Subject: "Empire idea." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #7163
Show all folders

OdrirgThu 03-Feb-05 08:49 AM
Member since 16th Oct 2004
431 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7163, "Empire idea."

Just an idea.

One thing I've always thought was iffy about Imperials, is that when they do not have large numbers, they seem to ignore the whole idea of keeping other cabal's items.

Often, unless they have overwhelming force, they just don't seem to try...

Sure, this lets them have less enemies until they ARE overwhelming force...then they rule the roost.

I'm not sure, however, that it makes sense for impirials to just ignore part of being an imperial (taking items), OR does it make sense for certain other cabals to just let empire have peace until they are bulging with numbers.

Now, while I do not think that empirials are "over" powered. I do think they have a whole bunchload of powers that directly aid pk, where other cabals do not.

My idea, accomplishes a few things.

1) Keeps up a direct pressure on imperials FROM MORTALS to keep other cabal items.

2) keeps other cabals pissed at the empire, instead of letting them slectively forget how expansionist the empire is.

3) Adds another dimension to imperial politicing, which, to my mind, is the reason I play imperials...to get devious and political.

So this is my idea.

Have the sect leader's powers available when the empire controlls another cabal's items.

Warmaster has his special powers when empire has the Head.

Dreadlord has his special powers when empire has the Sceptre.

High priest has his special powers when empire has the Orb.

Shadow lord has his special powers when empire has the Fetish.

These, in my mind, make rp sense, as the head is a force of warrior-ish power...and having it in the altar would add that kind of power to the Codex...same with the sceptre and dark powers....Having the Orb in the Altar would lessen the strength of the Light in Thera...giving the Dark sect extra power. And the shadow sect (thieves assassins) rely on civilization and the shadows of civilization, and when the Altar contains the fetish, the forces and darkness of Civilization grow...

*Maybe extend this to the highest powers that elites get? or would that go too far?*

This would give a conscious, rp, game mechanics reason for sect leaders to drive their sects into keeping the Empire's items.

It would also cause a bit of politicing between sects.... I as Warmaster want to be able to trip and disarm and kick automatically in combat.....but I want to be able to do it without the aid of the Divines...because to get their aid I'd have to aid them ....and I'd rather have Me with power, and the High priest without his.....

You could go so far, as to say the council has a total of six possible votes instead of 4. A sect leader gets 1.5 votes *IF* his sect currently controlls their enemy's item. Giving the sect leader a direct, measurable motivation to *NOT* get buddy buddy with all the other sects...because if he *DOESN'T* help them...he has more sway on the council. Perhaps also make it so that the council can not choose, or over-throw, an emperor without the full 6 votes. Meaning all 4 of the Items must be controlled.

Of course, an evil emperor's job might be defined as "Using my authority to cut down on the natural bickering of my underlings, to force them to work together, to increase my own personal power"

Maybe the emperor getting the sect leader powers is tied to this too....so that while the Emperor is about, he cuts through all the political maneuvering and can order his sects to get all the items...to increase his own power.....

But that also opens him up to the danger of the council turning on him...because if all of the council has their full power, there is the POSSIBILITY of an overthrow.....so maybe it would be best if he keeps his sects at one another's throats?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ZulghinlourSun 06-Feb-05 09:23 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
9792 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7217, "RE: Empire idea."
In response to Reply #0

>Have the sect leader's powers available when the empire
>controlls another cabal's items.
>
>Warmaster has his special powers when empire has the Head.
>
>Dreadlord has his special powers when empire has the Sceptre.
>
>High priest has his special powers when empire has the Orb.
>
>Shadow lord has his special powers when empire has the
>Fetish.

I had some sort of thought like this probably four or five years ago, and the counter to it was...if we do it like that for Empire, why not for everyone? Which both made sense, and made being in any cabal a lot less fun. It also does destroy the idea that the Empire can make temporary alliances, which I think is good for the Empire.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

VladamirWed 09-Feb-05 10:46 PM
1179 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#7269, "RE: Empire idea."
In response to Reply #2

>I had some sort of thought like this probably four or five
>years ago, and the counter to it was...if we do it like that
>for Empire, why not for everyone? Which both made sense, and
>made being in any cabal a lot less fun. It also does destroy
>the idea that the Empire can make temporary alliances,
>which I think is good for the Empire.

I can see why. Because in other cabals, people don't get "extra" powers for being a leader. Maran/Acolyte leaders don't get special powers just given to them, beyond normal Maran powers. None of the other cabals have anything comperable to sect leader powers. I think on top of the normal balance this would bring to sect leaders, it would also help to motivate Emperors to get off their ass and motivate the troops. If you look at Blitzenturts PBF, it was commented on that there were overwheling Imperial odds on, and yet none of the cabal items were taken. Maybe if they didn't get those sicksome powers just for having the orb, they may be less complacent.

Grurk MuoukThu 03-Feb-05 02:25 PM
Member since 15th Mar 2004
538 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7168, "Hhrm."
In response to Reply #0

Not sure if you've played an Imperial lately or not,
but 9 times out of 10, when the Imperials on have
the ability to gather another cabal's items, they do.

Your idea sounds interesting, but I don't think it's
needed.

G.

Drag0nSt0rmMon 07-Feb-05 10:12 AM
450 posts
#7222, "I'd actually say otherwise"
In response to Reply #1

They really only do seem to raid when their forces are overwhelming
Now, back during a certain older Emperiors time they would raid at slightly riskier odds, but recently I've seen them totally ignore a cabal because it had one warrior defender, and man thats pretty sissy if there are three or four of you.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #7163 Previous topic | Next topic