Subject: "On Gods and Ominpotence" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #39044
Show all folders

dalnekoMon 18-Jul-11 05:54 PM
Member since 28th Feb 2006
268 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#39065, "On Gods and Ominpotence"
Edited on Mon 18-Jul-11 05:57 PM

I'm probably the only one but I've never considered the gods of Thera to be omnipotent at all. I've always approached it as using examples from other religions that have had a pantheon of gods rather than a single one omnipresent deity.

In Greek and Roman mythology the gods were not omnipotent. They didn't know everything. And you could sneak stuff past them almost all the time. Sure they would find out eventually but that's because the gods always had agents/allies/etc who would pass along information to them.

An example of this would be when Hades kidnapped Persephone and her mother, Demeter, had to search for her daughter because she didn't know where she was. When she couldn't find her she made all the crops dry up and Zeus was the one who had to go find her.

But that's just me. So I guess if people look at it from that perspective then it makes sense that your god may not know who you are until they actually meet you. And you can use notes/email to coordinate this.

EDIT: Additionally if you read the mythology of CF you'll see that this perspective is how you should look at it. Especially when the IMMs run easter egg hunts.

"I am an omnipotent god that knows all and sees all.... now where'd my eggs go?"

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicIMMproved communication - 'We know you're not really Om... [View all] , Abernyte, Mon 18-Jul-11 03:15 AM
Reply RE: IMMproved communication - 'We know you're not reall..., ordasen, 18-Jul-11 10:05 PM, #14
Reply On Gods and Ominpotence, dalneko, 18-Jul-11 05:57 PM #12
Reply That's how I see them too, Tsunami, 18-Jul-11 07:47 PM, #13
Reply RE: IMMproved communication - 'We know you're not reall..., Cyradia, 18-Jul-11 03:14 PM, #9
Reply RE: IMMproved communication - 'We know you're not reall..., BaronMySoul (Anonymous), 18-Jul-11 03:59 PM, #10
     Reply RE: IMMproved communication - 'We know you're not reall..., Cyradia, 18-Jul-11 05:20 PM, #11
          Reply RE: IMMproved communication - 'We know you're not reall..., BaronMySoul (Anonymous), 19-Jul-11 11:12 AM, #15
          Reply RE: IMMproved communication - 'We know you're not reall..., Explosion, 19-Jul-11 12:29 PM, #16
Reply Technically I don't see this as hard, MoetEtChandon, 18-Jul-11 11:53 AM, #7
Reply Find a Rom 2.4 codebase + God, some neat possibilities, BaronMySoul (Anonymous), 18-Jul-11 02:52 PM, #8
Reply RE: IMMproved communication - 'We know you're not reall..., Isildur, 18-Jul-11 10:36 AM, #6
Reply RE: IMMproved communication - 'We know you're not reall..., ORB, 18-Jul-11 10:22 AM, #5
Reply And on the other hand, Quixotic, 18-Jul-11 08:28 AM, #3
Reply RE: And on the other hand, Explosion, 18-Jul-11 08:49 AM, #4
Reply +1 nt, Artificial, 18-Jul-11 04:35 AM, #2
Reply I vote for this, very good idea., Explosion, 18-Jul-11 03:33 AM, #1
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #39044 Previous topic | Next topic