Subject: "RE: welcom page revisions" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Marketing CF Topic #357
Show all folders

StunnaWed 19-Dec-07 02:01 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1048 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#361, "RE: welcom page revisions"

>1. It's about time!

Between work, the holidays and trying to play my mort enough to be a leader it's been tough. Sowwies.

>2. What do you mean add features/benefits? To your Top Five?

Yea... I think there is more to be said about why CF is teh awesome. A top five could be 7, 8, 9 or even 27. People will read enough to excite them and move on, so the more the merrier.

>
>3. Why on white? Easier to read? Stands out more? Because
>red looks better? The reason I ask is because I'm not sure I
>can do this - I think it requires more knowledge of .php than
>I have (currently, I don't even know what .php is or what it
>stands for). Would it kill us to take the easy way out and
>leave it on the current black background?

Easier to read is right, but not exactly right. The enemy of any advertisement is difficulty to read and understand. Any difficulty in following the ad will result in a disconnect you'll never recover from. Picture a guy watching commercials - he's got his remote in hand waiting for an instant of boredom. His show runs straight into a Bud Light commercial, and he watches it because beer commercials are funny. Next one is a commercial for gov't issued coins, of which he is an avid collector - he watches, commercial three is Geico and hilarity ensues, commercial four they start talking about tampons and *CLICK* he's gone. At the first disconnect for him in the advertising he tuned out.

Same thing happens with a sales letter. Difficulty factors pile up one on one... maybe the letter is written in verbiage that's difficult for the prospect, then on top of that the little tidbits meant to be funny and interesting don't do it for him, and then the background color and text is hard to read ---- and then and then and then ----- There can be dozens of little things that on their own don't make him tune out, but when stacked together will. The thing you have to do with a sales letter is eliminate as many of those little things as possible.

ALSO advertising should always be visually interesting. The more eye-popping the more readership. Contrast is very important.

Lastly, it's what people are most accustomed to. This might be the best reason...

>
>4. I'll get this up tonight after work.

I didn't proofread it, because I don't proofread my own stuff. This is a first draft, kinda figured we'd kick it around a bit. But that's okay, put it up and we'll kick it around and tweak it later. Money loves speed!

Throw #### against the wall and see what sticks, wipe the rest up on it's way down. Marketing words to live by.

>
>Thanks! I like this a lot; I think it does a better job of
>grabbing a new player from a variety of different verticals,
>so we can have just one "welcome" page.

No prob. Once that is up I'll take a look at improving PPC and banners... then all we have to do is make list of website to put them on.

>
>Kastellyn the Devourer of Magic, Lord of Legends

>
>*** Email me your testimonials or two-line blurbs. Help our
>marketing efforts! ***

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

HOT Topicwelcom page revisions [View all] , Stunna, Wed 19-Dec-07 11:28 AM
Reply Page is Up, Kastellyn, 26-Dec-07 02:02 PM, #14
Reply I am working on..., Mekantos, 26-Dec-07 03:19 PM, #15
Reply RE: Page is Up, HammerSong, 26-Dec-07 03:38 PM, #16
Reply RE: Page is Up, HammerSong, 26-Dec-07 03:44 PM, #17
     Reply RE: Page is Up, Amberion, 26-Dec-07 05:52 PM, #18
Reply Comments, DurNominator, 27-Dec-07 05:54 AM, #19
Reply RE: Page is Up, Tahren, 02-Jan-08 11:22 AM, #20
Reply RE: Page is Up, Splntrd, 06-Feb-08 05:22 PM, #21
Reply constructive (hopefully) critique, Tahren, 19-Dec-07 04:56 PM, #9
Reply oooooooh good one, Stunna, 19-Dec-07 05:16 PM, #11
     Reply I think this is also a market/area thing, elmeri_, 19-Dec-07 06:52 PM, #13
Reply My IMHO, Dervish, 19-Dec-07 04:16 PM, #7
Reply RE: My IMHO, Stunna, 19-Dec-07 04:51 PM, #8
     Reply RE: My IMHO, Dervish, 19-Dec-07 05:13 PM, #10
     Reply Heh...., Tac, 19-Dec-07 05:29 PM, #12
Reply It gives me the error when I am trying to open the file..., Dervish, 19-Dec-07 03:17 PM, #5
Reply That's because it is really a Word doc and not a zip fi..., nebel, 19-Dec-07 03:41 PM, #6
Reply RE: welcom page revisions, Kastellyn, 19-Dec-07 12:58 PM, #2
Reply RE: welcom page revisions, Daevryn, 19-Dec-07 01:39 PM, #3
Reply RE: welcom page revisions, Stunna, 19-Dec-07 02:01 PM #4
Reply I = R-tard . Attachment here., Stunna, 19-Dec-07 11:29 AM, #1
Top General Discussions Marketing CF Topic #357 Previous topic | Next topic