Subject: "RP vs Respect" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #92797
Show all folders

ValkenarWed 02-Jun-10 03:48 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1203 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#92833, "RP vs Respect"
Edited on Wed 02-Jun-10 03:50 PM

>From a devil's advocate point of view, what you expected out
>of the player is no more "good RP" than what he did. As

Just to clarify, it's not exactly bad RP that he killed me. The bad RP would be hanging out in that spot if I wasn't there. I'd have to be more specific than I want to be to clarify that, but there it is.

>Your enemy walks up to you. Either A) you are standing there
>drooling on yourself like a handicapped kid

Totally legit kill, even if it sucks for me. After all, as a player, or a character, he has no way to tell that I'm not there.

>, or B) the gods
>are protecting you. From a purely objective, IC standpoint,
>the character should have no reservations killing you if it
>can.

Except it's not really great RP for him to sit there waiting for me to be killable. There's no way to RP waiting for someone to stop being linkdead. I'd say best RP is to try a murder, scratch your head, look confused and move on because your enemy is in some strange state of divine protection.

>Just remember that CF is a relatively tiny universe. Give your
>CF time to a game like WoW, for example, and you're going to
>encounter just as many douche bags, if not more.

The problem is that with a small playerbase you end up having one of the five opponents you face being one of these people, even though there's way less than 20% actual a-holes in the playerbase. In a bigger game, that can't really happen. As the playerbase increases you don't have much chance of getting a higher-than-average proportion of a-holes to interact with. But it's a tradeoff, in CF you get to go jerk-free for long periods interspersed with having very high proportions of jerkdom when you're unlucky.

> Assholes and computer trouble are just part of the game.

There are many douchebagish moves in CF that I think fall under the category of fair things that are part of the game. Full-saccing (for no reason)? Part of the game. Dieing from laggy connection? Part of the game. Intenionally exploiting a dropped connection? Not a fair part of the game. As far as I'm concerned, everybody should be trying to minimize the impact of dropped connections. That means not capitalizing on them just to pad your pk stats.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Topic(RAGE DELETE) [None] Nienka the Mistress of the Arcane [View all] , Death_Angel, Tue 01-Jun-10 03:20 PM
Reply One bad apple..., Valkenar, 02-Jun-10 11:01 AM, #1
     Reply Think on the flip side, Rayihn, 02-Jun-10 11:49 AM, #2
     Reply Dropping link ethics, Valkenar, 02-Jun-10 12:41 PM, #5
          Reply This is where qhcf comes in handy., Marin, 02-Jun-10 12:44 PM, #6
          Reply No log, Valkenar, 02-Jun-10 01:00 PM, #8
               Reply RE: No log, sorlag (Anonymous), 02-Jun-10 01:29 PM, #9
               Reply RP vs Respect, Valkenar, 02-Jun-10 03:50 PM #11
                    Reply RE: RP vs Respect, sorlag (Anonymous), 02-Jun-10 04:07 PM, #14
               Reply No, no chats or anything ooc., Marin, 02-Jun-10 01:52 PM, #10
          Reply titles and rewards. , Pro, 03-Jun-10 03:44 PM, #17
     Reply RE: One bad apple..., thendrell, 02-Jun-10 12:06 PM, #3
     Reply RE: One bad apple..., Fjarn, 02-Jun-10 04:00 PM, #13
     Reply RE: One bad apple..., Ageryn, 02-Jun-10 12:23 PM, #4
     Reply Yeah, Valkenar, 02-Jun-10 12:51 PM, #7
     Reply That guy, ORB, 02-Jun-10 03:53 PM, #12
     Reply All right, Valkenar, 04-Jun-10 12:05 PM, #19
     Reply RE: One bad apple..., Daevryn, 02-Jun-10 05:06 PM, #15
     Reply I was the imm you talked to, Fjarn, 02-Jun-10 05:36 PM, #16
          Reply Best sub-thread? Or best sub-thread EVER? n/t, Pro, 03-Jun-10 03:56 PM, #18
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #92797 Previous topic | Next topic