Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectClass specific forums?
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=26969
26969, Class specific forums?
Posted by Zulghinlour on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Is this something people would be interested in? I was kicking this idea around (as the shapeshifter stuff took hold, and continued on) of having class specific forums.

Or is having hte gameplay/ask an imm forums enough for you?
27016, Thumbs down please.
Posted by Stunna on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I think it spreads the attention of helpers too thin - I'm good with what we've got.
27017, My suggestion would be to add flagging
Posted by Quixotic on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Any existing thread could have predetermined flags or keywords attached to it by anyone (not just imms) logged into the system.

The goal would be so that searching the archives could dig up more relevant results.

Stunna made a good point in that the currently active staff is spread thin already. Adding more forums to moderate would eat up more resources.
27018, Agree with this. Add tags. mt
Posted by Cerunnir on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
af
27015, I'd like to see this.
Posted by Minyar on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I would like to see class specific things because unless you read these forums constantly, which I don't, you could certainly miss things. I think it would be cool to have the ability to post questions to others and imms in these forums and I'd like it to be unprotected so I don't have to try and register for every char I have. One of the main things I had about the changes to dios. So...now I rarely post on someone's death threads or anything else because I don't want my character being given away.
27014, RE: Class specific forums?
Posted by Splntrd on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I think a FAQ board is more along the lines of what you need. It'd be an easy way to access concise, class-specific, compact bundles of information. Plus, it might be cool if there were some Imm-written FAQs sprinkled in alongside the numerous player-written ones already out there.
27001, Yes, that would be quite nice. Makes things easier to find when looking for them! :D n/t
Posted by Amberion on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
n/t
26987, More than enough n/t
Posted by Dervish on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
26982, Yep
Posted by Exit on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I vote yes as well as an update to the Classes link on the left nav to include two additional columns - one hotlinking to that Classes FAQ and the other linking to the sub-forum main page. Would be very user-friendly for visitors from the MUD aggregators browsing the classes to be able to jump to FAQs and logs of fight for the classes they want to check out.
26970, I don't think it's needed.
Posted by Java on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I mean, it isn't as if class-specific questions are so common that they're overwhelming the gameplay/ask an imm forums as it is.

The only reason the shapeshifter forum was needed at the time, was due to all the crazy updates that was going on at the time.
26971, But...
Posted by Artificial on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
People may feel more comfortable asking their questions and bringing up their discussions in their specific class forum.

I dont think it could hurt, and could be a good tool to limit the amount of re-asking.
26972, RE: But...
>People may feel more comfortable asking their questions and
>bringing up their discussions in their specific class forum.
>
>I dont think it could hurt, and could be a good tool to limit
>the amount of re-asking.

That was one reason I had thought about it...in theory it should all pertain to the class you are playing and a simple place to go look for information instead of relying on search & wading through all that other stuff.
26973, Be nice to see a faq stickied on each
Posted by CharlieWaffles on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Basic stuff that get's asked over and over.
26974, If you made it public, then yes.
Posted by Susubienko on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It would be a good place to ask questions with current characters.
26989, This! Cosign
Posted by RandomThinker on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
So many times I'm like, damn, I'd sure like immortal input on x, but if I post on officials it will out me. I would love public class discussion forums.
26990, Cosign! nt
Posted by Cerunnir on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
df
26975, RE: But...
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I'm not sure I want to check ~12 different forums just to get all the new posts.
26977, That was my thought. There's already too many.
I mean, we have Gameplay, Q&A, Ask an Imm which are all largely indistinguishable. Plus, almost every Imm has their own forum.

Realistically, we could probably due with half as many forums just fine.

But I can see the argument if they want to keep such discussions easily available for people to browse long after the thread is active, that would make sense. But the way the game always changes, it seems like information can become obsolete pretty quick.
26978, RE: That was my thought. There's already too many.
I usually only read Gameplay, Ask an Imm and the Battlefield.
26979, Ditto.
Posted by wareagle on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I could argue to consolidate Ask An IMM and Gameplay.
27013, RE: That was my thought. There's already too many.
Posted by Zen on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
*I mean, we have Gameplay, Q&A, Ask an Imm which are all largely indistinguishable*

Seconded on this, these have always felt redundant to me.

Zz
26976, If you do this you should make it like the battlefield
Posted by TheDude on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
That is-- one link for classes with sub-forums for the individual classes on the second page.

Hey Zulg- I do find this a funny suggestion coming from you though-- considering how you were complaining on our CF-Travian forums way back when that there was just too much #### to look through when we wanted to add more sections ;)
26980, Heheh
And that's why I'm asking the folks who actually read the forums. I personally think it's a bit of overkill, but I also see some value in a place for someone to go look and get a sense for the class all in one spot. People could FAQ it up if they want, or just have the typical conversations we have today on gameplay/ask an imm in those specific places.
26981, Actually..
Maybe under the Newbie Q&A forum, have a sub-forum for class FAQs to be created/updated by players? Just one extra forum, with one thread for each class. Seems like the best way to accomplish what you want, without having an absurd number of forums.
26985, This is a good idea.
Having it be more of a FAQ-ish type forum rather than a "why do evil conjurers get the shaft" or "Bards are overpowered" type of gameplay/ask immortal thing we see so often on those boards.

I'm always for more information though, I know that when I was a newbie I searched through dios like crack for whatever class I started playing at the time. It would be really cool to have something "more officially" backed by the imms for new players to sift through.
26984, RE: Heheh
Know what I'd really really like instead of new forums?

Hyperlinks in the help files. Like when you look at the help file for a class's edges, if each one were linked to the help page for that particular edge.

Etc.

(Yeah, I realize it's a lot of work.)
26986, Like how the berserker class page is set up. That's pretty cool. n/t.
nnt
26988, I agree
Posted by Rodriguez on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
At least I depend mostly on the "read new" button so it would be a good idea from my point of view.