Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectBorrowed Mythology
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=62199
62199, Borrowed Mythology
Posted by SPN on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I was just trying to generate a good name and was looking into some mythology, and then a question came to me.

How is it viewed if roles are inspired from mythological sources other than CF story. Such as, if I incorporated portions or concepts of Hindu, Norse, Arabic, or Native American, or any other mythology into a character's role. What if names were changed, but concepts similar?

Just curious, before I borrow from myth too heavily, and drop names like Kali, or Odin, or perhaps much lesser known names. Mostly just curious because there is a whole area that was inspired and only thinly veiled Greek Myth.
62207, RE: Borrowed Mythology
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I don't see why this would be a problem. You definitely shouldn't borrow proper nouns (names, places, etc.) or "borrow" anything to the degree that none of the creativity is yours, but you're also not going to get marked down because the careful reader is reminded of Norse mythology while reading your role. That happens all the time.

The most important piece of advice I would give is to make sure you don't try to supersede existing CF lore. Your character is welcome to believe whatever they like, but writing a role that asserts the Easter Bunny is real and therefore able to empower you probably won't go over well. Whatever you come up with (whether it's borrowed or not) should fix within the narrative of CF.
62211, That reminds me of time..
Posted by Onewingedangel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I got a gnome healer empowered by the great bean God because he was actually a bean once, and the subject of a transmute experiment gone wrong.
62212, But Easter Bunny IS real in CF lore.
Posted by Murphy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Didn't he sew a bunny tail upon that X-something the rager?