Subject: "RE: Not that this issue is important to me but (sorry long)" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #522
Show all folders

MylinosMon 25-Sep-06 01:58 PM
Member since 12th Sep 2005
98 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#526, "RE: Not that this issue is important to me but (sorry long)"

Yes, well that is what I was addressing, that the cost to society is less if it is a regulated commodity, then if it is kept in its current status. There are studies done on government spending in regards to the law enforcement portion of my statment, they tend to show large decreases in costs when penalties are reduced. The cost of treatment show less evidence of declining costs. But, the main point of my argument was less that that overall costs would decline, though I believe they would, and more so that changing it to a taxable commodity provides increased revenue. It is this increase in revenue that reduces the social burden of its use.

The problem with drug use/abuse is that it is under most circumstances impossible or at least impractical to enforce prohibition. If we accept this fact, then it is my opinion that looking for alternative less costly methods of control makes more sense. Again, I think drug use is bad and those that part take in it are doing themselves a disservice. I just don't believe that this problem is best handled by criminalizing it.

As for use being "unchecked" I did not say for it to be sold like penny candy, but controled, like alcohol and tobacco, substances that can be of course abused by any who use them, but the prevailing sentiment is that is a personal choice to do so. Personally, I believe most people that want to smoke marijuana and do drugs in general do so, drugs in general are not hard to come by if you wish them, thats the nature of the market for them. And thus, while legalizing would probably come along with an increase in general use, the question would be is this increase causing a greater social cost then any benefits. I doubt this as I mentioned in my previous post, I feel most people that do decided to partake in such potentially harmful activities do so responsibly (That being drink/gamble).

Sorry for the long ass posts, I'm bored at work, and have read to much on this subject.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicWhat affects me? [View all] , Razoul, Mon 25-Sep-06 09:01 AM
Reply Not that this issue is important to me but (sorry long), Mylinos, 25-Sep-06 12:32 PM, #2
Reply RE: Not that this issue is important to me but (sorry l..., nepenthe, 25-Sep-06 12:37 PM, #3
Reply RE: Not that this issue is important to me but (sorry l..., Mylinos, 25-Sep-06 01:58 PM #4
     Reply A danger in the government using cost/benefit analysis, Quixotic, 25-Sep-06 04:04 PM, #6
          Reply Well this is just silly., Mylinos, 25-Sep-06 04:42 PM, #9
               Reply That was not meant as a red herring or an argument of e..., Quixotic, 25-Sep-06 05:55 PM, #11
                    Reply Cost/Benefit anaylsis, Mylinos, 25-Sep-06 06:27 PM, #12
                         Reply RE: Cost/Benefit anaylsis, Quixotic, 25-Sep-06 07:56 PM, #13
Reply RE: Not that this issue is important to me but (sorry l..., Razoul, 25-Sep-06 04:15 PM, #7
     Reply Don't, Tac, 25-Sep-06 04:33 PM, #8
     Reply RE: Not that this issue is important to me but (sorry l..., Mylinos, 25-Sep-06 04:59 PM, #10
Reply RE: What affects me?, Eskelian, 25-Sep-06 11:10 AM, #1
     Reply A concern I have with a "pay the consequences" approach, Quixotic, 25-Sep-06 03:45 PM, #5
          Reply RE: A concern I have with a, Eskelian, 26-Sep-06 09:13 AM, #14
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #522 Previous topic | Next topic