Subject: "Re-requesting a feature: Animal foci" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #63925
Show all folders

MurphyWed 22-Jun-16 02:14 AM
Member since 30th Dec 2010
1639 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63925, "Re-requesting a feature: Animal foci"

Give shapeshifters an option to choose their focus based on animal family. E.g. you choose canine major, snake minor, and you get four canine forms of respective tiers, and three snake forms.

So many role possibilities...

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply As a habitual shapeshifter player:, Iunna, 22-Jun-16 01:00 PM, #7
Reply I love your second idea., TMNS, 22-Jun-16 08:36 PM, #9
Reply It would work with some form families, Murphy, 22-Jun-16 08:42 PM, #10
Reply I'm sure a shapeshifters are already too good and would..., Shapa, 23-Jun-16 04:53 AM, #13
Reply Clarification., Iunna, 23-Jun-16 09:17 AM, #14
     Reply I've made these request before...., CD, 23-Jun-16 04:46 PM, #15
          Reply RE: I've made these request before...., Bemused, 23-Jun-16 07:46 PM, #16
Reply I would rather see "mixed" forms as a master-quest styl..., Doof, 26-Jun-16 08:54 AM, #17
Reply RE: I would rather see , Jormyr, 26-Jun-16 10:08 AM, #18
Reply Hey, it's a gamble. Sometimes it pays off. :) ..., Doof, 28-Jun-16 09:39 AM, #20
Reply ...reverse centaurs..., Murphy, 28-Jun-16 10:39 AM, #21
     Reply so... Basically British. Nt , laxman, 28-Jun-16 11:18 AM, #22
          Reply Bwahahahaha, Kstatida, 28-Jun-16 02:23 PM, #23
Reply My dream was always offense and water to have a half sh..., lurker, 26-Jun-16 12:31 PM, #19
Reply I just want Laser Cats. NT, TMNS, 28-Jun-16 08:11 PM, #24
     Reply A groupmate could wield you as a weapon! NT, Saagkri, 09-Jul-16 09:40 PM, #26
Reply RE: As a habitual shapeshifter player:, SideStrider, 29-Jun-16 11:21 AM, #25
Reply Sorry, Kstatida, 22-Jun-16 07:28 AM, #1
     Reply Would still be random, and, Murphy, 22-Jun-16 07:30 AM, #2
     Reply RE: Would still be random, and, Kstatida, 22-Jun-16 07:32 AM, #3
          Reply No mixing with offense etc., Murphy, 22-Jun-16 08:16 AM, #4
               Reply Major revamp of forms for the sake of role flavour, Kstatida, 22-Jun-16 08:40 AM, #5
               Reply Major revamp is something else., Murphy, 22-Jun-16 08:51 PM, #11
               Reply So foci doesn't matter?, lasentia, 22-Jun-16 09:27 AM, #6
     Reply Meh, NoobAgain, 22-Jun-16 08:35 PM, #8
          Reply RE: Meh, Kstatida, 23-Jun-16 03:16 AM, #12

IunnaWed 22-Jun-16 01:00 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
473 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63932, "As a habitual shapeshifter player:"
In response to Reply #0

I like the system how it is. Yeah, sometimes I'd rather have form X vs form Y, maybe even for role purposes - but you already know going into the class there's an element of surprise to it (which I think is part of the charm).

From a powergaming standpoint, who wouldn't take something amphibious just to ensure they'd get a land/water regen form, if you're guaranteeing that as an option? Yeah, regen isn't as good as it used to be thanks to dam redux, but regen is regen is regen.

I'd rather see something like cheap lower level edges similar to bones/dice that allow you to swap out lower tier forms. (Less codework considering structure is already there?)

OR

Incorporate some kind of automated lich/mummy-esque quest were you can "request" to learn a specific form, have your guildmaster send you on said quest to gather things specific to learning that form. (More codework)

TMNSWed 22-Jun-16 08:36 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63935, "I love your second idea."
In response to Reply #7
Edited on Wed 22-Jun-16 08:36 PM

Obviously, I would exclude quest forms.

