Subject: "RE: There is a MacOSX precompiled binary" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1606
Show all folders

IsildurTue 23-Jan-07 10:34 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1620, "RE: There is a MacOSX precompiled binary"

>Secondly, Windows costs considerably more when you don't buy it
>pre-installed... From 99$ for XP Home (which is crap) to 399$
>for Vista Ultimate (which admittedly isn't even out yet)

Exactly. Nobody needs Vista Ultimate. If I were a Mac owner who was buying a copy of Windows just so that I could run a few choice Windows apps, I'm getting the $99 XP Home. There are number of other cheap ways to get it, for instance if she's a student and her University has a deal with Microsoft, or if she works somewhere and has access to a volume licensed copy (note: not legal).

>I'm not sure how running another OS as a virtual machine is easier
>than compiling a program from scratch in any case (and in this
>one it is unnecessary).

Are you serious? Parallels is slick. You install it, and from what I gather it's fairly intuitive to load Windows up and launch a virtual copy. Building a unix app from scratch, even with autoconf, when you're not a programmer and have maybe never dealt with a unix command line? Way harder. Especially if you have to download and build supporting libraries, like I needed to when I built tintin++ for OpenBSD.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicMac Mud Clients [View all] , thornheart, Wed 17-Jan-07 02:34 PM
Reply RE: Mac Mud Clients, Not An Imm, 17-Jan-07 04:24 PM, #1
     Reply TinTin++, Tac, 17-Jan-07 04:52 PM, #2
          Reply RE: TinTin++, thornheart, 18-Jan-07 02:12 AM, #3
               Reply RE: TinTin++, Isildur, 21-Jan-07 10:48 AM, #4
                    Reply Overkill... yea, Tac, 21-Jan-07 11:45 AM, #5
                         Reply RE: Overkill... yea, Isildur, 21-Jan-07 07:33 PM, #6
                              Reply There is a MacOSX precompiled binary, Tac, 23-Jan-07 10:03 AM, #7
                                   Reply RE: There is a MacOSX precompiled binary, Isildur, 23-Jan-07 10:34 AM #8
                                        Reply So...., Tac, 23-Jan-07 11:55 AM, #9
                                             Reply RE: So...., Isildur, 23-Jan-07 04:19 PM, #10
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1606 Previous topic | Next topic