Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectwiki/helps
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=46113
46113, wiki/helps
Posted by Scarabaeus on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
In an effort to improve the new player experience (and perhaps bolster that experience for those of you with canes and walkers), I would like to begin expanding the CF help files and wiki information. To include y'all in the process, here's what I would like to hear from the players:

(1) For those of you who are new to the game, what support information do you feel was lacking when you first started playing? Did you know how to use the newbie channel, HELPs, and how to access the forums? Would a first time walkthrough be helpful to new players--perhaps a logged session of someone rolling up a character (with side commentary), finding their guild, dying for the first time, etc.?

(2) What HELP files could be more helpful?

(3) Would a glossary of terms and definitions be helpful? Feel free to reply with useful terms you think should be added to the list (e.g., RBW but not WTF).

That is probably a good starting place; there will certainly be more to come.
46338, RE: wiki/helps
Posted by -flso on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
> Would a first time walkthrough be helpful to new players--perhaps a
> logged session of someone rolling up a character (with side
> commentary), finding their guild, dying for the first time, etc.?

This is a great idea, nothing better for new players IMO than showing
them the whole process from start to finish (where finish can be
the player inside his guild in a major city). Helpfiles, Wiki entries
etc are all good but for someone completely new to the game, all this
info can be overwhelming when they just want to quickly check out
the game.

Also, can be of benefit to players without a lot of MUD experience who
would otherwise feel completely lost.
46162, Mud clients
Posted by The Heretic on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Once a player has the basic commands down and can handle scrolling text, the mud client is a must have. It is not optional to play this game. The game becomes way more playable and enjoyable once you have one. It would be awesome if it was made clear that one of the free mud clients was recommended and we provided some instructions and alias files for all the classes. The CF community might be able to come up with something.
46320, RE: Mud clients
We have actually had such a page for over a year: http://www.carrionfields.net/CFwiki/Clients

We're working on making the the main page a little more friendly to finding information like this.

Players with wiki accounts can feel free to contribute to the client information as well.
46134, #1 and #3
Posted by Tsunami on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
#1. Something explaining the mechanics of switching targets. I'm not even sure I still get all of them, but it certainly wasn't obvious when I first started.

ie. *Use hit to switch targets.
*Target must be engaged in battle.
*Target must be aiming at you. (right?)

#3. ABS. I think ABS is why I created an account here to start with. Just didn't get it. The system and the acronym.
46152, Both of these for sure.
Posted by Homard on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
"One battle at a time please." can make you want to pull your hair out.

And ABS is completely mystifying if you don't know what it's all about.
46125, A list of what skills are critical to practice for a given class and why
Posted by Theerkla on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
With my first warrior, I spammed boneshatter in a pk fight over bash, since I couldn't see any reason I would use a skill that did injures over a skill that did *** DEMOLISHES ***
46140, good for the wiki, perhaps
So a rough strategy guide detailing things like when you might want to do a lot of damage vs lag an opponent vs something else.

Very reasonable.
46117, I think the CF helpfiles are pretty amazing. The game even prompts you during typos. (Thanks Valg)
Posted by Alston on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I think it would be difficult to improve on.
46116, Obscure affect durations
Posted by DurNominator on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
We still have durations like short time, very short time, medium and long time for affects at low levels. For newer players in particular, it makes the game slightly more challenging to learn.
46122, RE: Obscure affect durations
If the ranges were defined (as was done with stats), would that be sufficient?

E.g., "for sort of a short while" = 3-4 hours
46139, RE: Obscure affect durations
Went ahead and updated HELP AFFECTS with more information and a link to HELP TICK.
46157, Do you point it out properly for newbies?
Posted by DurNominator on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
So that they know to read the help file. Personally, I think that this could be included in the newbie tutorial. You could get some nice little affect from an appropriately progged mob in the newbie academy, with an echo that instructs you on affects and affect durations and points you to the helpfile for details.
46160, Or finally go all the way!
Posted by laxman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
How about we just publish all stats from day 1? The game is 99% vets, having to power to level 15 just to see my hit/dam or to 20 to see exactly how long an effect lasts is just... silly.
46161, bathwater only
I think it still makes sense. The rationale that at lower levels you are less experienced at discerning your combat status with precision is basically sound.

If anyone power levels to 15 or 20 just to see these things with more precision, I would be surprised.
46114, Old/former area names
Posted by Artificial on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It might be of some small help for newbies if they know what areas used to be called (eryn galen, arboria, chessmasters, etc) incase someone uses the old name by accident.

edit: perhaps if I do 'help arboria' it brings up eil sheira now.
46321, RE: Old/former area names
Send me a list of ones you are aware of and I'll add this if appropriate. (We had a post recently about how to handle this sort of thing IC--if it fits, I'll add it.)