Subject: "I've done something like this" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #3292
Show all folders

permanewbieWed 17-Dec-03 08:51 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
349 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3294, "I've done something like this"
Edited on Wed 17-Dec-03 09:04 PM

For the past few years, I've been putzing around with Rom 2.4b code to somewhat build a certain world that I have been writing (even had a short story published)....because I like to be able to "go into" that world.

Now, I don't know zilch about cf code, but it seemed easy for me to re-work the whole immunity/resist/vuln/normal flags...

All I did was take every place in the code that SET an immunity/resist/vuln flag...and instead call a short function that I made that uses some simple if statements to check what is on the character now...and which direction the code is wanting to move the resistance....

Then that function returns the correct flag to place (vuln/resist/immunity/double-resist/double-vuln) to the code that called the function, THEN the flag is set.

And for the whote dual-wield thing...(please believe I'm not trying to sound smart or you dumb, just throwing this idea out there)...

A few years ago, I coded that from scratch for my world...and the way I handled it doesn't seem to have the same problems that dual wielding in cf does....

I basically made "dual" a seperate command....and one that anyone can use.

Even mages can hold a weapon in each hand (although that does not mean they can use it effectively).

To effect that I put checks in one_hit and multi_hit and damage to see what class you are, and if you are high enough level to be able to use the offhand wield effectively. Also in the do_dual code I had it check weapon weights and all (and other specifics that don't really apply here) If you are wielding a light weapon and try to wield a heavier...it checks to see if you can wield them in the right order, and if so it puts the weapons in the right order for you.

So, people put things in their offhand with the comman "dual whatever" (also works with "offhand whatever")

In my disarm code, where it strips the weapon I have it also check victim and put the offhand into the wield slot.

As for becoming too weak to wield one of the weapons, I also have similar checks that automatically put the light weapon into the main hand.

I just haven't seen much of the problems with dual-wield that it seems is alluded to every other month or so on these forums.

"Death awaits ya all, wit nasteh big pointeh teeth!"

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Topictwo ideas re: resistances & vulns [View all] , Isildur, Wed 17-Dec-03 06:57 PM
Reply RE: two ideas re: resistances & vulns, Zulghinlour, 17-Dec-03 08:36 PM, #1
     Reply I've done something like this, permanewbie, 17-Dec-03 09:04 PM #2
          Reply RE: I've done something like this, Zulghinlour, 17-Dec-03 11:04 PM, #3
               Reply Ha! exactly!, permanewbie, 18-Dec-03 12:26 AM, #4
               Reply Oh...., permanewbie, 18-Dec-03 12:36 AM, #5
               Reply RE: Oh...., Zulghinlour, 18-Dec-03 01:23 AM, #6
                    Reply Yup!, nepenthe, 18-Dec-03 11:44 PM, #7
               Reply RE: I've done something like this too, Marcus_, 21-Dec-03 01:47 PM, #8
                    Reply I'm not so sure that the way it is now is wrong, Theerkla, 21-Dec-03 02:21 PM, #9
                    Reply I think Zulgh knows how to do it., Valguarnera, 22-Dec-03 01:54 PM, #10
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #3292 Previous topic | Next topic