Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectRe-requesting a feature: Animal foci
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=63925
63925, Re-requesting a feature: Animal foci
Posted by Murphy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Give shapeshifters an option to choose their focus based on animal family. E.g. you choose canine major, snake minor, and you get four canine forms of respective tiers, and three snake forms.

So many role possibilities...
63932, As a habitual shapeshifter player:
Posted by Iunna on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I like the system how it is. Yeah, sometimes I'd rather have form X vs form Y, maybe even for role purposes - but you already know going into the class there's an element of surprise to it (which I think is part of the charm).

From a powergaming standpoint, who wouldn't take something amphibious just to ensure they'd get a land/water regen form, if you're guaranteeing that as an option? Yeah, regen isn't as good as it used to be thanks to dam redux, but regen is regen is regen.

I'd rather see something like cheap lower level edges similar to bones/dice that allow you to swap out lower tier forms. (Less codework considering structure is already there?)

OR

Incorporate some kind of automated lich/mummy-esque quest were you can "request" to learn a specific form, have your guildmaster send you on said quest to gather things specific to learning that form. (More codework)
63935, I love your second idea.
Posted by TMNS on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Obviously, I would exclude quest forms.

I would probably set the quest to have a requirement of hours like 150.

And probably some type of "pts" system where you need to have 1 benchmark to keep from abuse: 30 quests completed; 30 PKS; 100 hrs in a cabal; 1500 IMM xp; 1 Role Contest Win/Place.

As a complete aside, would be cool if you could also swap out lower tier forms like you mentioned. Whenever I play anything that doesn't have an air or amphibious form, I always wish I could swap out 2 lower-tier forms for 1 lower tier form that has fly or is amphibious. For example, if I went Utility/Offense, perhaps I could give up gazelle and snow badger for shikra.

But yeah that's a lot of coding.
63936, It would work with some form families
Others it would be OP, so don't allow them.
63947, I'm sure a shapeshifters are already too good and would be simply OP if they could choose or earn forms through quests.
Posted by Shapa on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I don't want to see bazilion of tigers/lions, cheetahs and owls/falcons/eagles and all with second regen form.
63950, Clarification.
Posted by Iunna on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Those ideas were specifically for lower tier forms, I realize that second quest idea wasn't as clear. I don't think the current system for end forms needs to change - that's what dice/bones are for.
63953, I've made these request before....
Posted by CD on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

Edge to swap out second/third tiers forms. I also firmly believe major foci should get two second tier forms. The second coming at the 37-39 range. This also creates a little more utility/dynamic. It would also create a greater tactic means in the 30's and make it less dull from 31-42

Also a greater chance lower tier forms would be utilized at hero for various tactics.
63963, RE: I've made these request before....
Posted by Bemused on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
These are all good ideas. The mid 30 to low 40 ranking as a shifter is bland af. And with Umi being such an analyst he can use the 2nd tier swaps as a basis for what people perceive as weak forms and maybe get some more balance happening to T2.
63990, I would rather see "mixed" forms as a master-quest style reward
Posted by Doof on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You know you want a rhino-gator or a falco-walrus.
63991, RE: I would rather see
Posted by Jormyr on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>You know you want a rhino-gator or a falco-walrus.

Yeah, it SOUNDS cool until you end up with a rhino's backside stuck atop stubby alligator legs, or wings & beak on a walrus' bulk w/ no tusks.
63996, Hey, it's a gamble. Sometimes it pays off. :) n/t
Posted by Doof on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
63997, ...reverse centaurs...
nt
63998, so... Basically British. Nt
Posted by laxman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Nt
63999, Bwahahahaha
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Sorry guys :)
63992, My dream was always offense and water to have a half shark-alligator half man
Posted by lurker on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Doctor octagon
64000, I just want Laser Cats. NT
Posted by TMNS on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
NT
64030, A groupmate could wield you as a weapon! NT
Posted by Saagkri on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
64004, RE: As a habitual shapeshifter player:
Posted by SideStrider on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Honestly I don't see the problem with shapeshifters as they are. I too nearly habitually play a shapeshifter. Allowing any type of quest that would allow people to change their forms to a guaranteed form would be a complete waste of time and it would then end with 85% of shapeshifters running around with the same form. Setting said quest with requirements like TM suggested is also a bad idea as stuff like that brings the douche out in most people.

If anything a few new additional final tier forms in each foci would be a breath of fresh air, but that is a quite a bit of work I know.

And Yes I agree, the elemental of surprise is the best part of playing a shapeshifter. Unless I end up with a lemur or something absolutely distasteful to my play style I generally don't roll or spin my forms.

*Editted to clarify that changing to a guaranteed roll would be a bad idea.
63926, Sorry
Removing random factor from shifters is against the class design.

Edit: Oops, wanted to post this under my Umiron account.
63927, Would still be random, and
...could always balance it in other ways.
Perhaps you only get one focus.
63928, RE: Would still be random, and
How would offense+ape be random for major form?
63929, No mixing with offense etc.
And there are at least three top tier primate forms (gorilla, orangutan, howler monkey).

If less than three exist for some form families, yeah, it'd take some work to create some new ones to spice it up, or just exclude that form family from being a choosable option.
63930, Major revamp of forms for the sake of role flavour
I see your point.
63937, Major revamp is something else.
I'm not implying creating all those new forms THEN implementing animal foci. Can implement them for those form families that "fit".

It would be nice to expand some form families as well, but it would not be mandatory for the basic implementation of the feature I'm suggesting.
63931, So foci doesn't matter?
Posted by lasentia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
So I could get a 4th tier offense and a 3rd tier defense if I take bear forms? (Like I get polar bear and grizzly?)

And do I still get to pick two foci to have the same amount of forms?
So can I go offense/animal, so I get general offense forms + forms of the animal?

I take reptile every time (assuming it excludes snakes)
Croc/gator/komodo at final form.

or cat
tiger/lion/cheetah/jag/wildcat.

massive mammal
rhino/pachy/walrus

Only problem I see is it excludes most air/water forms, which does make sense.

I have no idea what forms go where for shifters FYI, so a lot of my info in examples is probably wrong.

63934, Meh
Posted by NoobAgain on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It's against class design when leveling is trivial. It's not against class design when leveling to hero is actually a challenge due to low player numbers. We should accept the "new normal" and adjust, so this discussion is fully valid.
63946, RE: Meh
Right, the only problem is that point of suggestion is RP, not ranking.