Subject: "Curious re: Faringo" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #833
Show all folders

TacWed 13-Dec-06 03:42 PM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#833, "Curious re: Faringo"

"Here is my argument: After three months working with them, I spoke more Spanish than 90% of them spoke English, including several of them that had been in the USA for over 10 years. What does this tell me? These people are making no attempts to fit into our culture and have no loyalty to our country. In three months, I had made more of an effort to be inclusive than these people had made in 10 years. They feel that our country needs to adapt to them, and that the people of this country have nothing to make them worth getting to know or to make them worth putting any effort into. A situation like this one is very similar to what caused the fall of the Roman Empire."

How old were you? How old were the people you worked with? Were they 1st generation (born in Mexico) or 2nd generation (born in the USA)? Did you notice any difference in the amount of English spoken between 1st and 2nd generation immigrants (if both were present)?

For perspective (and your education) the following is optional: Please contrast this with another immigrant group like say the Irish during the potato famine. Please find me contemporary (to the immigration) writings about how the Irish were assimilating. Also, after the fact analysis of their contributions/detractions from American society. Also, compare the amount of English spoken by first and second generation Irish immigrants.

You don't have to pick the Irish, so feel free to pick the group of your choosing.

Also, I'd like a citation for your Roman Empire fact.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicCurious re: Faringo [View all] , Tac, Wed 13-Dec-06 03:42 PM
Reply RE: Curious re: Faringo, Farigno, 15-Dec-06 01:51 AM, #4
Reply I already answered my own question on that..., Tac, 15-Dec-06 09:44 AM, #5
Reply I did my own looking...., Tac, 13-Dec-06 03:58 PM, #1
     Reply I lied, I'm not tuckered..., Tac, 13-Dec-06 04:16 PM, #2
          Reply Assimilation has sufficient incentive., Valguarnera, 13-Dec-06 04:45 PM, #3
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #833 Previous topic | Next topic