I would probably set the quest to have a requirement of hours like 150.

And probably some type of "pts" system where you need to have 1 benchmark to keep from abuse: 30 quests completed; 30 PKS; 100 hrs in a cabal; 1500 IMM xp; 1 Role Contest Win/Place.

As a complete aside, would be cool if you could also swap out lower tier forms like you mentioned. Whenever I play anything that doesn't have an air or amphibious form, I always wish I could swap out 2 lower-tier forms for 1 lower tier form that has fly or is amphibious. For example, if I went Utility/Offense, perhaps I could give up gazelle and snow badger for shikra.

But yeah that's a lot of coding.

MurphyWed 22-Jun-16 08:42 PM
1639 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63936, "It would work with some form families"
In response to Reply #7
Edited on Wed 22-Jun-16 08:42 PM

Others it would be OP, so don't allow them.

ShapaThu 23-Jun-16 04:44 AM
Member since 22nd Jun 2006
252 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63947, "I'm sure a shapeshifters are already too good and would..."
In response to Reply #7
Edited on Thu 23-Jun-16 04:53 AM

I don't want to see bazilion of tigers/lions, cheetahs and owls/falcons/eagles and all with second regen form.

IunnaThu 23-Jun-16 09:17 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
473 posts
#63950, "Clarification."
In response to Reply #13

Those ideas were specifically for lower tier forms, I realize that second quest idea wasn't as clear. I don't think the current system for end forms needs to change - that's what dice/bones are for.

CDThu 23-Jun-16 04:46 PM
Member since 05th Jul 2012
277 posts
#63953, "I've made these request before...."
In response to Reply #14

Edge to swap out second/third tiers forms. I also firmly believe major foci should get two second tier forms. The second coming at the 37-39 range. This also creates a little more utility/dynamic. It would also create a greater tactic means in the 30's and make it less dull from 31-42

Also a greater chance lower tier forms would be utilized at hero for various tactics.

BemusedThu 23-Jun-16 07:46 PM
Member since 15th Oct 2013
665 posts
#63963, "RE: I've made these request before...."
In response to Reply #15

These are all good ideas. The mid 30 to low 40 ranking as a shifter is bland af. And with Umi being such an analyst he can use the 2nd tier swaps as a basis for what people perceive as weak forms and maybe get some more balance happening to T2.

DoofSun 26-Jun-16 08:54 AM
Member since 03rd Dec 2009
200 posts
#63990, "I would rather see "mixed" forms as a master-quest styl..."
In response to Reply #7

You know you want a rhino-gator or a falco-walrus.

JormyrSun 26-Jun-16 10:08 AM
Member since 31st Dec 2014
422 posts
#63991, "RE: I would rather see "
In response to Reply #17

>You know you want a rhino-gator or a falco-walrus.

Yeah, it SOUNDS cool until you end up with a rhino's backside stuck atop stubby alligator legs, or wings & beak on a walrus' bulk w/ no tusks.

DoofTue 28-Jun-16 09:39 AM
Member since 03rd Dec 2009
200 posts
#63996, "Hey, it's a gamble. Sometimes it pays off. :) ..."
In response to Reply #18

MurphyTue 28-Jun-16 10:39 AM
1639 posts
#63997, "...reverse centaurs..."
In response to Reply #18

nt

laxmanTue 28-Jun-16 11:18 AM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#63998, "so... Basically British. Nt "
In response to Reply #21

Nt

KstatidaTue 28-Jun-16 02:23 PM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63999, "Bwahahahaha"
In response to Reply #22

Sorry guys

lurkerSun 26-Jun-16 12:31 PM
Member since 13th Mar 2006
249 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63992, "My dream was always offense and water to have a half sh..."
In response to Reply #17

Doctor octagon

TMNSTue 28-Jun-16 08:11 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#64000, "I just want Laser Cats. NT"
In response to Reply #17

