class is very versatile and is able to take down any type of enemy using some kind of tactics.

Bard

Bards are travelling musicians that fight using the various illusions created their songs. They are pretty much decent in everything but best at nothing.

Berserker

Orc-only warriors.

Conjurer

Planar mage that summons servitors to his aid and can summon a familiar that is also controlled by the player.

Druid

Nature priest. Should stay in the wilderness to retain his power. Druid is a versatile all-around class. As a priest, druid needs empowerment from his deity.

Healer

A priest completely devoted to various arts of healing. Has lots of healing and protective supplications but is fairly impotent offensively. Needs empowerment.

Invoker

Elemental mage. Controls elements in forms of various destructive spells. Has most destructive spells in terms of raw damage. Elemental paths to specialize in are selected by setting affinities which define how well you learn new spells. Mastering a spell is required to unlock the next spell in the path. Often uses elemental touches instead of weapons.

Necromancer

Undead master mage, specialized in maledictions and can summon an army of undead to their aid. Able to become powerful undead mummies or liches. The becoming involves a quest and has a high risk of permadeath in the process. Evil only, has same enemies as anti-paladins.

Paladin

Holy warrior priests that follow paladin code. Good only. Needs empowerment.

Ranger

Forest warrior of sorts. Can camouflage in wilderness. Customization includes selection of expertise and home terrain. Should stay in wilderness areas for the most of the time.

Shaman

Offensive priest. Shamans are either good or evil. Needs empowerment.

Shapeshifter

Alteration mage, specialized in alteration of self and taking shape of animals. The animals you can shift to are selected randomly from those of right tier available to your shapefocus. Every shapeshifter learns seven animal forms that come from two shapefoci.

Thief

Hides, steals and does dirty tricks. Thieves are very customizable and have various paths, including pickpocket, poisoner, trapper, thug, mystic and kidnapper. Thieves have a point system that allow them to learn skills of their various paths.

Transmuter

Alteration mage, specialized in arcane alterations (hardening skin, altering metabolism rate, changing body elasticity etc.). The alteration is not limited to self.

Warrior

Warriors that specialize in learning different weapons.

incognitoMon 08-Feb-10 02:10 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2582, "RE: New Player Looking for Class"
In response to Reply #0

As others have said, what you are describing sounds like the anti-paladin class. However, anti-paladins are pretty fragile and are generally the enemy of most of the other characters. If you are new, you will get torn apart. When you have more experience, you will be able to compensate through clever tactics or the use of magic wands that reduce the damage you take (or both).

The next best thing is probably an invoker. Their melee isn't great, but they can change their hands to use the different elements to hurt people, which means that when they do hit, it can be quite nasty. Meanwhile their spells are very destructive. Once you reach a certain level you also have decent survivability, because it is harder for people to stop you casting/fleeing, and you have some spells to reduce the damage you take.

Personally, I always recommend assassins for new players. Felar, arial, human all work quite nicely. Felar are the most brawny, arials the most convenient, and humans generally have easier enemies to fight for a long time.

DervishMon 08-Feb-10 05:26 AM
Member since 11th Oct 2003
617 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ
#2581, "RE: New Player Looking for Class"
In response to Reply #0

Your descriptions fits mostly for anti-paladin class. But its quite hard to play, it requires good knowledge of world and wands/sleeks etc. So you will suck. Either know this or pick something else.

Goodie orderly conjurer. Best tank in the game, not really gear dependant, hard to kill, lots of friends since you are a goodie.

Defense/offense shifter. Very good tank, simple class, quite hard to kill unless you got surprised completely. Again I suggest goodie or neutral to get more help.

Assassin or ranger from melee classes. Decent in melee. Can hide. Can heal themselves.

Shaman or paladin. Are not dependant on preps. Hard to kill.

AmberionMon 08-Feb-10 04:32 AM
Member since 06th Jun 2007
945 posts
#2580, "Hah! You've come to the right place!"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Mon 08-Feb-10 04:34 AM

Anti-Paladin, I'd suggest an Arial anti-paladin.

1: Very destructive magics. And sleep.
2: Possibilities of endless powers through harvesting soulds of those you kill.
3: Can wield a spear and do something called "vault". Basically vaults himself up in the air and lands on their victim with the spear first. (Preferably a sleeping victim as those awake have a tendensy to move out of the way.)
4: Bloodlust -> very capable in melee.

Caveeat: In a way this is bost the easiest AND hardest class to play.
1: Most people will hunt you.
2: Most people can kill you if they surprise you. (Before you build up charges.)
3: You are somewhat dependant on the ABS-system (Aura shield barrier) which is VERY hard for a newbie to obtain.

I can't honestly say that I recommend a complete newbie to play an Anti-Paladin as their first character... I suspect it would be a painful experience. They are, however, GREAT fun to play. And a part of the reason for that is the soul gathering.

Once you reach a certain level you can give your weapon an unholy blessing, making it leech a piece of your enemies soul as you kill them. Depending on how many kills/deaths your enemy has you get more or less fragments. And for each fragment you get either +1hit and +1dam or you get +10hp and +10mana. This has no max-limit. We have seen anti-paladins with more than 300 charges. Which basically is insane. Luckily this happens like once every three years or so. ^^

It also means that once you lose that weapon, you lose A LOT! So every fight is a risk. That's why it's so much fun. Endless powers contra big risks.

For a new player this is my recommendations:

human or arial assassin. Join empire if you don't mind learning stuff the hard way. (You'll learn A LOT in the empire if you can stomach it.)
Join the fortress if your more of a goodie. (You will basically be spoonfed information and gear. Not my cup of tea really.)

Good orderly conjurer also works if you want a mage class.

Always shoot first and then call whatever you hit the target.

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #2579 Previous topic | Next topic