Subject: "Sigil of Pain" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #65300
Show all folders

Log Reader (Anonymous)Tue 15-Nov-16 12:28 AM
Charter member
#65300, "Sigil of Pain"

Shouldn't it be a two round power, not one? It's incredibly powerful, and it's just a one rounder. Maybe reconsider that?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply My view has always been...., FormerEmp (Anonymous), 20-Nov-16 03:40 AM, #34
Reply RE: My view has always been...., Umiron, 20-Nov-16 04:11 PM, #38
     Reply The big thing is that insects has a cool down timer, Venara, 20-Nov-16 05:16 PM, #40
          Reply RE: The big thing is that insects has a cool down timer, incognito, 26-Nov-16 12:58 AM, #51
Reply RE: Sigil of Pain, Log Reader (Anonymous), 19-Nov-16 01:07 PM, #10
Reply Like all "flavor of the month" complaints, Destuvius, 19-Nov-16 01:13 PM, #11
Reply RE: Like all , Log Reader (Anonymous), 19-Nov-16 01:17 PM, #12
Reply RE: Like all , incognito, 19-Nov-16 05:24 PM, #23
Reply What's the root?, TJHuron, 19-Nov-16 01:20 PM, #13
Reply Imo its the throw edge, Destuvius, 19-Nov-16 01:29 PM, #14
     Reply So I agree with most of this but, incognito, 19-Nov-16 05:27 PM, #24
     Reply Edges are great, their balance wasn't. n/t, N b M, 19-Nov-16 05:33 PM, #27
     Reply Agree to disagree, Destuvius, 19-Nov-16 05:58 PM, #29
     Reply The Emperor isn't a big enough asshole. , Lhydia, 19-Nov-16 06:12 PM, #30
     Reply I guess you just didn't post logs when being active, Kstatida, 21-Nov-16 10:02 AM, #46
     Reply I've been complaining about assassins for years :) NT, TMNS, 21-Nov-16 10:43 AM, #48
     Reply Now that you mention striking, TJHuron, 20-Nov-16 10:02 AM, #36
          Reply wut?, Lhydia, 20-Nov-16 10:42 AM, #37
          Reply My two assassins had the hand fighting edge , TJHuron, 20-Nov-16 04:58 PM, #39
          Reply Atemi Waza? There is always a counter to extra damage., Murphy, 20-Nov-16 07:55 PM, #41
               Reply I was talking about the throw edge. Sorry if I made tha..., TJHuron, 20-Nov-16 08:05 PM, #43
          Reply Restrictions to throw cease to matter with the edge., Murphy, 20-Nov-16 07:58 PM, #42
               Reply How do you throw someone you aren't aiming at? n/t, Lhydia, 20-Nov-16 09:07 PM, #44
                    Reply I meant the victim not aiming at the assassin, Murphy, 20-Nov-16 09:39 PM, #45
          Reply RE: Now that you mention striking, incognito, 22-Nov-16 02:55 AM, #49
               Reply Problem with that edge, Kstatida, 22-Nov-16 02:58 AM, #50
Reply I think its strongest on a warrior, laxman, 19-Nov-16 01:54 PM, #15
Reply RE: I think its strongest on a warrior, Destuvius, 19-Nov-16 01:56 PM, #16
     Reply uh, sure did. nt, Dallevian, 19-Nov-16 03:52 PM, #18
     Reply The lady doth protest too much, methinks. (nt), Bemused, 19-Nov-16 05:43 PM, #28
     Reply RE: I think its strongest on a warrior, Zephon, 27-Nov-16 12:08 AM, #52
Reply imperial tactics and sigil both need failure checks., Dallevian, 19-Nov-16 03:51 PM, #17
     Reply RE: imperial tactics and sigil both need failure checks..., Destuvius, 19-Nov-16 04:13 PM, #19
          Reply It's only gnarly on summoners, laxman, 19-Nov-16 04:49 PM, #21
               Reply Assassinate against a muter as soon as he pops out of d..., Lhydia, 19-Nov-16 06:14 PM, #31
Reply RE: Sigil of Pain, Umiron, 19-Nov-16 04:48 PM, #20
     Reply Color me curious, N b M, 19-Nov-16 05:17 PM, #22
     Reply RE: Color me curious, incognito, 19-Nov-16 05:29 PM, #25
     Reply RE: Color me curious, Umiron, 19-Nov-16 07:02 PM, #32
          Reply Thoughts re: roving murder squad, Tac, 19-Nov-16 07:22 PM, #33
          Reply RE: Thoughts re: roving murder squad, incognito, 20-Nov-16 06:54 AM, #35
          Reply RE: Color me curious, Drehir, 27-Nov-16 12:40 AM, #54
     Reply RE: Sigil of Pain, Drehir, 27-Nov-16 12:36 AM, #53
Reply It is a leader power., Murphy, 15-Nov-16 08:30 AM, #4
Reply Lieutenants are better tbh. Insects are comparable. N..., TMNS, 15-Nov-16 08:44 AM, #5
Reply RE: Lieutenants are better tbh. Insects are comparable..., incognito, 16-Nov-16 03:21 PM, #8
     Reply it's like instant zombie army on demand, laxman, 16-Nov-16 06:18 PM, #9
Reply Indeed, Kstatida, 15-Nov-16 09:23 AM, #7
Reply One round STARTER at that, Kstatida, 15-Nov-16 06:19 AM, #1
     Reply RE: One round STARTER at that, incognito, 15-Nov-16 07:36 AM, #2
          Reply Perma-lag is only dangerous if you can do enough damage..., TMNS, 15-Nov-16 08:00 AM, #3
          Reply Sigil makes you die in two throws, Kstatida, 15-Nov-16 09:22 AM, #6
               Reply RE: Sigil makes you die in two throws, incognito, 19-Nov-16 05:32 PM, #26
                    Reply I love it, Kstatida, 21-Nov-16 10:15 AM, #47

