Subject: "My responses:" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #39721
Show all folders

StraklawSun 21-Aug-11 06:47 PM
Member since 10th Mar 2003
1014 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#39732, "My responses:"

My personal opinions/answers to Thror's questions. For posterity's sake, my previous BattleRagers

<51 Elf War> Agritaxil the Knight Hero, Veteran of Battle (Berserker)
<50 Fire War> Kraern the Master of War (Defender)
<51 Arial War> Rhuean the Insightful Tactician, Drillmaster of Battle (Defender. Yes, that arial mob in the village now)
<51 Arial War> Janakt the Knight Hero (Defender)
<47 Fire War> Trekalsh the Captain (Berserker)

>Let's start by identifying the defining aspect of Battle.
>Courage.
>
>What is it? When do you display it? Who defines it? What
>are examples of Courage?

Courage is generally defined as being able to act without fear, or my preferred response being that you're able to overcome your fears, and act towards a purpose still.

Given my preferred definition, you cannot display courage until you have fear. There's no fear until there's risk. Therefore, the definition of what is courageous ULTIMATELY is dependant upon each person. Picking a flower isn't typically the most courageous act in the world. If you're the guy who gets stung by a bee EVERY time you pick a flower...well, maybe now that's very courageous for you.

Very much like the Knights and Honor....the TRUE judge is oneself. However, there are those who have great experience with the matter, or in CF world are embodiments of such things (Cador, Gods of Courage, etc). They're the one who would more likely bust people over excessive cowardice compared to saying what IS Courage. I personally despise Oldril's answer of Berserkers. Particularly as such a Defender addict, even their helpfile points out that Courage is not a Berserker-exclusive trait.

Example of true Courage - taking risks, to achieve a greater goal. Hence why bashing poor unshifted gnome not nessecarily courageous (Really? Unshifted gnome?), but not really cowardice either (there's also the chance he's already ABS'd up and shifts into that lion to pwn your face). However, the last time three of you went charging after Ahtieli you all died horrible, and it's just as likely five of you are about to all die horrible deaths, so it's still courageous. It's ANYTHING that takes your character outside their comfort zone, which I feel is the one area many PLAYERS tend to fail at yet, as they themselves aren't willing to take that chance to succeed, despite the fear of (dying for the char/loosing shinies as the player).

This part, I feel confident with my answers.

>Let's then define a secondary aspect of Battle. Parity.
>
>What is it? When do you display it? Who defines it? What
>are examples of Parity?

This part, I feel is much more involved with the Tablet and War Room, and it's been awhile since I've played a Rager, so I could be rusty around the edges.

Parity is, by definition "equivalence". As to its application for Ragers, it's sort of a beginner's guidebook to displaying your own prowess, pride, & strength. Also perhaps a LITTLE bit of an "enforced Courage". The idea being that if you're to be the greatest warriors, you should go about proving it. This I could be wrong, but while Courage is born of the individual, Parity as the Ragers go is handed down by the Gods of Battle via the Tablet/War Room. This is displayed in the individual skirmishes BattleRagers fight throughout Thera. I come across random mage, I'll handle him myself. I come across random Paladin who wants me dead because I'm a despicable evil bastard who kills mages without remorse? It's my own little skirmish.

Examples - Anything making for keeping a "fair fight" (equivalence), would be ideas Parity.

>To the Battle cabal, there is the Siege and the Skirmish. How
>do the above apply in these situations?

Don't think I'd heard Siege comparison, but I would assume that's the general "raid situation" comparison. My assumption would be the Siege would be best referring to the long war against magic. It does not end, and the comparison is apt. Whereas Skirmishes are each Villager's random fights that are always occuring across Thera. As the defining aspect in of BattleRagers, Courage should be applied to all things. Parity, however, is primarily an aspect of the Skirmishes. Minor battles in the great war, parity is an aspect which helps one show their strength and prowess in war. However, when it comes to decisive battles of the great war (Raids, taking out particularly high-value targets...Lichs, some ridiculously powerful APs, overpowered Scion Conjie Leaders, etc), one shouldn't worry over parity to prove one's personal pride, compared to the more important siege.

