Subject: "Class specific forums?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #26969
Show all folders

ZulghinlourSat 26-Sep-09 05:51 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
9792 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26969, "Class specific forums?"

Is this something people would be interested in? I was kicking this idea around (as the shapeshifter stuff took hold, and continued on) of having class specific forums.

Or is having hte gameplay/ask an imm forums enough for you?

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Thumbs down please., Stunna, 03-Oct-09 08:50 AM, #25
Reply My suggestion would be to add flagging, Quixotic, 03-Oct-09 10:08 AM, #26
     Reply Agree with this. Add tags. mt, Cerunnir, 03-Oct-09 11:14 AM, #27
Reply I'd like to see this., Minyar, 02-Oct-09 03:10 PM, #24
Reply RE: Class specific forums?, Splntrd, 01-Oct-09 08:48 AM, #23
Reply Yes, that would be quite nice. Makes things easier to f..., Amberion, 28-Sep-09 10:05 AM, #21
Reply More than enough n/t, Dervish, 27-Sep-09 01:22 AM, #17
Reply Yep, Exit, 26-Sep-09 09:24 PM, #13
Reply I don't think it's needed., Java, 26-Sep-09 05:55 PM, #1
     Reply But..., Artificial, 26-Sep-09 06:14 PM, #2
          Reply RE: But..., Zulghinlour, 26-Sep-09 06:20 PM, #3
          Reply Be nice to see a faq stickied on each, CharlieWaffles, 26-Sep-09 06:40 PM, #4
          Reply If you made it public, then yes., Susubienko, 26-Sep-09 06:52 PM, #5
          Reply This! Cosign, RandomThinker, 27-Sep-09 11:16 AM, #19
               Reply Cosign! nt, Cerunnir, 27-Sep-09 02:04 PM, #20
          Reply RE: But..., Isildur, 26-Sep-09 08:07 PM, #6
          Reply That was my thought. There's already too many., Java, 26-Sep-09 08:29 PM, #8
               Reply RE: That was my thought. There's already too many., Isildur, 26-Sep-09 08:43 PM, #9
               Reply Ditto., wareagle, 26-Sep-09 09:08 PM, #10
               Reply RE: That was my thought. There's already too many., Zen, 30-Sep-09 10:57 AM, #22
          Reply If you do this you should make it like the battlefield, TheDude, 26-Sep-09 08:18 PM, #7
               Reply Heheh, Zulghinlour, 26-Sep-09 09:19 PM, #11
                    Reply Actually.., Java, 26-Sep-09 09:21 PM, #12
                    Reply This is a good idea., TheDude, 26-Sep-09 10:31 PM, #15
                    Reply RE: Heheh, Isildur, 26-Sep-09 10:29 PM, #14
                         Reply Like how the berserker class page is set up. That's pre..., TheDude, 26-Sep-09 10:33 PM, #16
          Reply I agree, Rodriguez, 27-Sep-09 03:56 AM, #18

StunnaSat 03-Oct-09 08:50 AM
1048 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#27016, "Thumbs down please."
In response to Reply #0

I think it spreads the attention of helpers too thin - I'm good with what we've got.

QuixoticSat 03-Oct-09 10:08 AM
Member since 09th Feb 2006
830 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27017, "My suggestion would be to add flagging"
In response to Reply #25
Edited on Sat 03-Oct-09 10:08 AM

Any existing thread could have predetermined flags or keywords attached to it by anyone (not just imms) logged into the system.

The goal would be so that searching the archives could dig up more relevant results.

Stunna made a good point in that the currently active staff is spread thin already. Adding more forums to moderate would eat up more resources.

CerunnirSat 03-Oct-09 11:14 AM
Member since 21st Oct 2003
294 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#27018, "Agree with this. Add tags. mt"
In response to Reply #26

af

MinyarFri 02-Oct-09 03:10 PM
504 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27015, "I'd like to see this."
In response to Reply #0

I would like to see class specific things because unless you read these forums constantly, which I don't, you could certainly miss things. I think it would be cool to have the ability to post questions to others and imms in these forums and I'd like it to be unprotected so I don't have to try and register for every char I have. One of the main things I had about the changes to dios. So...now I rarely post on someone's death threads or anything else because I don't want my character being given away.

SplntrdThu 01-Oct-09 08:45 AM
Member since 08th Feb 2004
1096 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27014, "RE: Class specific forums?"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Thu 01-Oct-09 08:48 AM

I think a FAQ board is more along the lines of what you need. It'd be an easy way to access concise, class-specific, compact bundles of information. Plus, it might be cool if there were some Imm-written FAQs sprinkled in alongside the numerous player-written ones already out there.

Splntrd

AmberionMon 28-Sep-09 10:05 AM
Member since 06th Jun 2007
945 posts
#27001, "Yes, that would be quite nice. Makes things easier to f..."
In response to Reply #0

n/t

Always shoot first and then call whatever you hit the target.

DervishSun 27-Sep-09 01:22 AM
Member since 11th Oct 2003
617 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ
#26987, "More than enough n/t"
In response to Reply #0

nt

ExitSat 26-Sep-09 09:24 PM
121 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26982, "Yep"
In response to Reply #0

I vote yes as well as an update to the Classes link on the left nav to include two additional columns - one hotlinking to that Classes FAQ and the other linking to the sub-forum main page. Would be very user-friendly for visitors from the MUD aggregators browsing the classes to be able to jump to FAQs and logs of fight for the classes they want to check out.

JavaSat 26-Sep-09 05:55 PM
Member since 07th Apr 2003
1055 posts
#26970, "I don't think it's needed."
In response to Reply #0

I mean, it isn't as if class-specific questions are so common that they're overwhelming the gameplay/ask an imm forums as it is.

