Subject: "Dispel mage vs shaman" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #52656
Show all folders

SarienThu 31-Oct-13 08:37 AM
Member since 14th Feb 2009
740 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#52656, "Dispel mage vs shaman"

Hi.

I am curious as to why the difference between the dispel supplication vs the dispel spell? How is it a priest is able to dispel spells AND supplications, but a mage can only dispel spells?

It would make sense to me that a priest would be able to only dispel communes, and I think this would bring shaman dispel "more in-line" with other classes.

Right now as it stands, with shaman dispel not reflecting any benefit from sv vs spells, as well as dispelling BOTH spells and communes....I just opt not to fight Shamans.

Is there a reason Shaman dispel is so utterly vicious in comparison to mage dispel?

I guess the other solution would be to make mage dispel match...

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Dispel mage vs shaman, Daevryn, 31-Oct-13 10:10 PM, #5
Reply Not sure why people are bringing this up now, Torak, 31-Oct-13 04:36 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Not sure why people are bringing this up now, Bemused, 31-Oct-13 05:59 PM, #2
          Reply I don't think it will be changed..., Twist, 31-Oct-13 08:34 PM, #3
               Reply RE: I don't think it will be changed..., Bemused, 31-Oct-13 09:18 PM, #4
                    Reply RE: I don't think it will be changed..., Daevryn, 31-Oct-13 10:11 PM, #6
                    Reply I'd rather like mage dispel brought up., Murphy, 01-Nov-13 12:20 AM, #7
                         Reply Two Things, Destuvius, 01-Nov-13 05:31 AM, #8
                              Reply In the case of the typical shapeshifter, that's true., Murphy, 01-Nov-13 06:15 AM, #9
                              Reply RE: Two Things, Sarien, 01-Nov-13 09:02 AM, #10
                                   Reply Let us also take into account., Zephon, 01-Nov-13 03:34 PM, #12
                                   Reply Mors-Gravis shaman dispel. nt, Artificial, 01-Nov-13 07:32 PM, #14
                                   Reply RE: Two Things, Daevryn, 01-Nov-13 05:35 PM, #13
                    Reply How did rescue get changed...oh wait :), TMNS, 01-Nov-13 02:13 PM, #11

DaevrynThu 31-Oct-13 10:10 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#52669, "RE: Dispel mage vs shaman"
In response to Reply #0

>Is there a reason Shaman dispel is so utterly vicious in
>comparison to mage dispel?

Yes. It's one of the keystone abilities of the shaman class instead of kind of a throwaway ability.

Also, it doesn't get spellcraft, so there's that. Because of spellcraft (conjurers excepted), mage dispel is ridiculously better at the things it CAN dispel.

TorakThu 31-Oct-13 04:36 PM
Member since 15th Feb 2007
1216 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#52664, "Not sure why people are bringing this up now"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Thu 31-Oct-13 04:36 PM

This has been like this for as long as I can remember, and was really one of the few nice things about being a shaman. Then paladins got it in multiple forms... and now there's a phoenix shifter form who got it...

I think people are just in shock that shamans aren't one trick ponies anymore.

BemusedThu 31-Oct-13 05:59 PM
Member since 15th Oct 2013
665 posts
#52666, "RE: Not sure why people are bringing this up now"
In response to Reply #1

>This has been like this for as long as I can remember, and
>was really one of the few nice things about being a shaman.

Just because it's been like this for a long time doesn't make it right (read up on the history of 'rescue'). Sounds like you're playing a shaman Commune dispel is out of whack. It will get fixed eventually. How long we actually have to wait is the question.

TwistThu 31-Oct-13 08:34 PM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#52667, "I don't think it will be changed..."
In response to Reply #2

As Torak mentioned, the dispel commune hasn't been changed as far as I know. Probably not since shamans were introduced, in fact. I've always felt that a shaman was awesome for fighting almost any class that relied on either sanctuary, shields, or buff spells such as those that a transmuter has.

And shamans were the original class to need "bashmen" back in the day. Dispelling someone's protective shield+having a bashman usually meant a pkwin.

You're seeing it more, naturally, because of the shaman revamp (and thereby more shaman chars being played). But I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it to be changed.

And no I'm not playing a shaman currently, nor do I expect to anytime in the near future.

