Subject: "Fortress Dogma/Promotion Clarification" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #68526
Show all folders

IgnolmeerThu 06-Jul-17 10:23 PM
Member since 16th Nov 2016
77 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#68526, "Fortress Dogma/Promotion Clarification"

Background taken right out of the Fortress lore:

Acolyte:
You are the shield of light. Protect those of the Light, and stand fast against the forces of the Darkness.

The Maran are your brothers, as you protect them, so they protect you.
There is no greater strength in Thera than the unity of the Light, do
not work against the Maran...but also do not become too much like them.

Guide the squires as well as the scribes. Shepherd them as they walk along the path to the Brigade. Guide their minds and hearts so their eyes are always upon the Light.

Maran:

The Maran stand as protectors of the Light. ....we fight to keep and maintain all that is pure and holy under the Light, pure and holy.

Take great care in what you hunt, and how you hunt. Take care not to become what you hunt, for if you do, you will find the wrath you once called upon... called down upon you.

Walk the path of Light and do not stray. Walk the path tightly, for the fall to either side is long and deadly.

My Translation:

Killing Good PCs/NPCs:
Don't kill them, accidently or intentionally. I get that accidents happen in a game. So you get a mulligan - 1 accident kill. Anything after that will be looked at and in most cases you are booted from Fortress.

Atone for being booted:
If you don't delete outright from this, you can atone and fight for a second chance. Continue to uphold the character of someone in the Fortress and seek atonement from Ignolmeer or Avderlain. From there, you will go on a crusade. Complete it and you'll earn a place back among the Fortress.

Promotion to Maran/Acolyte:

It's as simple as reaching level 30 or 15 hours in cabal, whichever comes second. Once criteria is met, we'll promote as able.

Questions?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Do these rules for promotion still apply?, mage, 18-Dec-17 08:01 PM, #21
Reply No, these are not valid guidelines., Destuvius, 18-Dec-17 08:07 PM, #22
     Reply I think they were just trying to make the game funner. ..., Lhydia, 19-Dec-17 08:39 AM, #23
          Reply RE: I think they were just trying to make the game funn..., Rahsael, 19-Dec-17 01:27 PM, #24
               Reply RE: I think they were just trying to make the game funn..., Thaedan (Anonymous), 21-Dec-17 01:09 AM, #25
Reply RE: Fortress Dogma/Promotion Clarification, Kstatida, 07-Jul-17 04:07 AM, #6
Reply RE: Fortress Dogma/Promotion Clarification, Ignolmeer, 07-Jul-17 10:40 AM, #15
     Reply So....and, not or. Logic!, Jormyr, 07-Jul-17 08:08 PM, #17
Reply RE: Fortress Dogma/Promotion Clarification, robdarken_, 07-Jul-17 03:51 AM, #5
Reply RE: Fortress Dogma/Promotion Clarification, Ignolmeer, 07-Jul-17 10:43 AM, #16
Reply That last part made me fall out of my chair., TMNS, 06-Jul-17 10:47 PM, #1
     Reply Re Wanted, Ignolmeer, 06-Jul-17 11:03 PM, #2
          Reply RE: Re Wanted, TMNS, 07-Jul-17 12:28 AM, #3
          Reply Just a question, Jugynheim (NOT Curious), 07-Jul-17 01:10 AM, #4
          Reply No animal should be golden aura, Kstatida, 07-Jul-17 04:09 AM, #7
          Reply What about Unicorns?, The-me, 07-Jul-17 06:29 AM, #8
               Reply Despite what you think, Kstatida, 07-Jul-17 09:18 AM, #11
                    Reply RE: Despite what you think, Ignolmeer, 07-Jul-17 09:31 AM, #12
                         Reply Do you even swing bro?, The-me, 07-Jul-17 10:16 AM, #14
          Reply Re: good aligned animals, Ignolmeer, 07-Jul-17 07:50 AM, #10
          Reply RE: Re Wanted, The-me, 07-Jul-17 07:40 AM, #9
               Reply There are edges for that, Kstatida, 07-Jul-17 09:42 AM, #13
                    Reply Right?, Lhydia, 08-Jul-17 08:03 AM, #18
                         Reply Doesn't work like that... , Ignolmeer, 08-Jul-17 11:28 AM, #19
                              Reply Oh that clears it up. Thanks. , Lhydia, 08-Jul-17 01:23 PM, #20

mageMon 18-Dec-17 08:01 PM
Member since 05th Apr 2008
248 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69549, "Do these rules for promotion still apply?"
In response to Reply #0

Just wondering, since I don't see Ignolmeer on the wizlist anymore, haven't heard anything from Avderlain since I returned to CF, and haven't heard any clarification or update from Korsgaard.

