Subject: "Templars defense." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #7352
Show all folders

EskelianWed 16-Feb-05 10:45 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2023 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7352, "Templars defense."

I tried to ask a bit about this a while back but never got an answer, was curious if maybe you guys would be willing to shed some light on this.

Templars defense. There's several maneuvers, many seem redundant, are they literally redundant for purposes of atmosphere (IE, to make for RP-esque fighting) or are there effects that aren't shown in the help files or through the echoes?

I've had four 2h dedicant paladins, I still can't figure out why I'd bother with most of these. The obvious tells me that there are hidden things going on, is there any hope to shed some more in depth light on this skill in the helpfiles so that we players have a shot of figuring what these things do? I don't want to get all number crunchy or ask my friends to test stuff out with me or run 'experiments' to determine formula's or whatever.

I just want a general idea of what X does and why I'd use it, any chance of that happening? I think if you take a look around its pretty apparent that most players really have no idea about this skill, even people who've had multiple paladins with hundreds of hours of play.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply I'll tell you what..., Stunna, 28-Feb-05 08:36 AM, #18
Reply RE: Templars defense., nepenthe, 16-Feb-05 08:44 AM, #8
Reply You're my hero. Sorry for the silly flamewar below. nt, Eskelian, 17-Feb-05 04:31 PM, #16
Reply FYI:, nepenthe, 28-Feb-05 12:59 PM, #19
Reply Gracias. nt, Eskelian, 01-Mar-05 09:36 AM, #20
Reply Cool. Would it be in the realm of possibility..., Calion, 02-Mar-05 04:30 AM, #21
     Reply Nope!, nepenthe, 02-Mar-05 07:58 AM, #22
Reply RE: Templars defense., nepenthe, 12-Mar-05 01:02 AM, #23
Reply Yes they do things., Ahelun, 15-Feb-05 05:19 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Yes they do things., Eskelian, 15-Feb-05 06:12 PM, #2
     Reply Don't get me wrong, I firmly agree..., Ahelun, 15-Feb-05 10:59 PM, #5
     Reply Hiltsmash, Vinson Wentzell, 15-Feb-05 06:30 PM, #3
          Reply Some things to consider////, Ahelun, 15-Feb-05 10:57 PM, #4
               Reply I'll go with this, Vinson Wentzell, 15-Feb-05 11:06 PM, #6
                    Reply RE: I'll go with this, Ahelun, 15-Feb-05 11:52 PM, #7
                    Reply RE: I'll go with this, Aiekooso, 16-Feb-05 09:06 PM, #9
                         Reply Post deleted. Note to Ahelun:, Valguarnera, 16-Feb-05 10:45 PM, #10
                              Reply But it's perfectly alright to encourage people to go to..., Ahelun, 16-Feb-05 10:50 PM, #11
                                   Reply He could have easily have said "Look at the helpfile.", Wilhath, 17-Feb-05 08:06 AM, #12
                                   Reply Thats my point exactly., Ahelun, 17-Feb-05 03:59 PM, #15
                                        Reply I agree with Ahelun, Straklaw, 18-Feb-05 01:50 AM, #17
                                   Reply Uh...., Valguarnera, 17-Feb-05 10:46 AM, #13
                                        Reply Dear Mr. Lichy., Larcat, 17-Feb-05 11:22 AM, #14

StunnaMon 28-Feb-05 08:36 AM
1048 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#7541, "I'll tell you what..."
In response to Reply #0

Jaegrudai used stuff that you never saw anyone else using. There are things in TD that I still don't see repeated, so I'd say its definatly worth taking some time to expiriment with a buddy.

TD does replace warrior specs, but its a hell of a lot easier to seal kills with than co wrath!

nepentheWed 16-Feb-05 08:44 AM
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7386, "RE: Templars defense."
In response to Reply #0

It's been a while since my last twohander, so take this with a grain of salt.

I think the similar skills vary slightly. One might succeed more often while the other does more damage.

The new helpfiles on TD are a lot better than what I had to deal with back in the day. I'll still try to take a look at the skill and the helpfile again soon.

EskelianThu 17-Feb-05 04:31 PM
2023 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7421, "You're my hero. Sorry for the silly flamewar below. nt"
In response to Reply #8

nt

nepentheMon 28-Feb-05 12:59 PM
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7544, "FYI:"
In response to Reply #8

This is still on my list, I'm just trying to hit some bugs and broken things before getting to projects like this.