As a final note, I would like to point out that there's many times a Rager might choose to be Courageous (perhaps excessively), and act in a way that also increase Parity in say...choosing to fight the enemy leader alone while others focus on a raid. Overall, Courage does not REQUIRE Parity, but they are positively related.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy

HOT Locked TopicThror's Challenge [View all] , Artificial, Sun 21-Aug-11 02:59 PM
Reply Call me stupid, Artificial, 22-Aug-11 04:57 PM, #35
Reply No Villager would consider himself a .6 or a .7, Homard, 22-Aug-11 05:47 PM, #36
Reply "there have been none in the 5th Age" is incorrect, Tsunami, 22-Aug-11 05:51 PM, #37
Reply You're stupid., ORB, 22-Aug-11 06:10 PM, #38
Reply Please make a copy of this thread in the Battle forum. ..., Quixotic, 22-Aug-11 04:29 PM, #34
Reply Great posts. Explains a couple things I hadn't consider..., Lhydia, 22-Aug-11 06:53 AM, #27
Reply Cosign nt, Gaplemo, 22-Aug-11 04:24 PM, #33
Reply RE: Thror's Challenge, HammerSong, 21-Aug-11 03:33 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Thror's Challenge, Oldril, 21-Aug-11 03:37 PM, #2
     Reply RE: Thror's Challenge, HammerSong, 21-Aug-11 04:07 PM, #3
     Reply Feel free to clarify, Oldril, 21-Aug-11 04:43 PM, #5
          Reply RE: Feel free to clarify, HammerSong, 21-Aug-11 04:51 PM, #6
               Reply Agree, Oldril, 21-Aug-11 05:15 PM, #8
               Reply RE: Feel free to clarify, GrahamC, 22-Aug-11 02:30 PM, #31
     Reply RE: Thror's Challenge, Isildur, 21-Aug-11 04:10 PM, #4
     Reply RE: Thror's Challenge, Phawa (Anonymous), 21-Aug-11 05:12 PM, #7
     Reply I feel like there are OOC and IC aspects of courage and..., Vortex Magus, 21-Aug-11 06:43 PM, #9
     Reply RE: I feel like there are OOC and IC aspects of courage..., HammerSong, 21-Aug-11 07:35 PM, #12
     Reply My responses:, Straklaw, 21-Aug-11 06:47 PM #10
     Reply RE: My responses:, HammerSong, 21-Aug-11 07:25 PM, #11
     Reply RE: Thror's Challenge, Tesline, 21-Aug-11 07:57 PM, #13
     Reply RE: Thror's Challenge, Quas (Anonymous), 21-Aug-11 08:02 PM, #14
     Reply RE: Thror's Challenge, Scrimbul, 21-Aug-11 08:06 PM, #15
     Reply Honestly you can kill a villager easy, Tesline, 21-Aug-11 08:30 PM, #16
     Reply RE: Honestly you can kill a villager easy, Scrimbul, 21-Aug-11 10:05 PM, #20
     Reply RE: Thror's Challenge, HammerSong, 21-Aug-11 10:56 PM, #24
     Reply My own thoughts., TMNS, 21-Aug-11 08:40 PM, #17
     Reply Defining Courage, HammerSong, 21-Aug-11 09:29 PM, #18
     Reply So this is...uh...interesting...but, Artificial, 21-Aug-11 09:53 PM, #19
     Reply RE: So this is...uh...interesting...but, HammerSong, 21-Aug-11 10:13 PM, #21
     Reply I'm curious..., Bajula, 22-Aug-11 09:11 AM, #28
     Reply Defining Parity, HammerSong, 21-Aug-11 10:21 PM, #22
     Reply The Siege and the Skirmish, HammerSong, 21-Aug-11 10:54 PM, #23
     Reply My issue is with..., Abernyte, 22-Aug-11 02:08 PM, #29
          Reply Phone being weird, Abernyte, 22-Aug-11 02:13 PM, #30
               Reply Umm No, Quas (Anonymous), 22-Aug-11 02:38 PM, #32
     Reply Thanks so much for posting these in much more detail!, Oldril, 21-Aug-11 11:29 PM, #25
          Reply Almost makes me want to roll a villager., TMNS, 22-Aug-11 12:45 AM, #26
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #39721 Previous topic | Next topic