Subject: "The current state of CarrionFields." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #17778
Show all folders

aglMon 14-May-07 08:33 AM
Member since 14th May 2007
4 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17778, "The current state of CarrionFields."

Hi folks,

Its been a couple years since I played a serious character, have played off and on for about 12 or so years and coming back to what is left of Carrion Fields is really depressing.

I mean the game itself has always been a lot of fun, I enjoy the areas, the races/classes are cool. I'm really impressed what these implementors did to make and MAINTAIN this MuD.

But what has been eating at me since I started playing these past few months, is the PLAYER-BASE being really piss poor. I wasn't going to say anything, and judging by the interactions I have gotten IC, most of you couldn't care less. I was just going to play my last character out and put the game back on the shelf for another few years, end of story.

I just can't imagine I would be the only one to have a few of the same observations, so I wanted to put this out there:

I cannot believe the level of role-playing going down on CF! It does blow my mind how people can think that is role play. From what I can tell, it has become common practice to act like an asshole in response to any opportunity to play your role. You just 'cop' an attitude of a prick and basically tell people off like you are a lawyer defending your actions, not much of the explaining. Now granted this isn't a must, but if your playing a multi-user game you have to realize that the game isn't all about you. Other people are playing and trying to get some enjoyment out of it, not just take out their RL frustrations on people who are probably trying to escape RL so they can have some fun.

Now of course I realize the game isn't all about me either, but I have several speculations on why the number of people who hold consistent characters has dropped. Getting PKed really isn't that big of a deal, I remember when I used to think so, and I can understand new players taking it hard. But you gotta die, sooner or later. But how are you going to feel if you never had a chance, your opponents decide to take your stuff, and then the only interaction you get is some more of that "prick" ####, basically in CF lingo telling you to suck it. I don't care who you are, you gotta be pretty high to have that roll right off you and keep going. It's often why people rage delete.

That said, and I know this logic makes sense. Even from a 'role-played' perspective, why would you want your opponents to rage delete or quit and not come back, pretty soon you will find yourself all alone? I KNOW there used to be some really great players, who could pk all day, and have people coming back for more. Because it was fun, it was a challenge, sweaty palmed excitement. Not because they insulted you when you didn't do what they wanted you to do, like come fight them somewhere because they said so, or because you were about to die and so you fled, and they start sending you tells insulting you like it's going to make you come back and get killed.

The Heralds of the Eternal Star are probably the coolest bunch on the whole game, and I would still say that even if they PKed the #### out of everyone, gang-bang style. Why? Because they are having fun, they clearly play the game for different reasons. They send neat poems and stuff to everyone for the love of it, not because they are trying to impress the imms or something. (They are the few who might have a role that makes them really friendly to all people and enjoys helping people out and adding to their fun)

I actually have a few more rants but I'm starting to sound silly to myself so I'll finish up what I wanted to say with this..

It is clear that the immortals are catering to what's left of their playerbase, but lets face it. New players are not coming by the droves to check out CF. Many who do are driven away. Older and respected players have disappeared. (And I KNOW this is true, it would be obvious if they still played the game, because their presence would be felt.) I attribute this to the piss-poor "mandatory role-playing, and to the attitudes of a majority of the playerbase.

Or are there other reasons?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicThe current state of CarrionFields. [View all] , agl, Mon 14-May-07 08:33 AM
Reply RE: The current state of CarrionFields., Igsoeh, 15-May-07 05:28 PM, #13
Reply I'm sure your tough rocks attitude goes well with your...., agl, 16-May-07 08:54 PM, #16
     Reply I guess your (and my) idea of RP differs., Scrimbul, 16-May-07 11:38 PM, #17
     Reply I really have to wonder if you are trolling, A2, 17-May-07 02:41 PM, #18
Reply RE: The current state of CarrionFields., A2, 15-May-07 04:16 AM, #8
Reply Word, DurNominator, 15-May-07 06:44 AM, #9
     Reply What I think the original poster is trying to say.., jasmin, 15-May-07 10:14 AM, #11
Reply I'll agree with you if nobody else will.., Derexal, 14-May-07 06:03 PM, #7
Reply Trolly McTrollerson. nt, Larcat, 15-May-07 08:00 AM, #10
     Reply Sorry, that wasn't a troll., Derexal, 15-May-07 08:20 PM, #14
          Reply I'm not crazy! You're crazy! You're all crazy!, vargal, 16-May-07 01:49 AM, #15
Reply Lower roleplay standard? Not by a long shot., _Magus_, 14-May-07 11:48 AM, #5
Reply Got to say, you've hit something big there., GinGa, 14-May-07 12:42 PM, #6
Reply This a joke?, ORB, 14-May-07 11:27 AM, #4
Reply I find at 40+, the roleplay is damn fine across the boa..., GinGa, 14-May-07 10:36 AM, #3
Reply We aren't playing the same game, or at least the same t..., Quixotic, 14-May-07 10:15 AM, #2
Reply I THINK MY GUT JUST BUSTED txt, Larcat, 14-May-07 08:37 AM, #1
     Reply RE: I THINK MY GUT JUST BUSTED txt, incognito, 15-May-07 02:24 PM, #12
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #17778 Previous topic | Next topic