Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectDex changes and giant warriors at hero
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=62751
62751, Dex changes and giant warriors at hero
Posted by mharlndarn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
And again, I am beating the dead horse. But dex changes almost killed giant warriors at hero. Can you increase the str weight in the combat algorithm? I mean, it can scale with the level but at hero you will get the huge bonus to hit or to damage. Right now you will not outmelee dex builds (with some exception ofcourse).

I know, I know. You will say about heavy weight weapons and etc. But come on..
a) You can't wield have weapons all the time
b) Limited weapon choice.
c) Sometimes you want to have light weapons.
d) The bonus is not that big.
e) Dex builds are not that restricted to weapon weight.
62809, Giant Warriors are fine
Posted by Polmier (Aoirse) on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Giant warriors are fine. Perhaps against some dex warriors they lose, but giant warriors have lots of other advantages (enlarge, damage output, better wins against none warriors, better cranial, better distance, etc.)

a) You can't wield have weapons all the time

Sure you can with the right gear and legacies

>b) Limited weapon choice.

Dex warriors have limited weapon choice. Not seen to many elf polearms.

>c) Sometimes you want to have light weapons.

You can still wield light weapons as a giant warrior and you will almost never drop them.

>d) The bonus is not that big.

You underestimate being a size bigger, carrying more, better bash, etc.

>e) Dex builds are not that restricted to weapon weight.

They are restricted to carrying weight and not to many dex warriors using 30+ lb weapons.

Plenty of giant warriors have done well. You just need to get creative. Most people play a giant warrior like a dex warrior expecting to dodge things often. Giant warriors will mostly get hit a lot so you must minimize the damage or find other ways to avoid it (pikeman valors on polearm spec) or just out damage your opponent.

62810, Guess I struggle to see this
Posted by Torak on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Having played through times of the several of the powerhouse dex characters over the last few years, really not seeing why one would make a strength-based character at this point (duergar excluded).

Ckath and Liantae were monsters. A giant hasn't hit the top 50 for warriors in several years (both total PKwins and PK/hour). If you want to narrow this down to 2015, Aoirse is the only giant up there and no offense but it's not that impressive of pk stats... and hitting 100 kills in 538 hours with deathblow isn't earth-shattering no matter what race you are.

When a dex warrior can demolish it's range already, why take something that's better in maybe 10% of fights but worse in the other 90%?
62811, Aoirse had crit, not deathblow
Posted by KaguMaru on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Similar build to Hexugar. Except race. Now compare him to Hexugar...
62814, RE: Guess I struggle to see this
Posted by polmier on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Aoirse was far far from a powerhouse.

I was just making the argument that you could giant warriors work and have fun.

Someone, better than me, will make a giant monster soon.
62817, A few have tried
Posted by Torak on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Just most of them got tired of getting their ass kicked by dex warriors, neuro, assassins, etc etc.

I've seen some fire giants with some of the best infernal gear in the game get rocked by half-naked dex warriors. It's kind of silly.
62755, I think berserk change set them back more than dex
Posted by laxman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
10 damage at hero is a lot and many people go without it because of the healing drawback and duration of the skill.

I would boost the side affects and drop the duration of the skill for high are warriors.
62752, My understanding
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Don't judge str warriors on str/dex comparison. Str warriors are great against many classes who don't have dodge, with their damage output being unmatched.
62753, Dex warriors are even better but we are talking
Posted by mharlndarn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
about str weight on hero. Its not enough.
62754, Dunno
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
As a Drow ap you can die to a bashing giant that catches you by surprise, or after being dispelled. Same is not true of the dex build, where you'd probably have to choose to stay too long.

Generally speaking you can escape dex builds more easy as almost any build. At least until Stsf factors into the equation,but that's because Stsf is too good. Unpredictable edge was one of my favorites because it stopped me being slaughtered repeatedly by Stsf warriors.