Subject: "Orcs" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #61438
Show all folders

demonMon 09-Nov-15 04:57 PM
Member since 24th Sep 2010
78 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#61438, "Orcs"

What happened to this class/race? When you look over their skill list/stats etc, you would think you would see more running a muck! Why is it you never see more than one maybe two orc in hero range? maybe 2-3 in the mids and guessing 3-6 if that in the lower ranks..What can be done to change this? what would you do to make this class/race more appealing/better to play. I'm sure IMMs have better orc numbers, also, why don't you plays orcs? would love to read all your thoughts and ideas/changes!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Orcs are strong, but out of fashion perhaps, Marcus_, 10-Nov-15 07:27 AM, #16
Reply Also, why were orcs removed from cabals?nt, demon, 10-Nov-15 12:08 AM, #12
Reply Because the orcs have clan, incognito, 10-Nov-15 03:22 AM, #13
     Reply RE: Because the orcs have clan, demon, 11-Nov-15 08:44 PM, #18
          Reply RE: Because the orcs have clan, Isildur, 11-Nov-15 10:46 PM, #19
          Reply It's pretty scary for Battle... Not so much for everyo..., Tac, 11-Nov-15 11:43 PM, #20
               Reply Nothing is as deadly to battle as an orc, laxman, 11-Nov-15 11:51 PM, #22
               Reply Mundunugu does fine vs fort, incognito, 12-Nov-15 12:18 AM, #23
                    Reply Mund probably does. Shig-ru.. not so much. Light hurt..., Tac, 12-Nov-15 10:55 AM, #24
          Reply Share that good stuff, laxman, 11-Nov-15 11:46 PM, #21
Reply RE: Orcs, Anonymous1, 09-Nov-15 09:09 PM, #7
Reply Orc / Berserker Stats, Umiron, 09-Nov-15 05:43 PM, #2
Reply RE: Orc / Berserker Stats, Isildur, 09-Nov-15 07:16 PM, #3
     Reply I am sure you wrote the wrong thing..., Destuvius, 09-Nov-15 07:24 PM, #4
     Reply OMG. Thank you for this. Hilarious. nt, Tac, 09-Nov-15 08:41 PM, #5
     Reply That was GOLD JERRY! GOLD! nt, TMNS, 09-Nov-15 10:20 PM, #10
     Reply I laughed so hard at this. nt, Artificial, 09-Nov-15 11:08 PM, #11
     Reply I liked skrugga, incognito, 10-Nov-15 03:38 AM, #14
     Reply RE: Orc / Berserker Stats, Jormyr, 09-Nov-15 09:04 PM, #6
          Reply I have not played one but I bet I could easily do a 100..., laxman, 09-Nov-15 09:12 PM, #9
Reply RE: Orcs, Isildur, 09-Nov-15 05:33 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Chieftain, Anonymous1, 09-Nov-15 09:12 PM, #8
          Reply Chief is very strong, incognito, 10-Nov-15 03:40 AM, #15
          Reply Only as an orctober event NT, Kstatida, 10-Nov-15 07:50 AM, #17

Marcus_Tue 10-Nov-15 07:27 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
681 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61467, "Orcs are strong, but out of fashion perhaps"
In response to Reply #0

I think if someone goes and makes a 2h orc with the pin edge for ass beating purposes, they might see a revival...

demonTue 10-Nov-15 12:08 AM
78 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#61461, "Also, why were orcs removed from cabals?nt"
In response to Reply #0

f

incognitoTue 10-Nov-15 03:22 AM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61464, "Because the orcs have clan"
In response to Reply #12

Also caballed Orc is op. Rager Orc has resist (so they don't die fast) deathblow (berserker is obvious choice) and healing on a stick (skins).

Things like crushing assault and grapple weapon suddenly become very very powerful.

Not to mention that if you go with the right adapt the whole time this is happening you are gaining damroll and you have a second resist layered on top.

Plus you would have hoards of orcs all in the village.

