Subject: "Jormyr's Description Help" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #4478
Show all folders

JormyrMon 26-Oct-15 07:26 PM
Member since 31st Dec 2014
419 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4478, "Jormyr's Description Help"
Edited on Mon 26-Oct-15 07:32 PM

I'd like to start this by saying ultimately, your description is entirely up to you. This guide is strictly MY method on how I come up with a description, and also how I often help people through a description in the description room.

Also, please keep in mind that these are ideas and suggestions. If you're truly lost, be certain to read HELP DESCRIPTION and HELP DESCRIPTION EXTRA to begin, and that any final assessment of a particular description is in the hands of the Immortal looking at it.

My theory is that I try to think about how I would describe a person I might look at on the street. Then I write a sentence or two describing how I might define my character for each trait. Typically by the time this is done, you've easily gotten 6-8 lines, which is often a reasonable description.

1) Typically, I start out with quick glance information. Things you could notice easily. Size, race, height, weight, sex, possibly a comment towards a general stance.

2) Face. There's a LOT of information and detail you can give about a character's face. Eye color, hair color, hair style, nose. Ears, teeth are more noticeable for some races as well.

3) Major body parts. Torso, arms, legs. Stocky? Muscular? Thin? Athletic? Tanned? I don't always make a comment towards arms & legs, but there's often something that can be said.

4) Hands. There's almost ALWAYS something that can be said about a character's hands. It's how you interact with the world. A warrior could be calloused with a firm grip. A thief's could be slender and dextrous. A scholar ink-stained, etc.

5) Unique features & personal items. These are all things that can give your character a bit of unique flair. Do they have any visible tattoos? Scars? Personal items which might be visible on the character. Often this is a point where one could mention an item that could be commonly on your person or in use. Style of weapon, shield, spellbook, thief tools.

Once again, this is totally just the process *I* use to come up with descriptions for my characters, and is shared to help give ideas to others. I will deny any knowledge, or use of this post as defense of a player's actions. Offer not valid in CA, NY, and void where prohibited by law.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicJormyr's Description Help [View all] , Jormyr, Mon 26-Oct-15 07:26 PM
Reply Please sticky, Kstatida, 03-Oct-16 03:31 AM, #12
Reply Look in the eyes - easy and informational, Kstatida, 29-Oct-15 10:40 AM, #3
Reply RE: Look in the eyes - easy and informational, Isildur, 29-Oct-15 03:38 PM, #4
     Reply Oh there's always a measure of abstraction, Kstatida, 30-Oct-15 06:38 AM, #5
          Reply RE: Oh there's always a measure of abstraction, Isildur, 30-Oct-15 10:06 AM, #6
          Reply Well both of these are in help description iirc, Kstatida, 30-Oct-15 11:37 AM, #7
               Reply RE: Well both of these are in help description iirc, Jormyr, 31-Oct-15 03:30 AM, #8
                    Reply I'd like an option to have different descriptions, incognito, 31-Oct-15 03:51 AM, #9
                         Reply Buahahaha, Doof, 01-Nov-15 12:41 PM, #10
          Reply I generally use "Your gaze falls upon", Theerkla, 02-Nov-15 06:23 AM, #11
Reply Could you add, lurker, 27-Oct-15 06:58 PM, #2
Reply What's your favorite description you've ever read?, Homard, 26-Oct-15 07:33 PM, #1
     Reply Jesus Mary and Joseph, crsweeney, 03-Oct-16 02:52 PM, #13
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #4478 Previous topic | Next topic