Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectFortress Dogma/Promotion Clarification
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=68526
68526, Fortress Dogma/Promotion Clarification
Posted by Ignolmeer on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Background taken right out of the Fortress lore:

Acolyte:
You are the shield of light. Protect those of the Light, and stand fast against the forces of the Darkness.

The Maran are your brothers, as you protect them, so they protect you.
There is no greater strength in Thera than the unity of the Light, do
not work against the Maran...but also do not become too much like them.

Guide the squires as well as the scribes. Shepherd them as they walk along the path to the Brigade. Guide their minds and hearts so their eyes are always upon the Light.

Maran:

The Maran stand as protectors of the Light. ....we fight to keep and maintain all that is pure and holy under the Light, pure and holy.

Take great care in what you hunt, and how you hunt. Take care not to become what you hunt, for if you do, you will find the wrath you once called upon... called down upon you.

Walk the path of Light and do not stray. Walk the path tightly, for the fall to either side is long and deadly.

My Translation:

Killing Good PCs/NPCs:
Don't kill them, accidently or intentionally. I get that accidents happen in a game. So you get a mulligan - 1 accident kill. Anything after that will be looked at and in most cases you are booted from Fortress.

Atone for being booted:
If you don't delete outright from this, you can atone and fight for a second chance. Continue to uphold the character of someone in the Fortress and seek atonement from Ignolmeer or Avderlain. From there, you will go on a crusade. Complete it and you'll earn a place back among the Fortress.

Promotion to Maran/Acolyte:

It's as simple as reaching level 30 or 15 hours in cabal, whichever comes second. Once criteria is met, we'll promote as able.

Questions?

69549, Do these rules for promotion still apply?
Posted by mage on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Just wondering, since I don't see Ignolmeer on the wizlist anymore, haven't heard anything from Avderlain since I returned to CF, and haven't heard any clarification or update from Korsgaard.
69550, No, these are not valid guidelines.
Posted by Destuvius on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
If it was intended for Maran to be so ungodly trivial and easy to obtain, there would be no Squire position at all.
69552, I think they were just trying to make the game funner. n/t
Posted by Lhydia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Gr
69554, RE: I think they were just trying to make the game funner. n/t
Posted by Rahsael on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I don't think that makes the game more fun in this case.

There's a balance, I think, between challenge and reward. If you're rewarded without a challenge, it doesn't feel like an achievement - it doesn't have any value or command any respect from others.

If you sign up for Maran and know you'll get bumped up at level 30, becoming a Maran is no longer an achievement. It's just something you feel entitled to.

I think some people have gone overboard in the other direction in the past. No, you shouldn't have to sink 200-300 hours into a character for a Fort promotion (though there are some rare achievements IC that should take at least that long). But it's not something that should be taken for granted, either. Those are my two cents, anyway, as a non-Fort IMM.
69572, RE: I think they were just trying to make the game funner. n/t
Posted by Thaedan on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I would set minimum requirements for:

Game hours played
Character age in RL Days
Game hours since joining Fortress
RL days since joining Fortress
Character Level
# of Evil PKs
"Quality of Role Play"

...then promote once all minimum requirements are satisfied. Possible minimum values, without thinking too hard about it:

40 hours
10 days
20 hours
10 days
Level 30
10 ePKs
"Reasonably Adequate"

Would probably need to be tweaked.
68533, RE: Fortress Dogma/Promotion Clarification
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>It's as simple as reaching level 30 or 15 hours in cabal,
>whichever comes second. Once criteria is met, we'll promote
>as able.

Holy Molly! Maran for 15 hours in cabal? I'm rolling Ishuli's monk.
68552, RE: Fortress Dogma/Promotion Clarification
Which ever comes second... Overall it should be closer to parallel with other cabals. It's not perfect...

Also easy up comes with an easy out by enforcing the rules as established.

Enjoy your monk!
68569, So....and, not or. Logic!
Posted by Jormyr on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Whichever comes second means both must be met, hence "and". Level 30 *AND* 15 hours in the cabal. I've been doing my best to resist just going in and editing the posts myself for correct logic phrasing, heh.

I meant to post earlier, but apparently CF doesn't allow me to post from my phone.
68531, RE: Fortress Dogma/Promotion Clarification
Posted by robdarken_ on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
"Questions?"
Were you dropped on your head?
68554, RE: Fortress Dogma/Promotion Clarification
They said the only effects would be poor grammar and a subconscious refusal to proofread!
68527, That last part made me fall out of my chair.
Posted by TMNS on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
That being said, at least 1 of my failed goodies didn't deserve Maran in any shape or fashion, but yeah :)

These all seem pretty fair and cut-and-dry, by the way.

FWIW I never minded that good-aligned guards will/can attack you if you are Wanted...what bothered me is many are like level 5 and you kill them in literally half a second (aka you one-round them). It puts a lot of restrictions on goodies who aren't played by knowledgeable vets who know where all these guards are and therefore they know to steer clear of certain places.

Is it possible to either juice some of those super low level goodie guards or perhaps make any guard under level 15 not attack a Wanted char?

Just a thought.

That being said, you don't have to necessary be a Fort char to be a goodie. You can still do Tribunal/Battle/Outlander (and I can imagine Outlander goodies get a lot more leeway in NPC goodie guards killed).
68528, Re Wanted
I've been handling this IC. The Marshall has issued out a memo written by Talimor on how to get around without stumbling into most guards. I'm working on a more permanent aid.

As far as the risks to being wanted... They'll stand. You choose to be wanted and maintain it, you deal with it. Most noobs don't stay wanted very long anyway.
68529, RE: Re Wanted
Posted by TMNS on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I agree re: being Wanted. If you do the crime, do the time.

That being said, glad something IC is happening re: weak-ass guards that get slaughtered.
68530, Just a question
Posted by Curious on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
There are some instances where you cannot see good aligned mobs that questionably shouldn't be flagged good.

An example. There are owls I believe with the Dire Wolves in a specific woodland area. These owls are of the light, and camouflage if memory serves. Some random lizards are also of the light, though at least they're visible. Are these animals supposed to be lightwalkers or? It's not too hard to accidentally burn through that good aligned mob you couldn't see until it's far too late.
68534, No animal should be golden aura
NT
68535, What about Unicorns?
Posted by The-me on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Or is that just the horn?
68541, Despite what you think
Being fond of virgin chicks doesn't make you good
68545, RE: Despite what you think
I always thought a unicorn was the single female swinger... Too far? Nah!
68551, Do you even swing bro?
I am 100% sure there are tons of single female swingers, like you probably would need a lot of alcohol to consider hitting that, but depending on your natural charisma your mileage may vary.
68538, Re: good aligned animals
As you come across ones you think shouldn't be good, please, feel free to bug board them and they can be reviewed and possibly updated.
68537, RE: Re Wanted
Nah all mobs should be affected by the aggro check code the same way a bunch of aggro mobs are currently. If the hero is too high a level the mobs simply dont attack, same for good align mobs vs good wanted criminals.

Galadon, Voralion, Seatryn, Arkham - All have good align guards oh and Balator of course - so basically being a goodie criminal and trying to do anything but die, is quite challenging.
68547, There are edges for that
Oh wait.
68577, Right?
But at least all fort chars can now just rp that the accidental guard kill was their free one.
68578, Doesn't work like that...
<Pretending to write out why>
68579, Oh that clears it up. Thanks.
<continues plotting against you>