Subject: ""It's just not a 'Duh' choice anymore." (IDEA)" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #2816
Show all folders

IsildurMon 03-Nov-03 12:04 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2816, ""It's just not a 'Duh' choice anymore." (IDEA)"

Vanish. Used to be a "Duh" choice for ass/flee assassins. Now it's a "Duh" choice in the sense that there are very few situations where it's actually the best option.

If the goal of the nerfing was to make it risky to assassinate, why not just make it impossible (or work crappily) for some duration after a failed assassination?

This would address the issue of riskless-assassination without making vanish {mostly} useless.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE:, nepenthe, 03-Nov-03 11:59 PM, #2
Reply RE:, Isildur, 04-Nov-03 12:55 AM, #3
     Reply RE:, nepenthe, 04-Nov-03 09:04 PM, #6
          Reply RE:, Isildur, 04-Nov-03 11:33 PM, #7
Reply RE: Underpowered assassins., Valguarnera, 03-Nov-03 08:58 PM, #1
     Reply I still think vanish is kinda bs, Phaistus, 04-Nov-03 07:07 PM, #4
          Reply RE: I still think vanish is kinda bs, nepenthe, 04-Nov-03 09:00 PM, #5
               Reply still..., vorian, 20-Mar-11 09:53 AM, #8
                    Reply I summon...Thread Necromancer! nt, Artificial, 20-Mar-11 10:51 AM, #9
                         Reply RE: I summon...Thread Necromancer! nt, Isildur, 20-Mar-11 09:26 PM, #10
                         Reply RE: I summon...Thread Necromancer! nt, Oldril, 21-Mar-11 11:56 AM, #11
                              Reply RE: I summon...Thread Necromancer! nt, Isildur, 21-Mar-11 03:21 PM, #12
                         Reply Well..., vorian, 21-Mar-11 07:35 PM, #13
                              Reply RE: Well..., vargal, 21-Mar-11 07:47 PM, #14

nepentheMon 03-Nov-03 11:59 PM
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2836, "RE:"
In response to Reply #0

>Now it's a "Duh" choice in the sense that there are very few
>situations where it's actually the best option.

I'd disagree with that statement.

Ultimately, if you find it doesn't work for what you're trying to do with it, you can try to use it in a different way, or you can just choose to pretend you don't have the skill... but I claim it is still worthwhile, even in some of the situations you probably think it isn't.

IsildurTue 04-Nov-03 12:54 AM
5969 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2840, "RE:"
In response to Reply #2
Edited on Tue 04-Nov-03 12:55 AM

>Ultimately, if you find it doesn't work for what you're trying
>to do with it, you can try to use it in a different way, or
>you can just choose to pretend you don't have the skill... but
>I claim it is still worthwhile, even in some of the situations
>you probably think it isn't.

I'm not trying to imply vanish is a "useless" skill. I'm just saying that it's now useless in some circumstances where it was formerly useful...possibly more than was intended.

It was my assumption that the change was made primarily to prevent ass;vanish, but I'm realizing that's probably incorrect.

Ways to use neo-vanish:

1. Jumping ahead of someone on a road to cut them off.
2. Jumping across an area to save movement points.
3. Jumping across an area to avoid a mazey or cursed patch.
4. Jumping into part of an area that would otherwise require a key.
5. Desperation move when summoned into a locked room and attacked.
6. Desperation move when losing to a pole spec or thief w/ cutoff.
7. Desperation move when stuck in quicksand.
8. Vanishing to throw a tracking mob off your trail.

Basically, imho, vanish isn't wise to attempt in combat outside the desperation scenarios described above, and maybe a few other similar ones I've forgotten. If I'm fighting a warrior on Eastern Road, even if it's a rager with deathblow parting blows, I'm going with flee;quaff over vanish.

nepentheTue 04-Nov-03 09:04 PM
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2864, "RE:"
In response to Reply #3

>It was my assumption that the change was made primarily to
>prevent ass;vanish, but I'm realizing that's probably
>incorrect.

Sort of. ass; vanish might have called to our attention the previous state of the skill; I forget.

Basically, once upon a time vanish worked half the time in combat.

Sometime later, I think around when assassins got their last big revamp, Cador talked to me about that, and he got me to agree that in the light of various changes that had taken place, it should be a little more reliable than that.

