Subject: "Borrowed Mythology" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #62199
Show all folders

SPNSun 10-Jan-16 09:43 PM
Member since 24th Oct 2004
352 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#62199, "Borrowed Mythology"

I was just trying to generate a good name and was looking into some mythology, and then a question came to me.

How is it viewed if roles are inspired from mythological sources other than CF story. Such as, if I incorporated portions or concepts of Hindu, Norse, Arabic, or Native American, or any other mythology into a character's role. What if names were changed, but concepts similar?

Just curious, before I borrow from myth too heavily, and drop names like Kali, or Odin, or perhaps much lesser known names. Mostly just curious because there is a whole area that was inspired and only thinly veiled Greek Myth.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

UmironMon 11-Jan-16 11:00 AM
Member since 29th May 2017
1497 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62207, "RE: Borrowed Mythology"
In response to Reply #0

I don't see why this would be a problem. You definitely shouldn't borrow proper nouns (names, places, etc.) or "borrow" anything to the degree that none of the creativity is yours, but you're also not going to get marked down because the careful reader is reminded of Norse mythology while reading your role. That happens all the time.

The most important piece of advice I would give is to make sure you don't try to supersede existing CF lore. Your character is welcome to believe whatever they like, but writing a role that asserts the Easter Bunny is real and therefore able to empower you probably won't go over well. Whatever you come up with (whether it's borrowed or not) should fix within the narrative of CF.

OnewingedangelMon 11-Jan-16 06:17 PM
Member since 22nd Jul 2009
447 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62211, "That reminds me of time.."
In response to Reply #1

I got a gnome healer empowered by the great bean God because he was actually a bean once, and the subject of a transmute experiment gone wrong.

MurphyTue 12-Jan-16 03:28 AM
Member since 30th Dec 2010
1639 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62212, "But Easter Bunny IS real in CF lore."
In response to Reply #1

Didn't he sew a bunny tail upon that X-something the rager?

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #62199 Previous topic | Next topic