NT

SaagkriSat 09-Jul-16 09:40 PM
Member since 17th Jun 2014
801 posts
#64030, "A groupmate could wield you as a weapon! NT"
In response to Reply #24

nt

SideStriderWed 29-Jun-16 11:15 AM
Member since 30th Dec 2007
208 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#64004, "RE: As a habitual shapeshifter player:"
In response to Reply #7
Edited on Wed 29-Jun-16 11:21 AM

Honestly I don't see the problem with shapeshifters as they are. I too nearly habitually play a shapeshifter. Allowing any type of quest that would allow people to change their forms to a guaranteed form would be a complete waste of time and it would then end with 85% of shapeshifters running around with the same form. Setting said quest with requirements like TM suggested is also a bad idea as stuff like that brings the douche out in most people.

If anything a few new additional final tier forms in each foci would be a breath of fresh air, but that is a quite a bit of work I know.

And Yes I agree, the elemental of surprise is the best part of playing a shapeshifter. Unless I end up with a lemur or something absolutely distasteful to my play style I generally don't roll or spin my forms.

*Editted to clarify that changing to a guaranteed roll would be a bad idea.

KstatidaWed 22-Jun-16 07:28 AM
2214 posts
#63926, "Sorry"
In response to Reply #0

Removing random factor from shifters is against the class design.

Edit: Oops, wanted to post this under my Umiron account.

MurphyWed 22-Jun-16 07:30 AM
1639 posts
#63927, "Would still be random, and"
In response to Reply #1

...could always balance it in other ways.
Perhaps you only get one focus.

KstatidaWed 22-Jun-16 07:32 AM
2214 posts
#63928, "RE: Would still be random, and"
In response to Reply #2

How would offense+ape be random for major form?

MurphyWed 22-Jun-16 08:16 AM
1639 posts
#63929, "No mixing with offense etc."
In response to Reply #3

And there are at least three top tier primate forms (gorilla, orangutan, howler monkey).

If less than three exist for some form families, yeah, it'd take some work to create some new ones to spice it up, or just exclude that form family from being a choosable option.

KstatidaWed 22-Jun-16 08:40 AM
2214 posts
#63930, "Major revamp of forms for the sake of role flavour"
In response to Reply #4

I see your point.

MurphyWed 22-Jun-16 08:51 PM
1639 posts
#63937, "Major revamp is something else."
In response to Reply #5

I'm not implying creating all those new forms THEN implementing animal foci. Can implement them for those form families that "fit".

It would be nice to expand some form families as well, but it would not be mandatory for the basic implementation of the feature I'm suggesting.

lasentiaWed 22-Jun-16 09:26 AM
Member since 27th Apr 2010
987 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63931, "So foci doesn't matter?"
In response to Reply #4
Edited on Wed 22-Jun-16 09:27 AM

So I could get a 4th tier offense and a 3rd tier defense if I take bear forms? (Like I get polar bear and grizzly?)

And do I still get to pick two foci to have the same amount of forms?
So can I go offense/animal, so I get general offense forms + forms of the animal?

I take reptile every time (assuming it excludes snakes)
Croc/gator/komodo at final form.

or cat
tiger/lion/cheetah/jag/wildcat.

massive mammal
rhino/pachy/walrus

Only problem I see is it excludes most air/water forms, which does make sense.

I have no idea what forms go where for shifters FYI, so a lot of my info in examples is probably wrong.

NoobAgainWed 22-Jun-16 08:35 PM
Member since 01st Mar 2007
411 posts
#63934, "Meh"
In response to Reply #1

It's against class design when leveling is trivial. It's not against class design when leveling to hero is actually a challenge due to low player numbers. We should accept the "new normal" and adjust, so this discussion is fully valid.

KstatidaThu 23-Jun-16 03:16 AM
2214 posts
#63946, "RE: Meh"
In response to Reply #8

Right, the only problem is that point of suggestion is RP, not ranking.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #63925 Previous topic | Next topic