In the right hands orcs are really dangerous already.

demonWed 11-Nov-15 08:44 PM
78 posts
#61487, "RE: Because the orcs have clan"
In response to Reply #13

The "clan" does not even come close to a cabal. Anyone can just walk into the orc village with zero effort, the village is more of a death trap for the orc than it is being a safe haven. I would give up adapt and bloodyskins to join a cabal. Do you know how many people just flee past the first set of guards to check the orc pit lol, the orc village needs to be BUFFED!

IsildurWed 11-Nov-15 10:46 PM
5969 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61489, "RE: Because the orcs have clan"
In response to Reply #18

I would find it a little scary as a non-Orc.

TacWed 11-Nov-15 11:43 PM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
#61490, "It's pretty scary for Battle... Not so much for everyo..."
In response to Reply #19

It makes it one of those weird things where Orcs fight Battle because they can be successful and leave Fort alone because they can't be. Honestly raiding Fort as an orc is brutally painful, but the Big D is totally doable.

Plus all the light vuln stuff means rapies for orc defense, but plague + mv costs etc. mean ragers get the stick.

laxmanWed 11-Nov-15 11:51 PM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#61492, "Nothing is as deadly to battle as an orc"
In response to Reply #20

If you can take the beating they have almost no way to prevent the lag lock. You need to land a lot of deathblows or be a striking sword spec with cursed weapons. Good luck holding onto stuff like that long term.

I remember telling twists giant pole that the second he didn't use his cursed weapon he would be dead. And I found him using a different vuln weapon to hunt someone else and grapple bash bash get all.coins corpse.

incognitoThu 12-Nov-15 12:18 AM
4495 posts
#61493, "Mundunugu does fine vs fort"
In response to Reply #20
Edited on Thu 12-Nov-15 12:18 AM

I'm guessing shig ru probably isn't bad either.
I can't think of a class I've had an easier time killing the watcher with than my mundunugu.

TacThu 12-Nov-15 10:55 AM
2050 posts
#61498, "Mund probably does. Shig-ru.. not so much. Light hurt..."
In response to Reply #23

laxmanWed 11-Nov-15 11:46 PM
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#61491, "Share that good stuff"
In response to Reply #18

Dude you have hide/sneak and like 40 Agro mobs to work with, depending on your level you can keep enslaving them and setup no recall rooms. The Orc village is some serious home field advantage.

Was it like 8 months ago everyone was posting how stupid terrible it was trying to retrieve in the village? That pendulum swings fast.

The real thing is too many people try to play Orc like a sword giant warrior. If you do that you get your face beat in. Play Orc the same way ass a thug thief and you will stack corpses.

Anonymous1Mon 09-Nov-15 09:09 PM
Anonymous
#61452, "RE: Orcs"
In response to Reply #0

Orcs tank with their faces, which makes them unappealing to a lot of people. Their playstyle is fairly unique, so it makes sense they're going to be less common than a basic warrior.

With that said, personally I think they could do with a slight power boost. I could be wrong but it feels like many of their skills have been slightly nerfed across the board over the last few years. I might be talking out of my ass on this one, though.

UmironMon 09-Nov-15 05:43 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1497 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61443, "Orc / Berserker Stats"
In response to Reply #0

Berserker is currently ranked 12/17 in population and account for 5 of the top 100 PK spots (the average being 5.8). Of level 35+ orcs, adaptations are distributed evenly amongst them with no adaptation being unchosen right now.

I think berserkers are pretty neat, but they do require some finesse to play effectively. Their low int probably makes them unattractive to many players (like myself), and while they're quite capable and nuanced, they require a bit more strategy and know-how than other classes and often means if you just want to win fights and don't particularly care what you're playing, a warrior or shapeshifter is probably a better choice. And of course the whole no cabal thing is most likely a hard no for some people.

I'm not sure I'd say something happened to the race/class, and I certainly think they're very viable. I'm happy with the class balance wise, design wise and in terms of the stats we see. I'm not of the opinion that a class has to appeal to a certain percentage of players to be successful as long as the players who don't like it have plenty of options too.