FormerEmp (Anonymous)Sun 20-Nov-16 03:40 AM
Charter member
#65439, "My view has always been...."
In response to Reply #0

That the Emperor is the most powerful person in Thera. The powers should reflect that. With that being said I've been on the wrong end of it many times. Kurbrawn wrecked me in one flurry on two difference occasions and don't get me started on Ahtieli. But even then it fit with the rp dynamic of the mud.

If there's anything I've ever felt needed a save it's insects. And the crying about insects is louder than all else (even deathblow) when there's a competent flyto shifter, pursuit ranger or warrior.

Point being something is always going to suck when the right players are playing the combo. Just enjoy the game and gang the piss out of them.

UmironSun 20-Nov-16 04:11 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1497 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#65453, "RE: My view has always been...."
In response to Reply #34

>If there's anything I've ever felt needed a save it's insects.
>And the crying about insects is louder than all else (even
>deathblow) when there's a competent flyto shifter, pursuit
>ranger or warrior.

Insects doesn't have a save but it does have a (terrain dependent) chance modifier and the chance itself rarely of ever reaches above 90-95% or so even in primo terrain, with the exception that insects love to bone undead.

VenaraSun 20-Nov-16 05:16 PM
Member since 11th Oct 2016
52 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#65455, "The big thing is that insects has a cool down timer"
In response to Reply #38

Should sigil have a cool down timer?

incognitoSat 26-Nov-16 12:58 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#65595, "RE: The big thing is that insects has a cool down timer"
In response to Reply #40

You still have to escape the first set of insects.

I don't think sigil is the kind of threat insects is.

Log Reader (Anonymous)Sat 19-Nov-16 01:07 PM
Charter member
#65413, "RE: Sigil of Pain"
In response to Reply #0

The other question I have is if there's a save against sigil. As lots of people keep saying there is a save against phoenix brand, and soften and all the other similar stuff, but I haven't yet seen a log of sigil failing. Not once.

So I'd ask for two things, see what people think.

Make sigil two rounds.

Imms, please check and see if there is a save for sigil and if it's working right. If there isn't, shouldn't there be?

