Subject: "constructive feedback" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #3786
Show all folders

new player (Anonymous)Sun 15-Apr-12 02:25 PM
Charter member
#3786, "constructive feedback"

I want to start by saying that CF has a lot to offer. There's some amazing richness and depth in just about every aspect of the game. I was especially blown away by all the thief paths and skills. I got really excited just imagining what it'd be like to play one at the higher levels. The staff also seems very involved and I found the help files and forums let me get into the game enough that I could start learning my way around.

Though I enjoyed myself at times, I also found that the game is brutal on new players. Soloing is slow and dangerous, especially for someone in 'outfit' gear. And groups can be very hard to find. I think there are players out there who are willing to share what they know and who do so generously. I certainly met a few. But the norm was more vets who either ignored me or pked me, and with the gear and skills I had I don't blame them.

I get the impression that those at the top, especially those who've been playing for 10+ years, like the game just the way it is. I can understand that. And indeed, I often found that half the player base at any given time was level 51, with just a few stragglers at different levels beneath. I don't know that anything will ever change, but I noticed that when you first create a character you're asked specifically if you're new to mudding and CF. That's a great opportunity to provide some additional perks aimed at a gentler introduction. Maybe give an experience bonus to new players and those who group with them, something that would encourage vets to play with them instead of just rolling them over and over in pk. Another thing you could do is give new players immunity to pk unless they strike first. That would give further incentive for vets to group with them instead of killing them, but just enough temptation for new players to take a chance every now and then.

The biggest turn off for me was eating. The one interesting thing I can do alone when I can't find groups is exploring. But if I'm not killing I'm not earning. And if I'm not earning I'm not buying food. And if I'm not buying food I'm starving. So past a certain level exploring just stops feeling like an option. The most fun I had was on a level 1 character I made just to walk around in the game. I just walked around and looked at things and rp'd with the people around me and died over and over again. It was the only time death/hunger/other players didn't matter and I really enjoyed it. I can see how those things might be more exciting for someone who's had a lot of experience with the game, and how they can add nuances and depth, but from the perspective of a new player that can all be very overwhelming.

I know that some out there will say that the game just isn't for me. I don't believe that's true. I like pk, I like rp, and I like a challenge. But when everything is tuned around people who've been playing the game for several years, those with much less experience suffer dramatically. I think maybe the game has only one gear. I'd like to learn how to drive, just not at 75 miles per hour.

All in all, I'm sad to go. I was really excited to play the thief implementation especially, but under the current situation I don't expect to advance beyond 16. It's been very difficult to find groups and very slow to solo. In fact I'm at negative experience points right now and have been for some time.

I decided to leave some feedback here because I came across the marketing section in the forum and was surprised to learn that CF is interested in attracting new players. It seems to me that new players are constantly trickling in. I see them all the time in newbie chat. But I imagine most are also then trickling back out. I think the real challenge may be retention, and one solution may be a gentler introduction to the game. I hope my feedback helps and I hope you all will consider the possibility that maybe both vets and new players are right about the game. Maybe there's room enough for both perspectives.

Thanks and Best Wishes,
Ozz of the 16th Rank

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Topicconstructive feedback [View all] , new player (Anonymous), Sun 15-Apr-12 02:25 PM
Reply OMG THIS WAS NOT MY POST, Oldril, 01-May-12 06:25 PM, #16
Reply RE: constructive feedback, kalva, 26-Apr-12 11:36 AM, #14
Reply Welcome back., Tsunami, 26-Apr-12 12:01 PM, #15
Reply About level 1 character you made just to walk around in..., Shapa, 22-Apr-12 06:15 AM, #13
Reply RE: constructive feedback, Amaranthe, 18-Apr-12 08:28 AM, #10
Reply RE: constructive feedback, DurNominator, 19-Apr-12 07:13 AM, #12
Reply We've all been there..., 2 year noob (Anonymous), 16-Apr-12 08:59 PM, #9
Reply Some thoughts on these., DurNominator, 16-Apr-12 04:02 AM, #8
Reply Food, Nreykre, 15-Apr-12 04:13 PM, #3
Reply Appreciate the feedback...but..., Zulghinlour, 15-Apr-12 04:01 PM, #2
Reply A couple of things:, Homard, 15-Apr-12 02:59 PM, #1
     Reply RE: A couple of things:, new player (Anonymous), 15-Apr-12 05:09 PM, #4
          Reply RE: A couple of things:, Kalageadon, 15-Apr-12 07:17 PM, #5
               Reply RE: A couple of things:, new player (Anonymous), 15-Apr-12 08:32 PM, #6
                    Reply Set up some goals like..., Amberion, 16-Apr-12 02:38 AM, #7
                         Reply I absolutely agree with this., Batman (Anonymous), 18-Apr-12 11:33 AM, #11
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #3786 Previous topic | Next topic