The only reason the shapeshifter forum was needed at the time, was due to all the crazy updates that was going on at the time.

ArtificialSat 26-Sep-09 06:14 PM
Member since 22nd Apr 2008
1180 posts
#26971, "But..."
In response to Reply #1

People may feel more comfortable asking their questions and bringing up their discussions in their specific class forum.

I dont think it could hurt, and could be a good tool to limit the amount of re-asking.

ZulghinlourSat 26-Sep-09 06:20 PM
9792 posts
#26972, "RE: But..."
In response to Reply #2

>People may feel more comfortable asking their questions and
>bringing up their discussions in their specific class forum.
>
>I dont think it could hurt, and could be a good tool to limit
>the amount of re-asking.

That was one reason I had thought about it...in theory it should all pertain to the class you are playing and a simple place to go look for information instead of relying on search & wading through all that other stuff.

CharlieWafflesSat 26-Sep-09 06:40 PM
Member since 05th Sep 2009
42 posts
#26973, "Be nice to see a faq stickied on each"
In response to Reply #3

Basic stuff that get's asked over and over.

SusubienkoSat 26-Sep-09 06:52 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
113 posts
#26974, "If you made it public, then yes."
In response to Reply #3

It would be a good place to ask questions with current characters.

RandomThinkerSun 27-Sep-09 11:16 AM
Member since 25th Jul 2005
30 posts
#26989, "This! Cosign"
In response to Reply #5

So many times I'm like, damn, I'd sure like immortal input on x, but if I post on officials it will out me. I would love public class discussion forums.

CerunnirSun 27-Sep-09 02:04 PM
Member since 21st Oct 2003
294 posts
#26990, "Cosign! nt"
In response to Reply #19

df

IsildurSat 26-Sep-09 08:07 PM
5969 posts
#26975, "RE: But..."
In response to Reply #3

I'm not sure I want to check ~12 different forums just to get all the new posts.

JavaSat 26-Sep-09 08:29 PM
1055 posts
#26977, "That was my thought. There's already too many."
In response to Reply #6

I mean, we have Gameplay, Q&A, Ask an Imm which are all largely indistinguishable. Plus, almost every Imm has their own forum.

Realistically, we could probably due with half as many forums just fine.

But I can see the argument if they want to keep such discussions easily available for people to browse long after the thread is active, that would make sense. But the way the game always changes, it seems like information can become obsolete pretty quick.

IsildurSat 26-Sep-09 08:43 PM
5969 posts
#26978, "RE: That was my thought. There's already too many."
In response to Reply #8

I usually only read Gameplay, Ask an Imm and the Battlefield.

wareagleSat 26-Sep-09 09:08 PM
Member since 19th Aug 2007
201 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26979, "Ditto."
In response to Reply #9

I could argue to consolidate Ask An IMM and Gameplay.

ZenWed 30-Sep-09 10:57 AM
Member since 26th Sep 2007
61 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27013, "RE: That was my thought. There's already too many."
In response to Reply #8

*I mean, we have Gameplay, Q&A, Ask an Imm which are all largely indistinguishable*

Seconded on this, these have always felt redundant to me.

Zz

TheDudeSat 26-Sep-09 08:17 PM
Member since 20th Sep 2005
283 posts
#26976, "If you do this you should make it like the battlefield"
In response to Reply #3
Edited on Sat 26-Sep-09 08:18 PM

That is-- one link for classes with sub-forums for the individual classes on the second page.

Hey Zulg- I do find this a funny suggestion coming from you though-- considering how you were complaining on our CF-Travian forums way back when that there was just too much #### to look through when we wanted to add more sections

ZulghinlourSat 26-Sep-09 09:19 PM
9792 posts
#26980, "Heheh"
In response to Reply #7

And that's why I'm asking the folks who actually read the forums. I personally think it's a bit of overkill, but I also see some value in a place for someone to go look and get a sense for the class all in one spot. People could FAQ it up if they want, or just have the typical conversations we have today on gameplay/ask an imm in those specific places.

JavaSat 26-Sep-09 09:21 PM
1055 posts
#26981, "Actually.."
In response to Reply #11

Maybe under the Newbie Q&A forum, have a sub-forum for class FAQs to be created/updated by players? Just one extra forum, with one thread for each class. Seems like the best way to accomplish what you want, without having an absurd number of forums.

TheDudeSat 26-Sep-09 10:30 PM
283 posts
#26985, "This is a good idea."
In response to Reply #12
Edited on Sat 26-Sep-09 10:31 PM

Having it be more of a FAQ-ish type forum rather than a "why do evil conjurers get the shaft" or "Bards are overpowered" type of gameplay/ask immortal thing we see so often on those boards.

I'm always for more information though, I know that when I was a newbie I searched through dios like crack for whatever class I started playing at the time. It would be really cool to have something "more officially" backed by the imms for new players to sift through.

IsildurSat 26-Sep-09 10:29 PM
5969 posts
#26984, "RE: Heheh"
In response to Reply #11

Know what I'd really really like instead of new forums?

Hyperlinks in the help files. Like when you look at the help file for a class's edges, if each one were linked to the help page for that particular edge.

Etc.

(Yeah, I realize it's a lot of work.)

TheDudeSat 26-Sep-09 10:32 PM
283 posts
#26986, "Like how the berserker class page is set up. That's pre..."
In response to Reply #14
Edited on Sat 26-Sep-09 10:33 PM

nnt

RodriguezSun 27-Sep-09 03:56 AM
Member since 30th Jan 2005
367 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ
#26988, "I agree"
In response to Reply #2

At least I depend mostly on the "read new" button so it would be a good idea from my point of view.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #26969 Previous topic | Next topic