DestuviusSat 19-Nov-16 01:13 PM
Member since 08th Oct 2013
1012 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#65414, "Like all "flavor of the month" complaints"
In response to Reply #10

There probably wont be any changes about this. People didn't complain about sigil when it was on a shaman or a warrior. If sigil was on a healer, no one cares. The root of the problem isn't sigil.

Log Reader (Anonymous)Sat 19-Nov-16 01:17 PM
Charter member
#65415, "RE: Like all "
In response to Reply #11

Shouldn't there at least be a chance to save against it? Why is this one thing without any chance to resist?

incognitoSat 19-Nov-16 05:24 PM
4495 posts
#65428, "RE: Like all "
In response to Reply #12

Why should everything have a chance to resist?

TJHuronSat 19-Nov-16 01:20 PM
Member since 28th Nov 2007
1132 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#65416, "What's the root?"
In response to Reply #11

Throw edge?

I'd be really curious to hear what the staffs opinion on that edge is. Is it just anothe flavor of the month complaint or is there merit to it?

DestuviusSat 19-Nov-16 01:29 PM
1012 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#65417, "Imo its the throw edge"
In response to Reply #13

I lump that edge into the same category as Striking legacy in that adding that 1 variable onto a character who can benefit from it makes WAY too large of an impact.

Personally, I would remove both of those things because it would go a long way in making assassins and elven (any race of them really) warriors back at the same powerline as other things.

Something that I also think has been an unintended and potentially negative side affect of the EP removal is that assassins suffered from it less than other classes, primarily because of the way their edges were designed. Assassins have a lot of mutually exclusive edges whereas other classes have edges that stack on top of a previous edge etc.

So if every class only gets 5 edges, assassin is still pretty similar in power scale as they were when they had 20 edges. They just have less of the additional fluff and fancy stuff, but they still have their master of X edge, their buki edge and things like a master of kot/kan.

incognitoSat 19-Nov-16 05:27 PM
4495 posts
#65429, "So I agree with most of this but"
In response to Reply #14

The solution to things with too large an impact is to reduce the effectiveness, not to take them out altogher. Eg tail of the lizard scrolls should exist for balance reasons, but the success rate of avoiding bashes needed to be about a third of what it was.

N b MSat 19-Nov-16 05:33 PM
Member since 29th Sep 2005
444 posts
#65432, "Edges are great, their balance wasn't. n/t"
In response to Reply #24

/

DestuviusSat 19-Nov-16 05:58 PM
1012 posts
#65434, "Agree to disagree"
In response to Reply #24

No matter what decisions the staff makes, some people are happy and some are mad. I would rather just blow up the small things that create large problems if it was up to me.

LhydiaSat 19-Nov-16 06:12 PM
2390 posts
#65435, "The Emperor isn't a big enough asshole. "
In response to Reply #14

Nobody complained about the throw edge on Niji and I probably had more pk's than current Emperor. You have to give them something real to complain about or they create things to fill the void.

KstatidaMon 21-Nov-16 10:02 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#65480, "I guess you just didn't post logs when being active"
In response to Reply #30

With comments like "Throw is not OP mmmkay"

TMNSMon 21-Nov-16 10:43 AM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#65482, "I've been complaining about assassins for years :) NT"
In response to Reply #30

NT

TJHuronSun 20-Nov-16 10:02 AM
1132 posts
#65444, "Now that you mention striking"
In response to Reply #14

When I think about it, as a melee type character in general, I like my chances against the striking elf better than the throw assassin.

I think that in itself says a lot since I am basically saying an edge is better than one of the most powerful legacies.

At least with striking there are things that can be done to counter it to some degree. You can have high int, you can be predictable, heck even a cranial can help.

As far as I know there are no counters to the throw edge.

Having played a few striking elves I'd be cool with it's removal. If even for the mere fact that when you roll an elf you wouldn't feel so obligated to take striking and could try something else out.

I also agree with your opinions on assassin edges and that throw edge should be removed but if not the removal of throw edge I think it should at least be nerfed and some counters given. Actually I think both should be done. Remove for future assassins and nerfed for the current.

