Subject: "RE: I'm Scared of Exploring" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1106
Show all folders

CorrlaanThu 12-Jan-06 11:24 AM
Member since 26th Sep 2005
195 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1108, "RE: I'm Scared of Exploring"

First things first. You need to get over the fear of dying. When I first started playing CF back in the day I used to rank up an Anti-Paladin (because they were all cool and evil and stuff) to level 13..when you get teleport. And then teleport. Everywhere. If I con died him in an afternoon so be it. But you know what. I learned at least what a lot of different areas looked like. I didnt know how to get there, or navigate them, but I got to see a lot of Thera(and theres a LOT more of Thera to see nowadays let me tell you)

Understand that if your going to push the envelope, your going to get killed. Your going to get yourself killed. And your going to bang your head against the monitor when you die to the same thing for the fifth time. There is a giant amount of information to remember about this world so dont sweat the small stuff. Like dying..and gear.

Secondly, I find it is the best to try and broaden your horizons with groups of people who know what they are doing. And are willing to not just blow through an area like a madman so you can get a feel for where you are travelling, and all the nifty little things involved. Noone out there is going to say, "Hey, lets go find some limited a/b/s wands. I'll show you how!" But if you RP enough. I reccommend the Inn as a starting point. You'll eventually come across a nice soul who is willing to be nice and take you somewhere exotic and interesting. Side note...if you are a goodie people are much more forgiving when it comes to wanting to look around and explore an area slowly. Evils will tend to (and I know this from personal experience) take advantage of the fact that you are obviously unfamiliar with the area and perhaps get you lost on purpose and kill you when they are done with you.

If you want to do a lot of Solo exploring, then use the roads religiously...so you know how to get there..and get home if you dont have a potion. Follow the signposts..and when you step into the unknown area start looking around. Deathtraps are USUALLY well marked if your looking. And getting stuck is all part of learning. I STILL get stuck in the Jade mountains, Sewers, etc. Its not something you grow out of. Its still something you slip up after playing this game for 10 years or more.

So...carry lots of food, water, and a potion or two. Watch your back. And remember its only a game. If your character dies permanently. Guess what! You can roll up another and keep on trucking.

Corrlaan

Corrlaan followers are NICE. With a capital NICE!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicI'm Scared of Exploring [View all] , Aodh, Thu 12-Jan-06 10:08 AM
Reply Never be afraid to ask for IC help..., Kolun, 21-Jan-06 01:54 PM, #14
Reply One thing we keep meaning to do:, Valguarnera, 12-Jan-06 01:02 PM, #7
Reply Along these lines., Razoul, 12-Jan-06 01:44 PM, #8
Reply That would be amazingly, extremely cool. nt, Aodh, 12-Jan-06 03:32 PM, #9
Reply RE: I'm Scared of Exploring, Eskelian, 12-Jan-06 12:09 PM, #5
Reply Exploring Tips, Kastellyn, 12-Jan-06 12:08 PM, #4
Reply This keeps comming up, Sandello, 12-Jan-06 09:49 PM, #10
Reply RE: This keeps comming up, nepenthe, 12-Jan-06 10:03 PM, #11
     Reply RE: This keeps comming up, Sandello, 18-Jan-06 01:33 PM, #12
Reply Amen to that..., Kolun, 21-Jan-06 01:41 PM, #13
Reply RE: I'm Scared of Exploring, Corrlaan, 12-Jan-06 11:24 AM #2
Reply APs are good for this because they get teleport at rank..., Eskelian, 12-Jan-06 12:03 PM, #3
Reply Jade Mountains is easy to navigate in, DurNominator, 12-Jan-06 12:50 PM, #6
Reply To the best of my knowlege...., Haggler, 12-Jan-06 11:06 AM, #1
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1106 Previous topic | Next topic