Subject: "Sorry to break this to you..." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #2225
Show all folders

KazraelWed 17-Sep-03 12:27 AM
Member since 06th Mar 2003
26 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2296, "Sorry to break this to you..."

But Chuck Norris is a joke.

No.. really. I can obviously tell that you haven't done anything serious if you actually think Chuck Norris knows anything about martial arts. Shiiit... I could beat Chuck Norris.

Oh yeah... and there's a reason for there being weight divisions in Judo. They say 'all judo moves become useless when there's a difference between the opponents larger than two weight classes'. Reason being, you can't move anyone significantly larger than you. Not enough leverage. I'd imagine the same applies to wrestling, to an even greater extent.

And third, but certainly not last, Chinese martial arts is a joke. Yes.. I'm sure your 'master' told you differently, but frankly, in the Asian community Chinese martial arts *is* *a* *joke*.
I can't tell you how much it amuses us when we see some white guy tell us about how he's trained in the 'martial arts', how he did 'shooto' 'kung-fu', or the best one, 'wooshu'.
We sit there thinking 'please.... that isn't martial arts you moron, that's our version of gymnastics, okay?'
Most forms of the better known martial arts have degenerated into more or less of a sport during the past 50 years or so, Karate and Taekwondo among them. The schools in the States are even worse. I tried this and that since coming to the states looking for a Dojang I liked, I couldn't stand the 'feel good about yourself' motto these places had. 'Take it easy' 'Go at your own pace' 'Slow down'. Hell no. In the end I gave up and took up weightlifting and boxing instead. There's far less #### involved.

I'm not even going to get into your 'fall down and defend better' theory. I hope to god you made that up yourself cause if there's some place out there that actually teaches you that you should lie down before you get into a fight, they should be closed down before they get somebody hurt.

Do yourself a favor. If you're one of the few people who live within a big city with a big Asian population, See if you can find a Dojang teaching 'Guk-jin' Karate. Not just Karate, make sure that it's 'Guk-jin'. Regular Karate is even worse than Taekwondo. Walk in, if you see more kids, women and old balding overweight guys then guys ranging from 15~25, turn around and walk away. A good indication should be scars along the master's knuckles. Guk-jin incorporates a lot of boxing moves done without gloves, so over time a hardened scar tissue develops along the knuckles that prevents the skin from breaking when you're pounding that punching bag.
Even if you signed up, got your 'dobok' belt, even those cute lil protective headgears and gloves, if you realize that this place is a 'take it at your own pace' Dojang, quit.

Find a boxing gym. After learning the basics shadowbox and use the punching bag until you've sweated out at least a pint. Ignore your spasming muscles the next day and keep repeating for a week, going every day until your muscles stop cramping. Continue going at least 3 times a week for the rest of your life. You'll gradually come to realize how little you knew before, and become embarrased about how you bragged to your friends about how you knew 'kung-fu'. But you'll more likely then not be able to beat the #### out of any so called 'martial artists' who try their fancy 'kung-fu' 'lie down before you fight' crap on you.

That said, the best option is to always avoid a fight whenever possible. Running is not for cowards. It takes far more courage to avoid a confrontation then to stand and fight when you know you can beat up that other guy. In the states if you're not out looking for trouble you should 'NEVER' have to get into a fight.
But.... doesn't hurt to be prepared.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy

HOT Locked TopicWarrior idea [View all] , Circuits Edge (inactive user), Fri 12-Sep-03 01:57 PM
Reply I'm confused., Valguarnera, 12-Sep-03 04:32 PM, #1
     Reply RE: I'm confused., Circuits Edge (Anonymous), 12-Sep-03 05:23 PM, #2
          Reply Really..., rome, 16-Sep-03 11:16 AM, #3
          Reply touch o' sarcasm, Bajula, 16-Sep-03 02:43 PM, #4
          Reply Well hell! Let's take it a step further! (useless post), Urden, 16-Sep-03 03:58 PM, #5
               Reply This is what I was wondering about. (n/t), Valguarnera, 16-Sep-03 04:49 PM, #6
               Reply RE: Well hell! Let's take it a step further! (useless p..., Circuits Edge (Anonymous), 16-Sep-03 05:54 PM, #7
               Reply RE:, Gherian, 16-Sep-03 06:52 PM, #8
               Reply RE:, Circuits Edge (Anonymous), 16-Sep-03 08:21 PM, #9
               Reply This is getting very Alice in Wonderland., Valguarnera, 16-Sep-03 08:55 PM, #10
                    Reply RE: This is getting very Alice in Wonderland., Circuits Edge (Anonymous), 16-Sep-03 10:20 PM, #11
                         Reply Sorry to break this to you..., Kazrael, 17-Sep-03 12:27 AM #12
                         Reply RE: Sorry to break this to you..., Circuits Edge (Anonymous), 17-Sep-03 01:46 AM, #13
                              Reply RE: Sorry to break this to you..., Kazrael, 17-Sep-03 03:36 AM, #14
                                   Reply RE: Sorry to break this to you..., Circuits Edge (Anonymous), 17-Sep-03 04:40 AM, #15
                                   Reply Good luck then. Enjoy your wooshu -nt-, Kazrael, 17-Sep-03 05:22 AM, #16
                                   Reply Information, Valkenar, 17-Sep-03 08:18 AM, #18
                                   Reply Few questions, Valkenar, 17-Sep-03 08:39 AM, #19
                         Reply I prefer Valg's names for effects, incognito, 17-Sep-03 07:25 AM, #17
               Reply RE: Well hell! Let's take it a step further! (useless p..., Enbuergo, 17-Sep-03 11:25 AM, #20
                    Reply I really should..., nepenthe, 17-Sep-03 11:48 AM, #21
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #2225 Previous topic | Next topic