Subject: "We've all been there..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #3786
Show all folders

2 year noob (Anonymous)Mon 16-Apr-12 08:59 PM
Charter member
#3801, "We've all been there..."

I've been playing for a good year and a half and I can definitely relate. I got my ass handed to me for my first few characters. And be aware, it can be extra tough from levels 42 and hero, because you'll be up against some real badass mofos that not only have great gear but have also mastered most of their important skills and refined their strategies.

That being said, you too can become one of the badasses. It takes serious determination and the rewards/experiences in the game for those that can take it to that level are what make it so unique...and addicting. I definitely haven't gotten there yet either, but occasionally things will go right and it will come together, and you'll win a fight or show other people how to do something new and then you are hooked.

Being a thief is not a terrible choice. You just won't win a lot of fights one-on-one, unless maybe as a thug. People won't really see you as a valuable group-mate. You're kind of a utility class, but that can be great for learning the game. Plus you'll be able to steal a lot great gear later in life. In my opinion, being something that lets you see hidden is the best way to start the game, then branch out based on your personal interest. Things like studying lockpicking path can help you learn and gain friends (and gold) as well.

The food thing- food is really easy to come by. As others have said, especially if you are okay using gold. Food is cheap and copper is easy to come by. Just ask around the thieves guild.

In general, I'd say as long as you don't take your first few characters too seriously, you'll do fine if you just keep going. Once you get into the mid-30s, join a cabal. get your core skills perfects, and then just go for it. Play until you con-die and you'll learn a ton about how to fight and survive and explore. Starting over can be okay too at times.

Ranking goes in waves-- it just takes a good group a few hours and you're shooting up there, so don't worry when times are slow. When you can't find a group, spend your time exploring or practicing. If you are a thief--ask the thief guild leaders for help. Think about how it fits into your role and theirs, and approach it that way. You're only limited by your imagination.

When you screw up and die, just think every time about why it happened and what you can do differently. If you don't know, use helpfiles, ask, or even try out the other classes that are giving you problems. Sometimes, though, it's just a fight you won't ever win and a huge part of the game is knowing when to run. Always have an exit strategy, and carry teleport/return potions. Also--a huge part of the game is learning to time your commands/lag properly, and it's taken me nearly two years to really feel like I'm just starting to get the hang of that. Playing a hero until you con-die will get you the feel for these things over time.

You're gonna get PKed a lot. Period. People don't know your a newbie, and even if they do they may still kill you regularly, depending on their role. Being in a cabal will also bring inherent enemies.

There's a few jerks around, but most people are pretty solid if you give them a chance. Have fun and don't give up- you will have some glorious victories and some terrible defeats.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Topicconstructive feedback [View all] , new player (Anonymous), Sun 15-Apr-12 02:25 PM
Reply OMG THIS WAS NOT MY POST, Oldril, 01-May-12 06:25 PM, #16
Reply RE: constructive feedback, kalva, 26-Apr-12 11:36 AM, #14
Reply Welcome back., Tsunami, 26-Apr-12 12:01 PM, #15
Reply About level 1 character you made just to walk around in..., Shapa, 22-Apr-12 06:15 AM, #13
Reply RE: constructive feedback, Amaranthe, 18-Apr-12 08:28 AM, #10
Reply RE: constructive feedback, DurNominator, 19-Apr-12 07:13 AM, #12
Reply We've all been there..., 2 year noob (Anonymous), 16-Apr-12 08:59 PM #9
Reply Some thoughts on these., DurNominator, 16-Apr-12 04:02 AM, #8
Reply Food, Nreykre, 15-Apr-12 04:13 PM, #3
Reply Appreciate the feedback...but..., Zulghinlour, 15-Apr-12 04:01 PM, #2
Reply A couple of things:, Homard, 15-Apr-12 02:59 PM, #1
     Reply RE: A couple of things:, new player (Anonymous), 15-Apr-12 05:09 PM, #4
          Reply RE: A couple of things:, Kalageadon, 15-Apr-12 07:17 PM, #5
               Reply RE: A couple of things:, new player (Anonymous), 15-Apr-12 08:32 PM, #6
                    Reply Set up some goals like..., Amberion, 16-Apr-12 02:38 AM, #7
                         Reply I absolutely agree with this., Batman (Anonymous), 18-Apr-12 11:33 AM, #11
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #3786 Previous topic | Next topic