Subject: "wiki/helps" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #46113
Show all folders

ScarabaeusWed 27-Jun-12 11:29 AM
Member since 19th Feb 2011
1524 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#46113, "wiki/helps"

In an effort to improve the new player experience (and perhaps bolster that experience for those of you with canes and walkers), I would like to begin expanding the CF help files and wiki information. To include y'all in the process, here's what I would like to hear from the players:

(1) For those of you who are new to the game, what support information do you feel was lacking when you first started playing? Did you know how to use the newbie channel, HELPs, and how to access the forums? Would a first time walkthrough be helpful to new players--perhaps a logged session of someone rolling up a character (with side commentary), finding their guild, dying for the first time, etc.?

(2) What HELP files could be more helpful?

(3) Would a glossary of terms and definitions be helpful? Feel free to reply with useful terms you think should be added to the list (e.g., RBW but not WTF).

That is probably a good starting place; there will certainly be more to come.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: wiki/helps, -flso, 07-Jul-12 09:17 AM, #16
Reply Mud clients, The Heretic, 28-Jun-12 12:03 PM, #13
Reply RE: Mud clients, Scarabaeus, 05-Jul-12 01:12 PM, #14
Reply #1 and #3, Tsunami, 27-Jun-12 03:41 PM, #6
Reply Both of these for sure., Homard, 27-Jun-12 06:22 PM, #9
Reply A list of what skills are critical to practice for a gi..., Theerkla, 27-Jun-12 02:28 PM, #5
Reply good for the wiki, perhaps, Scarabaeus, 27-Jun-12 04:32 PM, #8
Reply I think the CF helpfiles are pretty amazing. The game e..., Alston, 27-Jun-12 01:25 PM, #3
Reply Obscure affect durations, DurNominator, 27-Jun-12 12:23 PM, #2
Reply RE: Obscure affect durations, Scarabaeus, 27-Jun-12 01:52 PM, #4
     Reply RE: Obscure affect durations, Scarabaeus, 27-Jun-12 04:30 PM, #7
          Reply Do you point it out properly for newbies?, DurNominator, 28-Jun-12 12:41 AM, #10
          Reply Or finally go all the way!, laxman, 28-Jun-12 09:16 AM, #11
               Reply bathwater only, Scarabaeus, 28-Jun-12 10:59 AM, #12
Reply Old/former area names, Artificial, 27-Jun-12 11:48 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Old/former area names, Scarabaeus, 05-Jul-12 01:20 PM, #15

-flsoSat 07-Jul-12 09:17 AM
Member since 02nd Oct 2007
296 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#46338, "RE: wiki/helps"
In response to Reply #0

> Would a first time walkthrough be helpful to new players--perhaps a
> logged session of someone rolling up a character (with side
> commentary), finding their guild, dying for the first time, etc.?

This is a great idea, nothing better for new players IMO than showing
them the whole process from start to finish (where finish can be
the player inside his guild in a major city). Helpfiles, Wiki entries
etc are all good but for someone completely new to the game, all this
info can be overwhelming when they just want to quickly check out
the game.

Also, can be of benefit to players without a lot of MUD experience who
would otherwise feel completely lost.

The HereticThu 28-Jun-12 12:03 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
212 posts
#46162, "Mud clients"
In response to Reply #0

Once a player has the basic commands down and can handle scrolling text, the mud client is a must have. It is not optional to play this game. The game becomes way more playable and enjoyable once you have one. It would be awesome if it was made clear that one of the free mud clients was recommended and we provided some instructions and alias files for all the classes. The CF community might be able to come up with something.

ScarabaeusThu 05-Jul-12 01:12 PM
1524 posts
#46320, "RE: Mud clients"
In response to Reply #13

We have actually had such a page for over a year: http://www.carrionfields.net/CFwiki/Clients

We're working on making the the main page a little more friendly to finding information like this.

Players with wiki accounts can feel free to contribute to the client information as well.

