Go back to previous topic
Forum Name New Player Q&A
Topic subjectRE: New Player Looking for Class
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2579&mesg_id=2587
2587, RE: New Player Looking for Class
Posted by trewyn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Yeah, the website recently had an accident.

If you're dead set on playing a mage, I will warn you that mages are fodder for a lot of classes. But, they tend to be my favorite class to play because they aren't nearly as fragile as people think. After all, it comes down to whose HP hits 0 first!

So the mages go as follows

Invoker - Elemental mage. Probably the most like a "war mage". Can't wield a sword. I don't recommend this for your first one due to the excessive amount of spell practice required to learn the higher level spells.

Anti-paladin - warrior-mage. They use demon magic. They are hated by the outlanders, the fortress, and like all mages, the village. This is your other choice for a war mage. They can wield a sword. And an axe, and a spear, staff, whips, flails, and maces. Oh, daggers too of course. They can eventually make a weapon that steals souls and gets more powerful every time you kill someone.

Necromancer - undead making mage. They can wield a sword too. Swords, whips, and daggers are about it though. Definitely NOT a war-type mage. But if you can get that sleep spell to land, you stand a very good chance at killing them. They have the option of becoming a mummy, which is powerful, or a lich, which is EXTREMELY powerful. It's not a 100% promise though. You can count on two hands all the mummies and liches ever. (I think...)

Transmuter - living-matter mage. They affect things with metabolisms, which means things without metabolisms or bone structures like golems and ghosts are not affected by their spells. They ARE, however, the most melee oriented pure mage class. This is by far the easiest mage class to learn with. They lack damage spells that affect large groups. That is a designed drawback of theirs. But their single attack spells are like nuclear bombs. Plus with duo dimension, they are very difficult to find when they don't want to be.

Conjurers - planar mages, they can wield swords too (I think), and axes. They rely on beings they summon to do their dirty work. They can be tricky. But if you can figure out their tricks, then you can be a complete wrecking ball and just barrel through a lot of things other mages have troubles with. They have shieldblock too if I'm not mistaken. So you probably want to use something one handed and make use of that shield.

Other magey classes - Priests! Require empowerment. But it's not hard, so don't let that scare you.

Druids - These are kindof magey. Like mages with heal spells. The learning curve with these is fairly steep and yet gentle at the same time. They can wield a spear too! But you'll definitely want to use a shield with this class.

Shamans - These are kind of magey too. They rely on maledictions. When I first played a shaman, I was wowed with their lethality. But then, I was a bashing giant player before I discovered my love of druids and mages. They require a little tact. With the wiser playerbase these days, I don't think they are as deadly as they used to be. But I haven't played one in like 8 or 10 years.

Paladins can be kind of magey. Kind of. Also requires empowerment.

Oh, animist rangers are also kind of magey. Rangers are a good class for newbies to start with.

And last but not least, Bards!

This class is kind of magey too, in that all songs are area effect. A very survivable class. Can use talismans and scrolls too. Can be tough to kill, but then, it can also be a trick to kill with them.