Go back to previous topic
Forum Name New Player Q&A
Topic subjectHuman Hunter Mariner
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2914
2914, Human Hunter Mariner
Posted by Will_o_the_wisp on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Hello,

This is new to me

I want to make a human mariner hunter with strength as his prime score

Will this cause problems with his bow skills?

Will this maybe help bow skills?

Will this maybr hurt and help bow skills?

Does anyone have mariner and or hunter tips?
2917, Are there any examples of mariners and or hunters i can look up?
Battlefield or Logs or posts?
2915, RE: Human Hunter Mariner
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Not played a hunter, but I have played a mariner.

If you are new to the game, a mariner probably isn't the best first choice, because there are a lot of times that you can't rank in or on water (or at least, your potential groupmates can't).

As a first ranger, I would consider taking forester, which is the default, although it doesn't matter that much. Why? Because rangers are still decent in the wilds even if outside of their terrian. Mariners included, and here's why:

The harpoon skill can be used to start a fight, even on land. It causes bleeding and also drops strength (and I think dex, but I forget). You can harpoon someone multiple times in order to increase the strength loss, which means ultimately almost anyone will lose their weapon, and bleeding is tactically useful as it hinders regeneration of mana as well as health.

Nets can work on land, but are best in the water. They stop some of the blows aimed at you, and if I recall also lag people as they walk into them. Plus they have a lasting effect which I think makes moving harder.

Your problem, as I see it, would be a bit of a lack of offensive power, although hunters do have nice serpent strikes and timed attack, for when you are not using a bow.

Hunter would also allow you to defend yourself decently when out of the wilds.

On reflection, it's possibly not a bad one to try out, but I don't think you'll be hugely lethal with this combo.
2916, Harpoon.
Is this like like a spell that I can cast over and over? How long is the bleeding?
2918, Doesn't work like that
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Bleeding isn't super long from what I recall. Maybe 5 or 6 hours at a guess? But the str (and dex if it affects dex) reduction stacks at what I think was -5 per time.

Harpoon works in that you harpoon someone with a spear from your inventory (including a ranger spear, if you want) and it ends up on the ground. So you might want several of them.