BemusedThu 31-Oct-13 09:18 PM
Member since 15th Oct 2013
665 posts
#52668, "RE: I don't think it will be changed..."
In response to Reply #3

You're right in all your points but it doesn't change the fact that commune dispel is out of whack. People complained for how many years about rescue before a fix was implemented? 10? That's all I'm saying. Eventually it will get to a point where someone sits down and says "Let's tone commune dispel down a bit". But yeah, I won't hold my breath because it could be a decade away.

DaevrynThu 31-Oct-13 10:11 PM
11117 posts
#52670, "RE: I don't think it will be changed..."
In response to Reply #4

> Eventually it will get to a point where someone sits down and says "Let's tone commune dispel down a bit"

I honestly don't see that happening.

MurphyFri 01-Nov-13 12:20 AM
Member since 30th Dec 2010
1639 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#52672, "I'd rather like mage dispel brought up."
In response to Reply #6

It was such as huge letdown when I learned I couldn't dispel anything off a shaman as a shifter.

DestuviusFri 01-Nov-13 05:31 AM
Member since 08th Oct 2013
1012 posts
#52677, "Two Things"
In response to Reply #7

1) You can dispel things off a shaman, just not their supplications. That is very handy in a lot of situations depending on the forms you have and or allies present.

2) Unless you are a double defense shifter, dispel magic on a shaman is probably the last thing you want to do since you should be able to just outright win the fight.

MurphyFri 01-Nov-13 06:15 AM
Member since 30th Dec 2010
1639 posts
#52678, "In the case of the typical shapeshifter, that's true."
In response to Reply #8

Not with the one I played, though, with no forms whatsoever.

Of course, nobody said it should be viable. Just noting that when I was thinking up the build, amongst other things, I counted on dispel actually doing anything. It didn't.

SarienFri 01-Nov-13 09:02 AM
Member since 14th Feb 2009
740 posts
#52679, "RE: Two Things"
In response to Reply #8

Daev,

I think whats not being taken into account in this argument...is the wealth of utility/functionality your shaman revamp just brought to the shaman class.

I would argue that you are 100% right that shaman dispel needed to be the way it is to give them a much needed 'edge' pre-revamp.

The versatility that your revamp just added to the class closed the 'gap' quite significantly from my observations.

I do not think shaman dispel was out of 'whack' with old shamans - hence I've never posted about it

I do think its a bit out of whack on a new double-path poison/whatever shaman...

Old shamans had maledicts - sure...only a few of them had 'good damage' AND a maledict (Wither/Fatigue/Etc)

poison/plague didn't do outright nasty damage

now mr poison path has spammable thief poison success that comes along with NICE damage...

This wasn't the case before...shaman needed that dispel so his hellfire would be 'effective' by stripping an opponents preps..

Now, I've seen logs of these shamans spamming noxious cloud for good damage through sanc, not to mention adding a bunch of arguably extremely nasty debuffs...

Neo shaman != Old shaman, please re-examine dispel.

ZephonFri 01-Nov-13 03:34 PM
Member since 21st Mar 2007
488 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#52684, "Let us also take into account."
In response to Reply #10

The only other class that can dispel a shaman without specific gear (or virtue) is another shaman. (I think a high-level devil will shaman dispel too but you have no control over that). Which makes them the perfect ganking class, imo better than Transmuters. Atleast with a Transmuter they have to dispel your flight for them to trip you, then they have to soften, decalcity. Which takes much longer than a single dispel.

If other classes could dispel their supplications, such as healers or paladins?

I am not arguing that Shaman should not have a decent dispel, it is just with the totally awesome new shaman paths they can #### you up and all they lost is rot, well...some of them.

I like neo shaman from what I have seen. I want to play one but I am a little too invested in my current character and do not want to waste an imm's time just to test it out. When I find time I will try it out.

ArtificialFri 01-Nov-13 07:32 PM
Member since 22nd Apr 2008
1180 posts
#52687, "Mors-Gravis shaman dispel. nt"
In response to Reply #12

nt

DaevrynFri 01-Nov-13 05:31 PM
11117 posts
#52685, "RE: Two Things"
In response to Reply #10
Edited on Fri 01-Nov-13 05:35 PM

Reading this I feel like you think you're telling me something about the class that I don't know.

I think dispel is still fine.

Edit: If you like, lay out a scenario for me in which you think shaman dispel is so great, keeping in mind that unless you're trying to dispel communes, mage dispel is clearly, unambiguously, ridiculously superior.

TMNSFri 01-Nov-13 02:13 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#52683, "How did rescue get changed...oh wait :)"
In response to Reply #4

I'll be your Arolin re: shaman dispel if you want

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #52656 Previous topic | Next topic