Subject: "Dropping link ethics" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #92797
Show all folders

ValkenarWed 02-Jun-10 12:41 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1203 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#92827, "Dropping link ethics"

>There's a reason we have "safe" zones to quit out in. If
>dropping link was abusable, people would abuse it all the
>time. There have to be consequences for the sake of balance.
>You do disappear off where, you were just unlucky.

I don't want to discuss the legality of it, because I have no say in the rules, and the immortal who talked to me was convinced that what he did was legal. That said, knowing that nobody would even pull him aside and say "hey, why would you pull such a douchey move?" does contribute to me not wanting to play.

Anyway, problem isn't with dieing to this guy in general, dieing because I had computer problems. It was only my second player death, after all. It's that he intentionally used the fact that I was linkdead to his advantage. I've died plenty of times from link problems in my cf career, and never been terribly bothered by it (well, a little peeved at the bad luck, but nothing big). Dieing because of connection issues is, as an immortal pointed out, part of internet gaming. But I think there's a difference between going out of your way (hanging out and waiting for the reconnect) to take OOC advantage of it, and say, continuing an active pursuit of someone who flees from you but then goes linkdead. It's the difference between killing someone only because of link problems, and killing someone despite them.

To explain the situation a bit, I was in a moderately remote place, Jerkguy was nowhere around, and my link went screwy. He then apparently found me, and then sat there (imho, this is a bad RP spot for him to sit) until I reconnected so he could bash me down. I'm not 100% positive, but I'm fairly certain he couldn't score his cheap kill until I reconnected.

I guess in these days of lower player counts I just want and expect people to be a little more sporting about things. If that's not how it is, well, fine, that's too bad and I'll take my hiatus and hope there's more of what I like about CF when I come back.

There's also the fact that if I see this guy getting titled and rewarded for being deadly it will make me want to throw up.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Topic(RAGE DELETE) [None] Nienka the Mistress of the Arcane [View all] , Death_Angel, Tue 01-Jun-10 03:20 PM
Reply One bad apple..., Valkenar, 02-Jun-10 11:01 AM, #1
     Reply Think on the flip side, Rayihn, 02-Jun-10 11:49 AM, #2
     Reply Dropping link ethics, Valkenar, 02-Jun-10 12:41 PM #5
          Reply This is where qhcf comes in handy., Marin, 02-Jun-10 12:44 PM, #6
          Reply No log, Valkenar, 02-Jun-10 01:00 PM, #8
               Reply RE: No log, sorlag (Anonymous), 02-Jun-10 01:29 PM, #9
               Reply RP vs Respect, Valkenar, 02-Jun-10 03:50 PM, #11
                    Reply RE: RP vs Respect, sorlag (Anonymous), 02-Jun-10 04:07 PM, #14
               Reply No, no chats or anything ooc., Marin, 02-Jun-10 01:52 PM, #10
          Reply titles and rewards. , Pro, 03-Jun-10 03:44 PM, #17
     Reply RE: One bad apple..., thendrell, 02-Jun-10 12:06 PM, #3
     Reply RE: One bad apple..., Fjarn, 02-Jun-10 04:00 PM, #13
     Reply RE: One bad apple..., Ageryn, 02-Jun-10 12:23 PM, #4
     Reply Yeah, Valkenar, 02-Jun-10 12:51 PM, #7
     Reply That guy, ORB, 02-Jun-10 03:53 PM, #12
     Reply All right, Valkenar, 04-Jun-10 12:05 PM, #19
     Reply RE: One bad apple..., Daevryn, 02-Jun-10 05:06 PM, #15
     Reply I was the imm you talked to, Fjarn, 02-Jun-10 05:36 PM, #16
          Reply Best sub-thread? Or best sub-thread EVER? n/t, Pro, 03-Jun-10 03:56 PM, #18
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #92797 Previous topic | Next topic