Subject: "RE: Where oh where has the art of pk gone?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #129
Show all folders

EnbuergoThu 14-Mar-02 02:40 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
150 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#148, "RE: Where oh where has the art of pk gone?"

>
>>Can you remember the last really scary ranger?
>
>Hegobi, but, well...Delanan. If we move down the ranks from
>Hero there have been plenty of deathful rangers.
>
Delanan? Only one I can think of that even remotely scared me was Phinitz. Others could kill me if I got careless, but Phinitz had talent.

>
>>Or the last Orc that ruled the school?
>
>Nazgauga, but, well...Entropy. Grumplestein, Chuntog,
>Mordizzug were all pretty hoss.
>
I don't want to leak past chars, but I mopped up with all of these.

>
>>How about a thief that terrorized the populace?
>
>Barczack, but, well...Ehren. Nvranjol? Jubair?
>
>They were annoying, but not scary like Matrien or Wollscheid were scary.

>>An arcane transmuter that was more than a one trick pony?
>
>There are plenty of one trick ponies that I consider
>extremely scary. Rituuraj for example, but, well....Dale
>cemetery.
>
Never heard of him. And why is everyone so scared of the cemetary? They key ain't hard to find.

>
>>And when you compare these classes to classes such as conjurors
>>and transmuters that can feasibly be dynamos with only
>>minimal practice...someone high up must like playing 'em,
>>because if game "balance" is what you're aiming for...
>
>I found it far more difficult to kill people with my LG
>Conjie and air/offense tranny than with my thieves and
>assassins. Unfortunately I never hero'd any of the thieves
>and assassins, so maybe that would change my mind. But I
>killed more people from ranks 1-35 with each deleted
>assassin/thief than my air/offense shifter did over 350
>hours. Not for lack of effort either.

You're given me the sad sack with a LG char? And sure, you can sit at lvl 30 with a human thief and be the boss. Hell, I did it for a month or so with Enbuergo. But after you rape that stupid storm giant who just doesn't learn so many times, it gets boring. Let's focus on hero level play, alrighty?

>>I don't play thieves for the firepower, I play them because
>>I like being the underdog (and underdogs they are). I can
>>steal. I can annoy. I am quite a capable killer...but John
>>Q Average Cf'er can be five times the killer I am by
>>choosing air/offense as his next shifter form (not to
>>mention an instant built in cloaking device just by typing
>>"fly").
>
>Assuming I'm not a rager, can't see hidden and don't have
>perma-fly, I'm going to be more scared of the "competant and
>well-geared" thief than of the "competant and well-geared"
>air/offense shifter. Unless perhaps the shifter is acting
>as scout for a huge roaming gang. Say you're playing a
>warrior with a race vuln. Would you rather be chased by a
>Viornsra (sans acidic bite) or jacked by an Enbuergo?

Good question. Let me answer it like this: I would rather be jacked by an Enbuergo than chased by ME in an airform. If I fail the bind, or land a weak backstab with Enb, bye bye...anyone who has half a brain can run away. Fortunately, the recent trend in the cf populace is to leave their brains at home.

>
>>I would imagine not too many immortals watch me, not
>>being in a cabal and all, but I wish someone was trailing me
>>the time I tripped and killed Shilite, landing every
>>cheapshot, and almost dying myself just to his shield. If
>>he had cast a spell--even one--it woulda been coitans.
>
>To me, you just shot down your own argument with this one
>phrase, "hitting every cheapshot". You took a class like
>Invoker, which many people bitch and moan about being
>overpowered, and killed him without him having *any* chance
>to escape. There was nothing he could do but sit there and
>watch himself die. That's not overpowered?

Hitting every cheapshot. Have any idea how lucky that was? Even at 100%? ONE spell off and I woulda died. One. And I'm not bitching or moaning: I'm responding to a point about balance. When extreme fluke luck keeps someone in combat for several ticks (yes, ticks, not rounds--it took me that long to kill him through shields), I have a hard time hearing about how I'm shooting down my own argument.