EskelianTue 01-Mar-05 09:36 AM
2023 posts
#7559, "Gracias. nt"
In response to Reply #19

nt

CalionWed 02-Mar-05 04:30 AM
367 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7588, "Cool. Would it be in the realm of possibility..."
In response to Reply #19

...to allow 2-handers to dedicate either to "poles" (polearm/staff) or to mace/sword? (Might even specialize some of the templar's moves to only work with the correct dedication)

nepentheWed 02-Mar-05 07:58 AM
3430 posts
#7589, "Nope!"
In response to Reply #21

As they say in the consulting world, that's beyond the scope of this project.

nepentheSat 12-Mar-05 01:02 AM
3430 posts
#7776, "RE: Templars defense."
In response to Reply #8

Updated these helpfiles slightly.

AhelunTue 15-Feb-05 05:19 PM
Member since 17th Dec 2004
56 posts
#7355, "Yes they do things."
In response to Reply #0

Each move does have it's uses. Until the imms decide to make the help files on them more specific however (something I think would be a GREAT idea *hint hint*) I don't think it's exactly kosher to start filling you in on what each one does.

One thing I will tell you though, the moves are NOT stackable. IE if you do one move that lowers str or dex, doing another will not also maledict. You may still get bleeding or other effects, but not extra loss of stats.

EskelianTue 15-Feb-05 06:12 PM
2023 posts
#7359, "RE: Yes they do things."
In response to Reply #1

I know that much, reason I asked was because most of what I've heard from people conflicts each other. Most of it seemed at best to be speculation...and I don't see anything inherently wrong with knowing why I'd want to use X templar's move as a paladin.

AhelunTue 15-Feb-05 10:59 PM
56 posts
#7375, "Don't get me wrong, I firmly agree..."
In response to Reply #2

I'd like the help files to be a little less vague. Some of the moves mystify ME and this is my third two hander. I also think some of them were tweaked, because they don't seem to do the same things they did a few years back.

Vinson WentzellTue 15-Feb-05 06:30 PM
Member since 15th Feb 2005
8 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7361, "Hiltsmash"
In response to Reply #1

Hiltsmash works too often IMHO. Every time Ahelun lands the hiltsmash it blinds, which seems counter to what the helpfile suggests ("...has the chance..." I've only notice him "miss" it once. Sure, it doesn't last overlong, but it seems to be WAY more effective than dirt kick and dirt kick is pretty effective. Could you (the imms) perhaps look into adding additional variables? For instance, you wear a cup to keep your jollies from being smashed to mush, how about making it such that a mask decreases the effectiveness of hiltsmash? Not render it ineffective, but reduce the chance at blinding the victim.

AhelunTue 15-Feb-05 10:57 PM
56 posts
#7374, "Some things to consider////"
In response to Reply #3

>Hiltsmash works too often IMHO. Every time Ahelun lands the
>hiltsmash it blinds, which seems counter to what the helpfile
>suggests ("...has the chance..." I've only notice him "miss"
>it once.

I've missed a hell of a lot more often than that even just fighting you. I've had the skill, which is perfected, miss 4-5 times routinely before it even hits once. TD moves are FAr from guaranteed. Also try taking your headwear into consideration.

>Sure, it doesn't last overlong, but it seems to be
>WAY more effective than dirt kick and dirt kick is pretty
>effective. Could you (the imms) perhaps look into adding
>additional variables? For instance, you wear a cup to keep
>your jollies from being smashed to mush, how about making it
>such that a mask decreases the effectiveness of hiltsmash? Not
>render it ineffective, but reduce the chance at blinding the
>victim.

What you're basically saying here is "Sure, it's only got a one tick duration, but I want to nerf it because it works too well against me". There are very set conditions under which templars defense moves can even be used, and they still fail an awful lot of the time. What you want to do is make it even less effective, because you can't think of a way to defend against it. Thats lame.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but you're essentially bitching about a skill that can only be used on certain foes, under certain conditions, and already fails better than a third of the time, and has a one tick duration. So....whats the gripe? Really? Yeah, it sucks to have me use it on you, but thats what combat is all about.