DestuviusMon 18-Dec-17 08:07 PM
Member since 08th Oct 2013
1012 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69550, "No, these are not valid guidelines."
In response to Reply #21

If it was intended for Maran to be so ungodly trivial and easy to obtain, there would be no Squire position at all.

LhydiaTue 19-Dec-17 08:39 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2390 posts
#69552, "I think they were just trying to make the game funner. ..."
In response to Reply #22

Gr

RahsaelTue 19-Dec-17 01:27 PM
Member since 05th May 2017
232 posts
#69554, "RE: I think they were just trying to make the game funn..."
In response to Reply #23

I don't think that makes the game more fun in this case.

There's a balance, I think, between challenge and reward. If you're rewarded without a challenge, it doesn't feel like an achievement - it doesn't have any value or command any respect from others.

If you sign up for Maran and know you'll get bumped up at level 30, becoming a Maran is no longer an achievement. It's just something you feel entitled to.

I think some people have gone overboard in the other direction in the past. No, you shouldn't have to sink 200-300 hours into a character for a Fort promotion (though there are some rare achievements IC that should take at least that long). But it's not something that should be taken for granted, either. Those are my two cents, anyway, as a non-Fort IMM.

Thaedan (Anonymous)Thu 21-Dec-17 01:08 AM
Charter member
#69572, "RE: I think they were just trying to make the game funn..."
In response to Reply #24
Edited on Thu 21-Dec-17 01:09 AM

I would set minimum requirements for:

Game hours played
Character age in RL Days
Game hours since joining Fortress
RL days since joining Fortress
Character Level
# of Evil PKs
"Quality of Role Play"

...then promote once all minimum requirements are satisfied. Possible minimum values, without thinking too hard about it:

40 hours
10 days
20 hours
10 days
Level 30
10 ePKs
"Reasonably Adequate"

Would probably need to be tweaked.

KstatidaFri 07-Jul-17 04:07 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#68533, "RE: Fortress Dogma/Promotion Clarification"
In response to Reply #0

>It's as simple as reaching level 30 or 15 hours in cabal,
>whichever comes second. Once criteria is met, we'll promote
>as able.

Holy Molly! Maran for 15 hours in cabal? I'm rolling Ishuli's monk.

IgnolmeerFri 07-Jul-17 10:40 AM
77 posts
#68552, "RE: Fortress Dogma/Promotion Clarification"
In response to Reply #6

Which ever comes second... Overall it should be closer to parallel with other cabals. It's not perfect...

Also easy up comes with an easy out by enforcing the rules as established.

Enjoy your monk!

JormyrFri 07-Jul-17 08:08 PM
Member since 31st Dec 2014
422 posts
#68569, "So....and, not or. Logic!"
In response to Reply #15

Whichever comes second means both must be met, hence "and". Level 30 *AND* 15 hours in the cabal. I've been doing my best to resist just going in and editing the posts myself for correct logic phrasing, heh.

I meant to post earlier, but apparently CF doesn't allow me to post from my phone.

robdarken_Fri 07-Jul-17 03:51 AM
Member since 09th Sep 2009
374 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#68531, "RE: Fortress Dogma/Promotion Clarification"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Fri 07-Jul-17 03:51 AM

"Questions?"
Were you dropped on your head?

IgnolmeerFri 07-Jul-17 10:43 AM
77 posts
#68554, "RE: Fortress Dogma/Promotion Clarification"
In response to Reply #5

They said the only effects would be poor grammar and a subconscious refusal to proofread!

TMNSThu 06-Jul-17 10:47 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#68527, "That last part made me fall out of my chair."
In response to Reply #0

That being said, at least 1 of my failed goodies didn't deserve Maran in any shape or fashion, but yeah

These all seem pretty fair and cut-and-dry, by the way.