>I think the point of miscommunication between players and
>staff is in what each means by "overpowered". Most of those
>who complain seem to define it as "difficult or impossible
>to take down in a straight up fight". This would certainly
>include classes like paladin, good conjurer, shifter, and
>invoker. I think the staff, however, consider a class to be
>"overpowered" if it can be used by a skilled player to
>*completely discount* opponents' skill and preparation. In
>other words, if you can use a class/race/cabal combo to bowl
>over highly competant people using an easily repeatable
>method, then that class/race/cabal combo is overpowered.

I still maintain I could do this with ease. And no, I'm not going to, so don't bother telling me to roll up a conjuror to see how tough they really have it.

>A good example of this would be Rituraaj and the Dale
>cemetery. When gaunted there was little chance to escape,
>even if you were carrying the key. So changes were made to
>disable this strategy. Another one is Delanan, the sylvan
>shaman with wall and insects. It's now extremely difficult
>to reproduce this combo.
>
>Given this, I'd put at the top of the list necros, assasins,
>conjies, druids, rangers, and maybe thieves and invokers.
>

I can see where you're coming from, but you're wrong on a few counts. Rangers and thieves are nowhere near the top "pure power"-wise. Smart players can do well with them, but could do better if they wanted *pure pking power* with other classes (by the way, shamen should but up there--just because we've had a rash of incompetant shamen lately doesn't mean they aren't powerful).

>Necros:
>Pros: Sleep + forget + curse + scourge/etc.
>Cons: Skilled people will see you coming and act
>accordingly. Also save vs. spell.

Unfriggin believable powers. But they earn it by getting an ass beating by people like me for 40 ranks. No complaints there.

>
>Conjies:
>Pros: Gaunts + wands + mazey cursed places.
>Cons: Skilled people will take precautions not to be
>gaunted. Furthermore, gaunting is a time-consuming and
>frustrating process.

Gaunts have been, and always will be, completely ridiculous. I will keep saying this until nail shut my coffin.

>
>Assassins:
>Pros: Assassinate.
>Cons: Not many. Skilled or not, unless you have certain
>virtues or can see hidden there's the possibility you'll get
>taken down.

No argument here

>
>Druids:
>Pros: The Hunt. What a crock.
>Cons: Limited to a certain time of the month. Skilled
>people will avoid wildnerss like the plague during this
>time.

Druids can be scary son. Trust me.

>
>Rangers:
>Pros: Snare + bearcharge + scroll use.
>Cons: People can *somewhat* avoid wildneress areas. Bash
>protection nullifies bearcharge.

Stupid people tend to favor rangers, although this doesn't really have anything to do with anything *wink*

>Thieves:
>Pros: Jack + steal + cheap shot + bind + scroll use. Ugly.
>Cons: Not many.

Cons: Only 4 skills to use in combat, three of which are disarm, kick, and dirt kick. Woo.

>Invokers:
>Pros: Invulnerable to most lag, insane damage. Quicksand +
>earthbind.
>Cons: Hard to lag others. With utility spells this argument
>loses force.