Vinson WentzellTue 15-Feb-05 11:04 PM
Member since 15th Feb 2005
8 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7376, "I'll go with this"
In response to Reply #4
Edited on Tue 15-Feb-05 11:06 PM

>I've missed a hell of a lot more often than that even just
>fighting you. I've had the skill, which is perfected, miss 4-5
>times routinely before it even hits once. TD moves are FAr
>from guaranteed. Also try taking your headwear into
>consideration

You essentially agree with my argument here then. If headwear and facewear are a factor I'm satisfied. If they're not they should be, which was the point of my post.

AhelunTue 15-Feb-05 11:52 PM
56 posts
#7378, "RE: I'll go with this"
In response to Reply #6

>You essentially agree with my argument here then. If headwear
>and facewear are a factor I'm satisfied. If they're not they
>should be, which was the point of my post.

Considering skills like cranial taking headwear into consideration, I would be very surprised to find that it wasn't also used in situations like a hiltsmash. Frankly however, considering the failure rate is already pretty excessive I don't think anything is really in need of a tweak.

AiekoosoWed 16-Feb-05 10:45 PM
Member since 18th Dec 2003
305 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7398, "RE: I'll go with this"
In response to Reply #6

Just remove your damn weapon.

ValguarneraWed 16-Feb-05 10:45 PM
6904 posts
#7400, "Post deleted. Note to Ahelun:"
In response to Reply #9

You're roughly one tirade like that away from a ban. I'm really tired of dealing with this crap.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

AhelunWed 16-Feb-05 10:50 PM
56 posts
#7402, "But it's perfectly alright to encourage people to go to..."
In response to Reply #10

This post is exactly the kind of thing you yourself have said you didn't want people posting about. You bitch and moan about how the "other" forum has become a place for people looking to have knowledge handed to them that they didn't earn. That you didn't want them coming to the forums looking for answers to things they ought to be finding out for themselves IC. Then you leave spoonfeeding "here's an answer that was right in your face all along, but you didn't think of yourself so let me gift wrap it for you" posts alone?

WilhathThu 17-Feb-05 08:06 AM
Member since 19th May 2003
528 posts
#7408, "He could have easily have said "Look at the helpfile.""
In response to Reply #11

It's not like he shared some ubersecret knowledge that is only possible to find out through hours of testing and deductive reasoning. IT'S IN THE HELPFILE!

AhelunThu 17-Feb-05 03:59 PM
56 posts
#7420, "Thats my point exactly."
In response to Reply #12

The guy obviously hadn't even bothered to read the help files for it. The tactic never occured to him in ANY of our fights. Thats not something that should be rewarded with spoon feeding.

StraklawFri 18-Feb-05 01:50 AM
Member since 10th Mar 2003
1014 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#7425, "I agree with Ahelun"
In response to Reply #15

If you're that lazy not to read helpfiles? *THAT'S* spoonfeeding. Getting hints to ubersecret stuff? That I think's just a decent push, cuz how else you supposed to figure it out? Levels the playing field.

ValguarneraThu 17-Feb-05 10:45 AM
6904 posts
#7410, "Uh...."
In response to Reply #11
Edited on Thu 17-Feb-05 10:46 AM

1) From the helpfile, as noted by Wilhath:

"All of these attacks require that your opponent is wielding a weapon, and some of the strikes will not work against smaller weapons such as daggers, whips and flails."

This is hardly ubersecret knowledge. And the staff suggests reasonable tactical measures all the time to people. Even when it offends the Dögmä öf Äxë, as this particular tidbit may do.

2) Even if it was over the line, which it wasn't anywhere near being, angrily spewing out a pile of personal insults and name-calling will still get your post deleted. Since we've talked to you a lot before, we will eventually get sick of having to take time out from other stuff to clean up your messes, and bannination will ensue. Since I'm a sweetie, I like to toss a warning (or twenty) before I push that button.

3) Why you would post any of this kind of stuff using an active character name is completely beyond me.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

LarcatThu 17-Feb-05 11:22 AM
495 posts
#7411, "Dear Mr. Lichy."
In response to Reply #13

I THANK YOU KINDLY NOT TO IMPUGN THE HONOR OF THE Ăжə.

"New payment options w/ Iron Realms"

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #7352 Previous topic | Next topic