Subject: "Regarding the Mummy Quest" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #72475
Show all folders

UmironWed 20-Feb-19 03:32 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1495 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72475, "Regarding the Mummy Quest"

Some clarification and general commentary:

To my knowledge, there is no way whatsoever for an Immortal, no matter how high level, to manipulate a necromancer's "chance" directly. There are certain things any 53+ immortal can do (or not do) that will ultimately have an impact on the quest (e.g., role rating), but those are all fairly transparent in that you will know whether it happened to you or not. There is NO karma lever, kill switch or approval process. An IMP with pfile access can obviously do anything to anyone anytime, so if you have a fundamental lack of trust in us then we're at an impasse. I don't know how things used to work, but in my time on staff the only reason a pfile has ever been edited by hand has been to fix a bug. If we wanted a way for immortals to influence this quest (or anything else) we would simply code a feature to allow that.

The necromancer's "chance" is calculated once when the character says "yes" to the question. That isn't ideal and concern was raised the last time we had this discussion and Sacer indicated he'd be interested in revisiting that at some point, time permitting.

The "base chance" is the same number for everyone, period. From there, fixed modifiers (not percentages/dice) up/down are applied based on all kinds of things, many of which are clearly quite well understood at this point. Others, less so.

Difficulty aside, at an average of roughly 1.6 mummies per year, I don't feel like we need to lower the bar because they're too rare.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Regarding the Mummy Quest, ExExplorer, 21-Feb-19 12:32 AM, #2
Reply RE: Regarding the Mummy Quest, lasentia, 21-Feb-19 07:27 AM, #3
Reply RE: Regarding the Mummy Quest, incognito, 21-Feb-19 07:55 AM, #4
Reply RE: Regarding the Mummy Quest, Umiron, 21-Feb-19 09:26 AM, #5
     Reply My memory is hazy but, incognito, 21-Feb-19 12:22 PM, #6
          Reply Sebeok was an IMP, yes. (nt), Twist, 22-Feb-19 09:23 AM, #7
Reply Only 1.6 mummies a year?, robdarken_, 20-Feb-19 06:53 PM, #1

ExExplorerThu 21-Feb-19 12:32 AM
Member since 02nd Jun 2018
11 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72477, "RE: Regarding the Mummy Quest"
In response to Reply #0

>process. An IMP with pfile access can obviously do anything
>to anyone anytime, so if you have a fundamental lack of trust
>in us then we're at an impasse.

yes, we are at an impasse

Fri Jun 11 12:45:12 2004 by 'Sebeok' at level 47 (311 hrs):
Upped her success chance from 75 to 85 for the incubation process.

http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=31&topic_id=1310&mesg_id=1314&page=

lasentiaThu 21-Feb-19 07:27 AM
Member since 27th Apr 2010
987 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72478, "RE: Regarding the Mummy Quest"
In response to Reply #2

Except you ignored the comment right before it which says this: alternate Becoming-quest

Which maybe indicates this quest did not operate along the standardized lines of what the mummy quest is today. I don't know if this was around the time of the first mummies being introduced, when the quest was not fully automated like it is today. But it is known I think that lich chances can be altered by Imms, so presumably mummies could be initially as well. However, what once was the case no longer is.

Plus your reference is 15 years old.

I suggest you leave CF if digging up selective pbfs from 15 years ago that don't even prove the point you are trying to make to counter a general post from an Imm is how you like to spend your time.

incognitoThu 21-Feb-19 07:55 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72481, "RE: Regarding the Mummy Quest"
In response to Reply #3

The comment re alternate becoming quest simply refers to the mummy quest being an alternative route to a lich quest.

The quest back then is the same as it is now. I think I would have been the first though, had I not died.

UmironThu 21-Feb-19 09:26 AM
Member since 29th May 2017
1495 posts
#72483, "RE: Regarding the Mummy Quest"
In response to Reply #2

/me shrugs

I don't know, but presumably Seb would've had pfile access back then. I wasn't around. If that's how they rolled back back then, that's fine, and clearly he made it transparent by commenting in the PBF.

But again:

1) There's no way in-game to do it.

2) To the best of my knowledge, it's never been done offline in the time I've been on staff. If it has, I would expect a similar PBF comment.

Also, if someone on staff ever suggested doing this I would only be supportive of increasing a character's chance (because of how amazing they were), never decreasing it. That said, it's automated for a reason and I can't imagine ever being inclined to put our hands on the scale for that path specifically.

Now, as someone somewhere pointed out, the Lich quest is different. The immortal running the quest can influence that roll, and that's very much by design as it's a RP-heavy, one off immortal run quest. That said, to my knowledge on the incredibly rare occasion that power has been used it was only used in the necromancer's favor.

Anyway, I'm done with this topic.

incognitoThu 21-Feb-19 12:22 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72485, "My memory is hazy but"
In response to Reply #5

I think sebeok might have been an imp.

Also I may have benefited by being first

TwistFri 22-Feb-19 09:23 AM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72488, "Sebeok was an IMP, yes. (nt)"
In response to Reply #6

robdarken_Wed 20-Feb-19 06:53 PM
Member since 09th Sep 2009
373 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#72476, "Only 1.6 mummies a year?"
In response to Reply #0

End contraception now!

nobody deserves 3/5ths of a mum

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #72475 Previous topic | Next topic