LhydiaSun 20-Nov-16 10:42 AM
2390 posts
#65446, "wut?"
In response to Reply #36

As far as I know there are no counters to the throw edge.

You've played CF for how many years and have had how many assassins with this edge and you're saying you still don't know restrictions to throw or edged throw?

Are you suuuuuuuuuuuuure you aren't just jumping on the 'throw edge is OP and needs to go' 3rd Quarter (Sept-Nov) bandwagon?

There's a lot of other stuff you could complain about. Just because an active Emperor has throw edge does not mean CF is broken.

TJHuronSun 20-Nov-16 04:58 PM
1132 posts
#65454, "My two assassins had the hand fighting edge "
In response to Reply #37

And I don't know any counter to it for melee classes. Care to share?

MurphySun 20-Nov-16 07:55 PM
Member since 30th Dec 2010
1639 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#65462, "Atemi Waza? There is always a counter to extra damage."
In response to Reply #39

It's called damage reduction.

TJHuronSun 20-Nov-16 08:05 PM
1132 posts
#65464, "I was talking about the throw edge. Sorry if I made tha..."
In response to Reply #41

Nt

MurphySun 20-Nov-16 07:58 PM
1639 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#65463, "Restrictions to throw cease to matter with the edge."
In response to Reply #37

They can still throw you with 99% reliability even when you're bigger and not aiming at them.

LhydiaSun 20-Nov-16 09:07 PM
2390 posts
#65465, "How do you throw someone you aren't aiming at? n/t"
In response to Reply #42

gr

MurphySun 20-Nov-16 09:39 PM
1639 posts
#65470, "I meant the victim not aiming at the assassin"
In response to Reply #44

Reading comprehension and common sense.

incognitoTue 22-Nov-16 02:55 AM
4495 posts
#65527, "RE: Now that you mention striking"
In response to Reply #36

Well, unpredictable edge, which counters striking, also counters martial trance iirc.

I don't remember getting blocked too often and I put it down to that edge.

It's kind of stupid that the edge is so useful because striking is so popular.

KstatidaTue 22-Nov-16 02:58 AM
2214 posts
#65529, "Problem with that edge"
In response to Reply #49

is that requires int as prerequisite. Which should be fixed. Would fix many trance/STSF issues as well.

P.S. Oh the edge points, right.

laxmanSat 19-Nov-16 01:54 PM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#65418, "I think its strongest on a warrior"
In response to Reply #11

They have a lot of both passive and active damage so it really shines.

DestuviusSat 19-Nov-16 01:56 PM
1012 posts
#65419, "RE: I think its strongest on a warrior"
In response to Reply #15

I agree with that statement. But did anyone complain about sigil when Hunsobo or Jarlduz had it? Nope!

DallevianSat 19-Nov-16 03:52 PM
1639 posts
#65421, "uh, sure did. nt"
In response to Reply #16

nt

BemusedSat 19-Nov-16 05:43 PM
Member since 15th Oct 2013
665 posts
#65433, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks. (nt)"
In response to Reply #18

gr

ZephonSun 27-Nov-16 12:08 AM
Member since 21st Mar 2007
488 posts
#65596, "RE: I think its strongest on a warrior"
In response to Reply #16

Actually I complained about Hunsobo in general. But he also had really good gear and a duergar shaman played by Isildur at the time. Which completely rocked Zephon...which mostly did not have to do with sigil. Poor Zephon. Summon bash is not your friend.

DallevianSat 19-Nov-16 03:51 PM
1639 posts
#65420, "imperial tactics and sigil both need failure checks."
In response to Reply #11

they've needed them for over a decade, people have complained about them for over a decade, and i myself have complained about them for over a decade. there are not 2 skills in the game of similar power without a failure check.

it is absolutely retarded that tactics trip/dirt/disarm never fails, never does a skill check, or modified stat check, or anything, on any type of class. tactics should check by class (blades should have higher chance to land than an emperor black or divine sect) and by skill (dagger should disarm less than sword, or trip should land less for a sub 20 dex).

imms have toned other abilities appropriately (insects, bloodthirst) over the years but empire has not been touched. weird.