Not only does it lose force, this argument is busy pushing up daisies

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

HOT TopicWhere oh where has the art of pk gone? [View all] , Cathoir (Guest), Wed 13-Mar-02 03:27 AM
Reply RE: Where oh where has the art of pk gone?, Valguarnera, 13-Mar-02 04:33 PM, #3
Reply RE: Where oh where has the art of pk gone?, Cathoir (Guest), 13-Mar-02 05:31 PM, #4
Reply RE: Where oh where has the art of pk gone?, Enbuergo, 14-Mar-02 11:47 AM, #5
     Reply RE: Where oh where has the art of pk gone?, Isildur, 14-Mar-02 01:16 PM, #6
          Reply RE: Where oh where has the art of pk gone?, Delanan, 14-Mar-02 02:03 PM, #7
          Reply Quick note re: invokers:, Valguarnera, 14-Mar-02 04:07 PM, #11
               Reply RE: Quick note re: invokers:, ExPaladin (Guest), 15-Mar-02 01:36 PM, #13
               Reply RE: Quick note re: invokers:, nepenthe, 15-Mar-02 02:38 PM, #15
                    Reply RE: Quick note re: invokers:, ExPaladin (Guest), 15-Mar-02 02:52 PM, #17
                         Reply RE: Quick note re: invokers:, nepenthe, 15-Mar-02 03:10 PM, #19
                         Reply My reply, Dallevian, 15-Mar-02 03:49 PM, #23
                              Reply RE: My reply, nepenthe, 15-Mar-02 05:05 PM, #30
                                   Reply Heh, Dallevian, 16-Mar-02 12:10 AM, #32
                                        Reply I'm honored., Boldereth, 16-Mar-02 02:59 PM, #33
                                             Reply This thread started out as a comment on lack of PK stra..., Johan (Guest), 16-Mar-02 11:52 PM, #36
                                             Reply RE: This thread started out as a comment on lack of PK ..., Boldereth, 17-Mar-02 03:13 AM, #39
                                                  Reply RE: This thread started out as a comment on lack of PK ..., Valguarnera, 17-Mar-02 02:30 PM, #42
                                             Reply RE: I'm honored., nepenthe, 17-Mar-02 03:05 AM, #38
                                                  Reply RE: I'm honored., Jhyrbian, 18-Mar-02 11:08 AM, #45
                         Reply RE: Quick note re: invokers:, Kadsuane, 15-Mar-02 03:12 PM, #20
                              Reply RE: Quick note re: invokers:, ExPaladin (Guest), 15-Mar-02 03:22 PM, #21
                              Reply RE: Quick note re: invokers:, Cathoir (Guest), 15-Mar-02 04:29 PM, #27
               Reply What Ex-paladin was trying to say (plus more), Brotmin, 15-Mar-02 03:42 PM, #22
                    Reply RE: What Ex-paladin was trying to say (plus more), Valguarnera, 15-Mar-02 04:47 PM, #28
                         Reply RE: What Ex-paladin was trying to say (plus more), Hutto, 15-Mar-02 11:21 PM, #31
                         Reply RE: What Ex-paladin was trying to say (plus more), Boldereth, 16-Mar-02 03:14 PM, #34
          Reply RE: Where oh where has the art of pk gone?, Enbuergo, 14-Mar-02 02:40 PM #8
          Reply Some answers.., Nightgaunt, 14-Mar-02 03:32 PM, #9
          Reply RE: Where oh where has the art of pk gone?, Isildur, 14-Mar-02 03:36 PM, #10
          Reply RE: Where oh where has the art of pk gone?, DOA, 15-Mar-02 01:28 PM, #12
          Reply RE: Where oh where has the art of pk gone?, nepenthe, 15-Mar-02 02:48 PM, #16
               Reply Thieves, Cathoir (Guest), 15-Mar-02 04:02 PM, #24
               Reply RE: Where oh where has the art of pk gone?, DOA, 16-Mar-02 06:37 PM, #35
                    Reply RE: Where oh where has the art of pk gone?, nepenthe, 17-Mar-02 02:49 AM, #37
                         Reply RE: Where oh where has the art of pk gone?, Zulghinlour, 17-Mar-02 04:01 AM, #40
                              Reply Valg makes history!, Valguarnera, 17-Mar-02 02:23 PM, #41
                              Reply RE: Valg makes history!, Delanan, 17-Mar-02 02:34 PM, #43
                                   Reply RE: Valg makes history!, Isildur, 17-Mar-02 03:29 PM, #44
                              Reply no offense but Draktha sucked, jasmin, 18-Mar-02 01:49 PM, #46
          Reply RE: Where oh where has the art of pk gone?, Nivek, 15-Mar-02 02:20 PM, #14
               Reply rangers and scrolls/staves, nepenthe, 15-Mar-02 02:55 PM, #18
               Reply RE: Where oh where has the art of pk gone?, Isildur, 15-Mar-02 04:06 PM, #25
                    Reply In all fairness to Hegobi..., Delanan, 15-Mar-02 04:22 PM, #26
                         Reply Kamal? Or was that the dwarf healer? n/t, Dallevian, 15-Mar-02 04:59 PM, #29
Reply RE: Where oh where has the art of pk gone?, Angel of Death (Guest), 13-Mar-02 01:08 PM, #1
     Reply I disagree with near everything, Dallevian, 13-Mar-02 01:27 PM, #2
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #129 Previous topic | Next topic