Subject: "Dex changes and giant warriors at hero" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #62751
Show all folders

mharlndarnThu 25-Feb-16 03:00 AM
Member since 23rd May 2011
195 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62751, "Dex changes and giant warriors at hero"

And again, I am beating the dead horse. But dex changes almost killed giant warriors at hero. Can you increase the str weight in the combat algorithm? I mean, it can scale with the level but at hero you will get the huge bonus to hit or to damage. Right now you will not outmelee dex builds (with some exception ofcourse).

I know, I know. You will say about heavy weight weapons and etc. But come on..
a) You can't wield have weapons all the time
b) Limited weapon choice.
c) Sometimes you want to have light weapons.
d) The bonus is not that big.
e) Dex builds are not that restricted to weapon weight.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Giant Warriors are fine, Polmier (Aoirse) (Anonymous), 29-Feb-16 05:11 PM, #5
Reply Guess I struggle to see this, Torak, 29-Feb-16 08:42 PM, #6
     Reply Aoirse had crit, not deathblow, KaguMaru, 29-Feb-16 09:13 PM, #7
     Reply RE: Guess I struggle to see this, polmier, 01-Mar-16 08:48 AM, #8
          Reply A few have tried, Torak, 01-Mar-16 01:16 PM, #9
Reply I think berserk change set them back more than dex, laxman, 25-Feb-16 02:18 PM, #4
Reply My understanding, Kstatida, 25-Feb-16 09:08 AM, #1
     Reply Dex warriors are even better but we are talking, mharlndarn, 25-Feb-16 10:44 AM, #2
          Reply Dunno, incognito, 25-Feb-16 11:59 AM, #3

Polmier (Aoirse) (Anonymous)Mon 29-Feb-16 05:11 PM
Charter member
#62809, "Giant Warriors are fine"
In response to Reply #0

Giant warriors are fine. Perhaps against some dex warriors they lose, but giant warriors have lots of other advantages (enlarge, damage output, better wins against none warriors, better cranial, better distance, etc.)

a) You can't wield have weapons all the time

Sure you can with the right gear and legacies

>b) Limited weapon choice.

Dex warriors have limited weapon choice. Not seen to many elf polearms.

>c) Sometimes you want to have light weapons.

You can still wield light weapons as a giant warrior and you will almost never drop them.

>d) The bonus is not that big.

You underestimate being a size bigger, carrying more, better bash, etc.

>e) Dex builds are not that restricted to weapon weight.

They are restricted to carrying weight and not to many dex warriors using 30+ lb weapons.

Plenty of giant warriors have done well. You just need to get creative. Most people play a giant warrior like a dex warrior expecting to dodge things often. Giant warriors will mostly get hit a lot so you must minimize the damage or find other ways to avoid it (pikeman valors on polearm spec) or just out damage your opponent.

TorakMon 29-Feb-16 08:42 PM
Member since 15th Feb 2007
1216 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62810, "Guess I struggle to see this"
In response to Reply #5

Having played through times of the several of the powerhouse dex characters over the last few years, really not seeing why one would make a strength-based character at this point (duergar excluded).

Ckath and Liantae were monsters. A giant hasn't hit the top 50 for warriors in several years (both total PKwins and PK/hour). If you want to narrow this down to 2015, Aoirse is the only giant up there and no offense but it's not that impressive of pk stats... and hitting 100 kills in 538 hours with deathblow isn't earth-shattering no matter what race you are.

When a dex warrior can demolish it's range already, why take something that's better in maybe 10% of fights but worse in the other 90%?

KaguMaruMon 29-Feb-16 09:13 PM
Member since 15th Sep 2012
805 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62811, "Aoirse had crit, not deathblow"
In response to Reply #6

Similar build to Hexugar. Except race. Now compare him to Hexugar...

polmierTue 01-Mar-16 08:48 AM
Member since 21st Aug 2011
267 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62814, "RE: Guess I struggle to see this"
In response to Reply #6

Aoirse was far far from a powerhouse.

I was just making the argument that you could giant warriors work and have fun.

Someone, better than me, will make a giant monster soon.

TorakTue 01-Mar-16 01:16 PM
Member since 15th Feb 2007
1216 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62817, "A few have tried"
In response to Reply #8

Just most of them got tired of getting their ass kicked by dex warriors, neuro, assassins, etc etc.

I've seen some fire giants with some of the best infernal gear in the game get rocked by half-naked dex warriors. It's kind of silly.

laxmanThu 25-Feb-16 02:18 PM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#62755, "I think berserk change set them back more than dex"
In response to Reply #0

10 damage at hero is a lot and many people go without it because of the healing drawback and duration of the skill.

I would boost the side affects and drop the duration of the skill for high are warriors.

KstatidaThu 25-Feb-16 09:08 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62752, "My understanding"
In response to Reply #0

Don't judge str warriors on str/dex comparison. Str warriors are great against many classes who don't have dodge, with their damage output being unmatched.

mharlndarnThu 25-Feb-16 10:44 AM
Member since 23rd May 2011
195 posts
#62753, "Dex warriors are even better but we are talking"
In response to Reply #1

about str weight on hero. Its not enough.

incognitoThu 25-Feb-16 11:59 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62754, "Dunno"
In response to Reply #2

As a Drow ap you can die to a bashing giant that catches you by surprise, or after being dispelled. Same is not true of the dex build, where you'd probably have to choose to stay too long.

Generally speaking you can escape dex builds more easy as almost any build. At least until Stsf factors into the equation,but that's because Stsf is too good. Unpredictable edge was one of my favorites because it stopped me being slaughtered repeatedly by Stsf warriors.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #62751 Previous topic | Next topic