DestuviusSat 19-Nov-16 04:13 PM
1012 posts
#65424, "RE: imperial tactics and sigil both need failure checks..."
In response to Reply #17

I would guess its because the various coders over the years haven't felt that there was a need for it. I would guess there are more situations where insects or bloodthirst made a bigger impact than tactics or sigil.

I can't believe there isn't a bigger hate getting thrown at piercing gaze. Detect all is way more of a game changer than free trip or free disarm (both of which are pretty easy to make irrelevant esp these days).

laxmanSat 19-Nov-16 04:49 PM
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#65426, "It's only gnarly on summoners"
In response to Reply #19

The limits are decent because while they know someone is there it's not as good as having detect X.

But when you can summon them out of concealment it gets a bit messy. I guess it works that way to let assassins stalk camo targets. If it was changed it could help cabal defense against emperor AP, necro, and shaman.

LhydiaSat 19-Nov-16 06:14 PM
2390 posts
#65436, "Assassinate against a muter as soon as he pops out of d..."
In response to Reply #21

gr

UmironSat 19-Nov-16 04:48 PM
1497 posts
#65425, "RE: Sigil of Pain"
In response to Reply #10

You can fail to call Sigil of Pain in the same way you can lose your concentration when casting a spell, but if the spell actually attempts it will land 100% of the time. There's no opportunity to save or otherwise resist it.

N b MSat 19-Nov-16 05:17 PM
Member since 29th Sep 2005
444 posts
#65427, "Color me curious"
In response to Reply #20

How many other spells or communes are there that will land 100% of the time as long as they are used successfully?

incognitoSat 19-Nov-16 05:29 PM
4495 posts
#65430, "RE: Color me curious"
In response to Reply #22

Faerie fire.

Almost All damage spells (just less so).

Entangle supp.

I could probably go on.

UmironSat 19-Nov-16 07:02 PM
1497 posts
#65437, "RE: Color me curious"
In response to Reply #22

Almost all spells (or communes/powers) behave this way, but many especially powerful abilities bake in a save or otherwise provide some means if resistance. Examples include rot, neurological disruption, sleep, and corporeal softening (which has a similar effect to sigil).

My two cents is that sigil not allowing for a save isn't the worst thing in the world (DR is plentiful, after all).

I think the source of people's frustration with it right now more stems from the fact that a cabal that's purpose is to be a roving murder squad may not make as much sense in modern CF as it did back when the game was a massive game of multi-team CTF, and that's exacerbated by the good vs. evil skew that Verathi sort of described in Xisaer's (sp?) goodbye.

TacSat 19-Nov-16 07:22 PM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
#65438, "Thoughts re: roving murder squad"
In response to Reply #32

>I think the source of people's frustration with it right now
>more stems from the fact that a cabal that's purpose is to be
>a roving murder squad may not make as much sense in modern CF
>as it did back when the game was a massive game of multi-team
>CTF, and that's exacerbated by the good vs. evil skew that
>Verathi sort of described in Xisaer's (sp?) goodbye.
>

I think some of this is that team evil coordinates way better than team good. Team evil can be Empire + Orc, Scarabs + Orc, Battle + Scarabs, Empire + Tribunal, or Tribunal + Orc or...

Where as Good is really just Maran + Acolyte. I can totally understand why Worthag played the way he did, and I've played the same. He is just one (now dead) example of team Evil at it's silliest, which is why I mention him. Basically team Red with no real evil action involved. Totally dependable and reliable as an ally, even for those who know he was also allies with their enemies. Like running with Scarabs one minute, Piscary the next, and Emperor the next. The sad part is, it mostly makes sense from a certain evil RP perspective as well...

incognitoSun 20-Nov-16 06:54 AM
4495 posts
#65441, "RE: Thoughts re: roving murder squad"
In response to Reply #33

Warlock was a great cabal IMO and a good foil to some of the tough classes. But I'd keep the cabal qh separate from fort.

