Subject: "Cost/Benefit anaylsis" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #522
Show all folders

MylinosMon 25-Sep-06 06:27 PM
Member since 12th Sep 2005
98 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#535, "Cost/Benefit anaylsis"

The problem with looking beyond hard facts (Dollars not being the only hard facts) to non measurable qualitative factors into policy analysis is that you lose the ability to judge the value/outcome of policies based on these factors because there is generaly no way to measure them to begin with.

I did take you initial post in the wrong light, and for that I apologize for not reading it a second time. I think there is real value in trying to ignore non-measurable factors when making decisions so that the results can be weighed against the factors that were used, this way policies can be refined over time in a more precise manner. I understand what you are saying and I do agree that boiling things down to dollars is not always adequate or good. But in general cost/benefit analysis does not only take into account real dollars, economist generally quantify many values when using such tools to guage policies.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicWhat affects me? [View all] , Razoul, Mon 25-Sep-06 09:01 AM
Reply Not that this issue is important to me but (sorry long), Mylinos, 25-Sep-06 12:32 PM, #2
Reply RE: Not that this issue is important to me but (sorry l..., nepenthe, 25-Sep-06 12:37 PM, #3
Reply RE: Not that this issue is important to me but (sorry l..., Mylinos, 25-Sep-06 01:58 PM, #4
     Reply A danger in the government using cost/benefit analysis, Quixotic, 25-Sep-06 04:04 PM, #6
          Reply Well this is just silly., Mylinos, 25-Sep-06 04:42 PM, #9
               Reply That was not meant as a red herring or an argument of e..., Quixotic, 25-Sep-06 05:55 PM, #11
                    Reply Cost/Benefit anaylsis, Mylinos, 25-Sep-06 06:27 PM #12
                         Reply RE: Cost/Benefit anaylsis, Quixotic, 25-Sep-06 07:56 PM, #13
Reply RE: Not that this issue is important to me but (sorry l..., Razoul, 25-Sep-06 04:15 PM, #7
     Reply Don't, Tac, 25-Sep-06 04:33 PM, #8
     Reply RE: Not that this issue is important to me but (sorry l..., Mylinos, 25-Sep-06 04:59 PM, #10
Reply RE: What affects me?, Eskelian, 25-Sep-06 11:10 AM, #1
     Reply A concern I have with a "pay the consequences" approach, Quixotic, 25-Sep-06 03:45 PM, #5
          Reply RE: A concern I have with a, Eskelian, 26-Sep-06 09:13 AM, #14
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #522 Previous topic | Next topic