Subject: "RE: What affects me?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #522
Show all folders

EskelianMon 25-Sep-06 11:10 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2023 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#523, "RE: What affects me?"

>>You're correct that it's not a healthy habit-- I don't
>touch
>>it for those reasons, just like I don't touch cigarettes, I
>>don't eat a lot of fatty foods, and I drink only in
>>moderation. That said, it doesn't particularly bother me if
>>other people have unhealthy habits, so long as they don't
>>impact me.
>
>I generally share Valg's attitude here, that if it doesn't
>affect me, I don't care what you do with yourself. Lately,
>though I've been wondering what are the things that affect me.
>Take legalizing marj, you smoking it in your basement doesn't
>affect me, you sitting in your basement not able to pay your
>bills, does. The same can be said for achohol. Now I drink an
>occasional beer, and I smoked pot many years ago, and probably
>wouldn't have a problem with them being legal, but some days I
>don't think either should be legal since most people can't
>handle them responcible. Gambling is another example, if you
>want to gamble for fun, hey have at it, gambling away your
>check to pay the heating bill, and woo wait a minute. Now I,
>we as a society have to pay for that either through your
>premature death, or though some kind of assistance program.
>Seatbelts and helmets are another example, I really could care
>less if you wore either of those, but if you got into an
>accident and end up in a vegatative state and can't take care
>of your family, now it becomes our problem, and not just with
>fact that I, we as society, have to pay to take care of your
>family. I, we as a society now have to raise your children,
>and lately, last I looked, most single parents aren't doing so
>hot, not to mention all the things a kid looses out on when
>one of there parents is missing.
>
>So what I'm asking is where do you draw the line?

This is why you don't set up systems where the 'society' creates a net to handle all possible negative outcomes of someone else's irresponsibility. Plausibly though, most people don't want others to 'fall through the crack's. That being said, when you commit to cleaning up after their messes, then of course there's that bottom line, 'Geez, should we force people to act responsibly or should we pay out the nose for their stupidity?'.

I think the answer would be not to get into that situation to begin with by not entirely shouldering all situations of stupidity with a safety net. However, I'm not with the majority in that sentiment. Obviously its unethical according to the mission statement of the United States to do things like force people to work and force them to do things 'the right way'. Because in practice, you'd have to treat people like 'drones' and it goes against the grain of what America is about.

I'm not sure there's a fine line that is embodied by any sort of justice or wisdom or intellectually but rather a line inspired by what people will and will not accept. From a conceptual standpoint, there isn't much difference between being fined for not wearing a seatbelt and being fined for drinking. However, we see how people have reacted to 'being fined for drinking', its a line in the sand that the public will not tolerate.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicWhat affects me? [View all] , Razoul, Mon 25-Sep-06 09:01 AM
Reply Not that this issue is important to me but (sorry long), Mylinos, 25-Sep-06 12:32 PM, #2
Reply RE: Not that this issue is important to me but (sorry l..., nepenthe, 25-Sep-06 12:37 PM, #3
Reply RE: Not that this issue is important to me but (sorry l..., Mylinos, 25-Sep-06 01:58 PM, #4
     Reply A danger in the government using cost/benefit analysis, Quixotic, 25-Sep-06 04:04 PM, #6
          Reply Well this is just silly., Mylinos, 25-Sep-06 04:42 PM, #9
               Reply That was not meant as a red herring or an argument of e..., Quixotic, 25-Sep-06 05:55 PM, #11
                    Reply Cost/Benefit anaylsis, Mylinos, 25-Sep-06 06:27 PM, #12
                         Reply RE: Cost/Benefit anaylsis, Quixotic, 25-Sep-06 07:56 PM, #13
Reply RE: Not that this issue is important to me but (sorry l..., Razoul, 25-Sep-06 04:15 PM, #7
     Reply Don't, Tac, 25-Sep-06 04:33 PM, #8
     Reply RE: Not that this issue is important to me but (sorry l..., Mylinos, 25-Sep-06 04:59 PM, #10
Reply RE: What affects me?, Eskelian, 25-Sep-06 11:10 AM #1
     Reply A concern I have with a "pay the consequences" approach, Quixotic, 25-Sep-06 03:45 PM, #5
          Reply RE: A concern I have with a, Eskelian, 26-Sep-06 09:13 AM, #14
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #522 Previous topic | Next topic