DrehirSun 27-Nov-16 12:40 AM
Member since 19th Jul 2015
85 posts
#65598, "RE: Color me curious"
In response to Reply #32

My opinion is that the way Empire has worked in the past is not exactly good for the game in general. But ganks of 5+ used to be common place. They still sucked back then though.

DrehirSun 27-Nov-16 12:36 AM
Member since 19th Jul 2015
85 posts
#65597, "RE: Sigil of Pain"
In response to Reply #20

That sounds right, but does not seem right. There really should be a counter to that sort of thing. Or at least a fail chance of 5-10%.

MurphyTue 15-Nov-16 08:30 AM
1639 posts
#65305, "It is a leader power."
In response to Reply #0

Insects are just as good, as are provost lieutenants.

TMNSTue 15-Nov-16 08:44 AM
2670 posts
#65306, "Lieutenants are better tbh. Insects are comparable. N..."
In response to Reply #4

NT

incognitoWed 16-Nov-16 03:21 PM
4495 posts
#65333, "RE: Lieutenants are better tbh. Insects are comparable..."
In response to Reply #5

I can't see lieutenants killing me but insects can and does on many of the builds who have had it.

laxmanWed 16-Nov-16 06:18 PM
1867 posts
#65339, "it's like instant zombie army on demand"
In response to Reply #8

They are great meat shields and pump significant damage. Mix that with flee prevention and skill getting engaged and it's nuts. I think we simply have not seen as many player+build combinations to really exploit it as we have outlander leaders.

I mean a lot of triv leaders have been Paladins and shifters. We had one fairly competent assassin that totally disrupted hero range with them (the tabbies helped but just throw and tents is pretty mean)

KstatidaTue 15-Nov-16 09:23 AM
2214 posts
#65308, "Indeed"
In response to Reply #4

What we are discussing are not assassin powers but Emperor assassin who is a damn good PKer.

So taking general decisions based on that instance would be straight out stupid.

KstatidaTue 15-Nov-16 06:19 AM
2214 posts
#65301, "One round STARTER at that"
In response to Reply #0

So you get a sigil and if you don't gtfo the moment you get it, boom goes throw permalag.

incognitoTue 15-Nov-16 07:36 AM
4495 posts
#65302, "RE: One round STARTER at that"
In response to Reply #1

The problem with that is throw permalag, not sigil.

TMNSTue 15-Nov-16 08:00 AM
2670 posts
#65303, "Perma-lag is only dangerous if you can do enough damage..."
In response to Reply #2

Throw + ground control + ground fighter edge + sigil = Guaranteed CAPS damage on everything but uber protected people.

KstatidaTue 15-Nov-16 09:22 AM
2214 posts
#65307, "Sigil makes you die in two throws"
In response to Reply #2

Which is like 50% permalag chance.
W/o sigil, you may stay alive for like 4 or 5 throws, which gives you a chance to do things.

incognitoSat 19-Nov-16 05:32 PM
4495 posts
#65431, "RE: Sigil makes you die in two throws"
In response to Reply #6

Sigil isn't a doubling or more of damage, you realise?

It makes less difference than you claim.

Personally I like it when people sigil me as I don't feel more likely to die and I can use that time to do something. Although vs edged throw I would be using wraith form or armor of thorns.

Now why is sigil fine as it is? Because if the assassin uses sigil on me I can flee and use that prep.

KstatidaMon 21-Nov-16 10:15 AM
2214 posts
#65481, "I love it"
In response to Reply #26

how you post preps extremely limited and unknown to the wide public as common. Well they're not.

Also the point is, if the Emperor uses sigil on you, you've got ONLY 1 round to flee. Most people are not that elite to judge and react so fast. Then you get lagged (50% - for 4 rounds, 25% - for 6 rounds). And if you're smart enough to fail your only flee command or type "where" instead - you're pretty done for.

Then again, if you're smart enough to do a 2 round move in a fight with Naz with no throw protection, and it's met with 1 round sigil and then throw - you almost have no chance, sorry bro.

P.S. And don't give me "6 rounds are not enough to kill me". Because it's MORE than enough because stalk trance.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #65300 Previous topic | Next topic