IsildurMon 09-Nov-15 07:16 PM
5969 posts
#61444, "RE: Orc / Berserker Stats"
In response to Reply #2

If you look at the top PK orcs historically, it does seem like Skrugga is under-represented. At least, last time I looked.

DestuviusMon 09-Nov-15 07:24 PM
Member since 08th Oct 2013
1012 posts
#61445, "I am sure you wrote the wrong thing..."
In response to Reply #3

You mean the adaptation that has IMPROVED FLEE isn't the best one?! I think the interwebs may explode....

TacMon 09-Nov-15 08:41 PM
2050 posts
#61446, "OMG. Thank you for this. Hilarious. nt"
In response to Reply #4

TMNSMon 09-Nov-15 10:20 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#61455, "That was GOLD JERRY! GOLD! nt"
In response to Reply #4

Well done D.

ArtificialMon 09-Nov-15 11:08 PM
Member since 22nd Apr 2008
1180 posts
#61458, "I laughed so hard at this. nt"
In response to Reply #4

nt

incognitoTue 10-Nov-15 03:38 AM
4495 posts
#61465, "I liked skrugga"
In response to Reply #4

Although the fact that improved flee couldn't be toggled off back then got me killed a lot. Like fleeing from an undead beholder into the arcanaloth 2 room away and on the other side of a closed door. So good that you guys changed it!

JormyrMon 09-Nov-15 09:04 PM
Member since 31st Dec 2014
422 posts
#61451, "RE: Orc / Berserker Stats"
In response to Reply #3

As a ridiculous habitual orc player, I personally feel that in addition to the comments others have made, one of the biggest issues is that orcs are more or less self-repairing ridiculous glass cannons. Things either go in your favor, or they go horribly wrong. However, when things are in your favor, orcs have more lagging options than nearly any other character, and when things aren't, so long as you can escape, you can recover and get back at it faster than nearly anyone. As Nepenthe once said, people want to be Rambo.

Also, Isildur...I'd personally say Skrugga is entirely designed with the concept of being cowardly and *not dying*, which doesn't directly translate to PKing. The others are better at smashing, they just don't always have survival benefits.

laxmanMon 09-Nov-15 09:12 PM
1867 posts
#61454, "I have not played one but I bet I could easily do a 100..."
In response to Reply #6

Dirty fighting really plays seamlessly in to enhance the best kill landing strats as an Orc. But really adapts are icing on an already really reliable cake once you understand the rythme and flow of the class.

My first Orc died in three rounds constantly at hero. My second was winning fights against Heros at level 35. Knowing how to get into position to drop the lag makes all the difference.

IsildurMon 09-Nov-15 05:33 PM
5969 posts
#61442, "RE: Orcs"
In response to Reply #0

> Why is it you never see more than one maybe two orc in hero range?

Because there's only one Chieftain and the Chieftain gets a large-ish power boost.

The current chieftain is pretty beastly, so clearly it's possible to have PK success with the class. They do tend to die a lot though. Though, even that's not a hard and fast rule- there have been a few orcs that managed to have 90+% PK ratios.

Anonymous1Mon 09-Nov-15 09:12 PM
Anonymous
#61453, "RE: Chieftain"
In response to Reply #1

In the beginning, wasn't the plan to eventually add multiple orc clans? There's some mobile in Ostiliagh, for instance, which is an orc of some non-Grinning-Skulls clan.

I don't think it would be gamebreaking to allow 2-3 competing (or even occasionally cooperating) chiefs of separate clans, with the caveat that they could never be in a group together and maybe would be forced RP-wise to fight orcs in other clans. Or maybe with no drawbacks at all - are we really worried about orcs being overpowered?

incognitoTue 10-Nov-15 03:40 AM
4495 posts
#61466, "Chief is very strong"
In response to Reply #8

A big power boost.

I am not sure there should be multiple ones. Every Orc would probably be chief for a big chunk of its life.

KstatidaTue 10-Nov-15 07:50 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61468, "Only as an orctober event NT"
In response to Reply #8

NT

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #61438 Previous topic | Next topic