Subject: "Mac Mud Clients" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1606
Show all folders

thornheartWed 17-Jan-07 02:34 PM
Member since 11th May 2003
49 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1606, "Mac Mud Clients"

I recently purchased a MacBook with the Intel based processor, and I'm a big time Mac newbie. I tried to find Rapscallion, but apparently it's not being supported anymore and doesn't work on my system.

Anyone know of a good mud client for the Mac?

Thanks!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Mac Mud Clients, Not An Imm, 17-Jan-07 04:24 PM, #1
     Reply TinTin++, Tac, 17-Jan-07 04:52 PM, #2
          Reply RE: TinTin++, thornheart, 18-Jan-07 02:12 AM, #3
               Reply RE: TinTin++, Isildur, 21-Jan-07 10:48 AM, #4
                    Reply Overkill... yea, Tac, 21-Jan-07 11:45 AM, #5
                         Reply RE: Overkill... yea, Isildur, 21-Jan-07 07:33 PM, #6
                              Reply There is a MacOSX precompiled binary, Tac, 23-Jan-07 10:03 AM, #7
                                   Reply RE: There is a MacOSX precompiled binary, Isildur, 23-Jan-07 10:34 AM, #8
                                        Reply So...., Tac, 23-Jan-07 11:55 AM, #9
                                             Reply RE: So...., Isildur, 23-Jan-07 04:19 PM, #10

Not An ImmWed 17-Jan-07 04:24 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
141 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1607, "RE: Mac Mud Clients"
In response to Reply #0

I've been using the registered version of Savitar for about 4 years now and it does the job pretty well. You can download a trial version over at http://heynow.com/savitar/

The program is constantly being updated, but version 1.2.4 seems to run the best for me if you can get a hold of it.

TacWed 17-Jan-07 04:52 PM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1608, "TinTin++"
In response to Reply #1

It should work on OSX (being that it's UNIX based) and it's the bombastic shiznit. GUI's are for noobs.

thornheartThu 18-Jan-07 02:12 AM
Member since 11th May 2003
49 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1609, "RE: TinTin++"
In response to Reply #2

Thanks for the information guys. BTW I'm a noob.

IsildurSun 21-Jan-07 10:48 AM
5969 posts
#1611, "RE: TinTin++"
In response to Reply #3

I think you posted on Dio's too, but I'm not sure. Will go ahead and answer here as well.

The only Mac client I've heard people talk about is Rapscallion. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an OSX native version, and the last release was literally 10 years ago. tintin++ is unix-based so you could theoretically build a version of it for OSX, but if you're not a techy type then that's probably beyond you.

Putting "OSX mud clients" into google returned a number of sites. Some candidates that claim OSX support:

GGMUd
http://ggmud.sourceforge.net/

tintin++
http://tintin.sourceforge.net/

JamochaMUD (java based)
http://www.jamochamud.org/

MUDWalker
http://mudwalker.cubik.org/

MUDMagic
http://www.mudmagic.com/mud-client/macintosh_download

Savitar
http://www.heynow.com/Savitar/index.html

TinyFugue
http://tinyfugue.sourceforge.net/

Another idea would be to get Parallels Desktop for your Mac, so you can run a virtual Windows OS from inside OSX, then use your favorite Windows client. It's sort of overkill to run an entire virtual OS just to use a MUD client, but c'est la vie.

TacSun 21-Jan-07 11:45 AM
2050 posts
#1613, "Overkill... yea"
In response to Reply #4

Especially when you could do the same thing except use an OS that doesn't cost 400 dollars. IE linux, or BSD, or any of those that have been ported to Mac hardware.

IsildurSun 21-Jan-07 07:33 PM
5969 posts
#1615, "RE: Overkill... yea"
In response to Reply #5

Windows doesn't cost $400. And I'm assuming she doesn't want to boot into something other than OSX. If I could relax that assumption, then I'd reocommend she use Boot Camp to boot into Windows whenever she'd going to MUD.

TacTue 23-Jan-07 10:03 AM
2050 posts
#1619, "There is a MacOSX precompiled binary"
In response to Reply #6
Edited on Tue 23-Jan-07 10:03 AM

meaning you don't have to do anything with it other than stick it in your applications folder (after unzipping) or whatever it is that you do to install apps on OSX. Secondly, Windows costs considerably more when you don't buy it pre-installed... From 99$ for XP Home (which is crap) to 399$ for Vista Ultimate (which admittedly isn't even out yet) I'm not sure how running another OS as a virtual machine is easier than compiling a program from scratch in any case (and in this one it is unnecessary).

Editted to add address of OSX binary download.

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/tintin/tintin-1.96.5-osx.tar.gz?download

IsildurTue 23-Jan-07 10:34 AM
5969 posts
#1620, "RE: There is a MacOSX precompiled binary"
In response to Reply #7

>Secondly, Windows costs considerably more when you don't buy it
>pre-installed... From 99$ for XP Home (which is crap) to 399$
>for Vista Ultimate (which admittedly isn't even out yet)

Exactly. Nobody needs Vista Ultimate. If I were a Mac owner who was buying a copy of Windows just so that I could run a few choice Windows apps, I'm getting the $99 XP Home. There are number of other cheap ways to get it, for instance if she's a student and her University has a deal with Microsoft, or if she works somewhere and has access to a volume licensed copy (note: not legal).

>I'm not sure how running another OS as a virtual machine is easier
>than compiling a program from scratch in any case (and in this
>one it is unnecessary).

Are you serious? Parallels is slick. You install it, and from what I gather it's fairly intuitive to load Windows up and launch a virtual copy. Building a unix app from scratch, even with autoconf, when you're not a programmer and have maybe never dealt with a unix command line? Way harder. Especially if you have to download and build supporting libraries, like I needed to when I built tintin++ for OpenBSD.

TacTue 23-Jan-07 11:55 AM
2050 posts
#1621, "So...."
In response to Reply #8

Doing something you've never done is easier than doing something you have done. I've never used Parallels, so who knows how much technical know-how is required to set it up. But one thing is for certain. 100$ is a lot to pay for (essentially) a mud client.

IsildurTue 23-Jan-07 04:19 PM
5969 posts
#1622, "RE: So...."
In response to Reply #9

You weren't the person asking about Mac clients. "Not An Imm" was. That's who I was giving advice to. If a random Mac user asked me for advice, I probably wouldn't tell them, "Well, you're going to want to build tintin++ by hand. Do you know how to edit make files? Do you know how to download gnu readline and build static libs for OSX?" I'd tell them, "Get a mac client that has pre-compiled binaries, or else get parallels or boot camp and a copy of windows, set it up, then use whatever windows client you want."

Now, it turns out that tintin++ has pre-compiled binaries for OSX, so that would fall under the umbrella of my suggestion. If it didn't, though, I certainly wouldn't recommend that a non-technical Mac user try to build it by hand.

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1606 Previous topic | Next topic