Sometime later I noticed that 'a little more reliable' had become 'never fails' and redressed it.

It now works somewhere between half the time and all the time in combat.

IsildurTue 04-Nov-03 11:33 PM
5969 posts
#2870, "RE:"
In response to Reply #6

Gah. My luck sucks then. Or else there are other factors at work. (Number of exits, etc.)

ValguarneraMon 03-Nov-03 08:58 PM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2828, "RE: Underpowered assassins."
In response to Reply #0

I checked with someone involved with assassin design a little while back, and Vanish was never designed to work as often as it did. It sort of slipped through, and never got fixed until much later, when people took a fresh look at the class and pinpointed some of the reasons why skilled players basically don't die playing them.

An unstoppable skill (short of lag/paralysis, which stops nearly anything) that removes you from combat and does it in a confusing way for your opponent... shouldn't work often. If there were more counters to it (the way Curse and other abilities take out Word, or needing to get out of combat (and risk accidentally casting it after being re-engaged) for Teleport, etc., I'd feel more sorry for them. But as of now, I really don't.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

PhaistusTue 04-Nov-03 07:07 PM
Member since 27th Aug 2003
186 posts
#2861, "I still think vanish is kinda bs"
In response to Reply #1

The fact that you can throw down a globe and end up like 50 rooms away (eastern road) seems highly suspicious to me and very unrealistic. I would be all for vanish working as often as it used to but only taking the assassin perhaps a room or two in a random viable direction. Furthermore, vanishing out of rooms with closed doors also seems highly suspect.

nepentheTue 04-Nov-03 09:00 PM
3430 posts
#2863, "RE: I still think vanish is kinda bs"
In response to Reply #4

Vanish is sorta s'posed to be a 'How the heck did he do that?' kind of skill, FYI.

vorianSun 20-Mar-11 09:53 AM
Member since 23rd Oct 2009
212 posts
#37377, "still..."
In response to Reply #5

>Vanish is sorta s'posed to be a 'How the heck did he do
>that?' kind of skill, FYI.

Many of us have seen how vanish works in ninja movies. So I will agree with Phaitus's point of view and suggestions because there's a big difference between unrealistic and 'How the heck did he do that?'.

I guess the real question is 'Would it be too much work, in term of programming, to make vanish more realistic?'
I surely cannot answer this and I cannot consider it as a bad reason for Imms to leave vanish as it is : we, players, should never forget they are doing the job of keeping this game up for free...

ArtificialSun 20-Mar-11 10:51 AM
Member since 22nd Apr 2008
1180 posts
#37378, "I summon...Thread Necromancer! nt"
In response to Reply #8

nt

IsildurSun 20-Mar-11 09:26 PM
5969 posts
#37383, "RE: I summon...Thread Necromancer! nt"
In response to Reply #9

No kidding. When I saw this my first thought was, "Huh, I don't remember posting that." Now I understand why. It was six years ago.

Also: I retract my original complaint about vanish being over-nerfed. I think I posted this immediately after dying to some warrior in a fight where I failed vanish four times in a row.

OldrilMon 21-Mar-11 11:56 AM
Member since 20th Jan 2011
641 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#37391, "RE: I summon...Thread Necromancer! nt"
In response to Reply #10

Nep's post is nov 03 this is march 11, thats 7+ years wow

IsildurMon 21-Mar-11 03:21 PM
5969 posts
#37408, "RE: I summon...Thread Necromancer! nt"
In response to Reply #11

Math is hard.

vorianMon 21-Mar-11 07:35 PM
Member since 23rd Oct 2009
212 posts
#37423, "Well..."
In response to Reply #9

Wish I was as good summoner as you are.

I'm not able to find the thread... It would be nice if someone could reply to this post with a copy of it.

Thank you.

vargalMon 21-Mar-11 07:47 PM
Member since 07th Apr 2004
384 posts
#37425, "RE: Well..."
In response to Reply #13

1. It's a comment on the fact that this thread is ancient, more than 7 years old.

2. Vanish isn't broken.

3. CF isn't meant to be realistic. Vault is a skill which allows an anti-paladin to jump high into the air and impale a victim on the ground, with only an echo of "with demonic strength" as explanation. Will Vault be next on your list of skills to nerf? (Sorry for the strawman, but I find this particular one entertaining)

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #2816 Previous topic | Next topic