TsunamiWed 27-Jun-12 03:41 PM
Member since 25th Mar 2008
1509 posts
#46134, "#1 and #3"
In response to Reply #0

#1. Something explaining the mechanics of switching targets. I'm not even sure I still get all of them, but it certainly wasn't obvious when I first started.

ie. *Use hit to switch targets.
*Target must be engaged in battle.
*Target must be aiming at you. (right?)

#3. ABS. I think ABS is why I created an account here to start with. Just didn't get it. The system and the acronym.

HomardWed 27-Jun-12 06:22 PM
Member since 10th Apr 2010
959 posts
#46152, "Both of these for sure."
In response to Reply #6

"One battle at a time please." can make you want to pull your hair out.

And ABS is completely mystifying if you don't know what it's all about.

TheerklaWed 27-Jun-12 02:28 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1055 posts
#46125, "A list of what skills are critical to practice for a gi..."
In response to Reply #0

With my first warrior, I spammed boneshatter in a pk fight over bash, since I couldn't see any reason I would use a skill that did injures over a skill that did *** DEMOLISHES ***

ScarabaeusWed 27-Jun-12 04:32 PM
1524 posts
#46140, "good for the wiki, perhaps"
In response to Reply #5

So a rough strategy guide detailing things like when you might want to do a lot of damage vs lag an opponent vs something else.

Very reasonable.

AlstonWed 27-Jun-12 01:25 PM
Member since 07th Sep 2011
858 posts
#46117, "I think the CF helpfiles are pretty amazing. The game e..."
In response to Reply #0

I think it would be difficult to improve on.

DurNominatorWed 27-Jun-12 12:23 PM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#46116, "Obscure affect durations"
In response to Reply #0

We still have durations like short time, very short time, medium and long time for affects at low levels. For newer players in particular, it makes the game slightly more challenging to learn.

ScarabaeusWed 27-Jun-12 01:52 PM
1524 posts
#46122, "RE: Obscure affect durations"
In response to Reply #2

If the ranges were defined (as was done with stats), would that be sufficient?

E.g., "for sort of a short while" = 3-4 hours

ScarabaeusWed 27-Jun-12 04:30 PM
1524 posts
#46139, "RE: Obscure affect durations"
In response to Reply #4

Went ahead and updated HELP AFFECTS with more information and a link to HELP TICK.

DurNominatorThu 28-Jun-12 12:41 AM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#46157, "Do you point it out properly for newbies?"
In response to Reply #7

So that they know to read the help file. Personally, I think that this could be included in the newbie tutorial. You could get some nice little affect from an appropriately progged mob in the newbie academy, with an echo that instructs you on affects and affect durations and points you to the helpfile for details.

laxmanThu 28-Jun-12 09:16 AM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#46160, "Or finally go all the way!"
In response to Reply #7

How about we just publish all stats from day 1? The game is 99% vets, having to power to level 15 just to see my hit/dam or to 20 to see exactly how long an effect lasts is just... silly.

ScarabaeusThu 28-Jun-12 10:59 AM
1524 posts
#46161, "bathwater only"
In response to Reply #11

I think it still makes sense. The rationale that at lower levels you are less experienced at discerning your combat status with precision is basically sound.

If anyone power levels to 15 or 20 just to see these things with more precision, I would be surprised.

ArtificialWed 27-Jun-12 11:47 AM
Member since 22nd Apr 2008
1180 posts
#46114, "Old/former area names"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Wed 27-Jun-12 11:48 AM

It might be of some small help for newbies if they know what areas used to be called (eryn galen, arboria, chessmasters, etc) incase someone uses the old name by accident.

edit: perhaps if I do 'help arboria' it brings up eil sheira now.

ScarabaeusThu 05-Jul-12 01:20 PM
1524 posts
#46321, "RE: Old/former area names"
In response to Reply #1

Send me a list of ones you are aware of and I'll add this if appropriate. (We had a post recently about how to handle this sort of thing IC--if it fits, I'll add it.)

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #46113 Previous topic | Next topic