Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #2914
Show all folders

incognitoSat 06-Nov-10 10:47 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2915, "RE: Human Hunter Mariner"
Edited on Sat 06-Nov-10 10:47 AM

Not played a hunter, but I have played a mariner.

If you are new to the game, a mariner probably isn't the best first choice, because there are a lot of times that you can't rank in or on water (or at least, your potential groupmates can't).

As a first ranger, I would consider taking forester, which is the default, although it doesn't matter that much. Why? Because rangers are still decent in the wilds even if outside of their terrian. Mariners included, and here's why:

The harpoon skill can be used to start a fight, even on land. It causes bleeding and also drops strength (and I think dex, but I forget). You can harpoon someone multiple times in order to increase the strength loss, which means ultimately almost anyone will lose their weapon, and bleeding is tactically useful as it hinders regeneration of mana as well as health.

Nets can work on land, but are best in the water. They stop some of the blows aimed at you, and if I recall also lag people as they walk into them. Plus they have a lasting effect which I think makes moving harder.

Your problem, as I see it, would be a bit of a lack of offensive power, although hunters do have nice serpent strikes and timed attack, for when you are not using a bow.

Hunter would also allow you to defend yourself decently when out of the wilds.

On reflection, it's possibly not a bad one to try out, but I don't think you'll be hugely lethal with this combo.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicHuman Hunter Mariner [View all] , Will_o_the_wisp, Sat 06-Nov-10 09:35 AM
Reply Are there any examples of mariners and or hunters i can..., Will_o_the_wisp, 06-Nov-10 02:14 PM, #3
Reply RE: Human Hunter Mariner, incognito, 06-Nov-10 10:47 AM #1
     Reply Harpoon., Will_o_the_wisp, 06-Nov-10 01:59 PM, #2
          Reply Doesn't work like that, incognito, 07-Nov-10 07:56 PM, #4
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #2914 Previous topic | Next topic