Subject: "I did my own looking...." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #833
Show all folders

TacWed 13-Dec-06 03:58 PM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#834, "I did my own looking...."

And that is hardly a fact. It is one theory of the why. It was posited by Edward Gibbon, and his books are widely heralded for his use of primary sources. As in he used contemporary writings instead of the Church's Latin translations (which are at best secondary sources). It was apparently one of the first historical works to do this, which in my opinion lends undue credence to his theory. This undue credence is (again IMHO) based on the quality of his work instead of the accuracy of his conclusion.

I could (probably) come up with other example of scientists doing fantastic and thorough work only to come up with bunk conclusions or conclusions highly slanted by other motivations, but I'm all tuckered out for now.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicCurious re: Faringo [View all] , Tac, Wed 13-Dec-06 03:42 PM
Reply RE: Curious re: Faringo, Farigno, 15-Dec-06 01:51 AM, #4
Reply I already answered my own question on that..., Tac, 15-Dec-06 09:44 AM, #5
Reply I did my own looking...., Tac, 13-Dec-06 03:58 PM #1
     Reply I lied, I'm not tuckered..., Tac, 13-Dec-06 04:16 PM, #2
          Reply Assimilation has sufficient incentive., Valguarnera, 13-Dec-06 04:45 PM, #3
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #833 Previous topic | Next topic