FWIW I never minded that good-aligned guards will/can attack you if you are Wanted...what bothered me is many are like level 5 and you kill them in literally half a second (aka you one-round them). It puts a lot of restrictions on goodies who aren't played by knowledgeable vets who know where all these guards are and therefore they know to steer clear of certain places.

Is it possible to either juice some of those super low level goodie guards or perhaps make any guard under level 15 not attack a Wanted char?

Just a thought.

That being said, you don't have to necessary be a Fort char to be a goodie. You can still do Tribunal/Battle/Outlander (and I can imagine Outlander goodies get a lot more leeway in NPC goodie guards killed).

IgnolmeerThu 06-Jul-17 11:03 PM
77 posts
#68528, "Re Wanted"
In response to Reply #1

I've been handling this IC. The Marshall has issued out a memo written by Talimor on how to get around without stumbling into most guards. I'm working on a more permanent aid.

As far as the risks to being wanted... They'll stand. You choose to be wanted and maintain it, you deal with it. Most noobs don't stay wanted very long anyway.

TMNSFri 07-Jul-17 12:28 AM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#68529, "RE: Re Wanted"
In response to Reply #2

I agree re: being Wanted. If you do the crime, do the time.

That being said, glad something IC is happening re: weak-ass guards that get slaughtered.

Jugynheim (NOT Curious)Fri 07-Jul-17 01:09 AM
Charter member
In response to Reply #2
Edited on Fri 07-Jul-17 01:10 AM

There are some instances where you cannot see good aligned mobs that questionably shouldn't be flagged good.

An example. There are owls I believe with the Dire Wolves in a specific woodland area. These owls are of the light, and camouflage if memory serves. Some random lizards are also of the light, though at least they're visible. Are these animals supposed to be lightwalkers or? It's not too hard to accidentally burn through that good aligned mob you couldn't see until it's far too late.

KstatidaFri 07-Jul-17 04:09 AM
2214 posts
#68534, "No animal should be golden aura"
In response to Reply #4

NT

The-meFri 07-Jul-17 06:29 AM
Member since 14th Jun 2011
333 posts
#68535, "What about Unicorns?"
In response to Reply #7

Or is that just the horn?

KstatidaFri 07-Jul-17 09:18 AM
2214 posts
#68541, "Despite what you think"
In response to Reply #8

Being fond of virgin chicks doesn't make you good

IgnolmeerFri 07-Jul-17 09:31 AM
77 posts
#68545, "RE: Despite what you think"
In response to Reply #11

I always thought a unicorn was the single female swinger... Too far? Nah!

The-meFri 07-Jul-17 10:16 AM
333 posts
#68551, "Do you even swing bro?"
In response to Reply #12

I am 100% sure there are tons of single female swingers, like you probably would need a lot of alcohol to consider hitting that, but depending on your natural charisma your mileage may vary.

IgnolmeerFri 07-Jul-17 07:50 AM
77 posts
#68538, "Re: good aligned animals"
In response to Reply #4

As you come across ones you think shouldn't be good, please, feel free to bug board them and they can be reviewed and possibly updated.

The-meFri 07-Jul-17 07:40 AM
333 posts
#68537, "RE: Re Wanted"
In response to Reply #2

Nah all mobs should be affected by the aggro check code the same way a bunch of aggro mobs are currently. If the hero is too high a level the mobs simply dont attack, same for good align mobs vs good wanted criminals.

Galadon, Voralion, Seatryn, Arkham - All have good align guards oh and Balator of course - so basically being a goodie criminal and trying to do anything but die, is quite challenging.

KstatidaFri 07-Jul-17 09:41 AM
2214 posts
#68547, "There are edges for that"
In response to Reply #9
Edited on Fri 07-Jul-17 09:42 AM

Oh wait.

LhydiaSat 08-Jul-17 08:03 AM
2390 posts
#68577, "Right?"
In response to Reply #13

But at least all fort chars can now just rp that the accidental guard kill was their free one.

IgnolmeerSat 08-Jul-17 11:27 AM
77 posts
#68578, "Doesn't work like that... "
In response to Reply #18
Edited on Sat 08-Jul-17 11:28 AM

<Pretending to write out why>

LhydiaSat 08-Jul-17 01:23 PM
2390 posts
#68579, "Oh that clears it up. Thanks. "
In response to Reply #19

<continues plotting against you>

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #68526 Previous topic | Next topic