Subject: "New Races!" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #21228
Show all folders

PatickWed 30-Apr-08 10:28 PM
Member since 17th Oct 2007
134 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#21228, "New Races!"

I was thinking its about time some new races or race was introduced to be played by players. Maybe some trolls, or goblins. Maybe some lizard like creatures. something new to spice up what everyone is getting use to.

Alpha-Q

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply I always thought a goodly underground race would be coo..., Dragomir, 01-May-08 10:20 AM, #5
Reply RE: New Races!, Zesam, 30-Apr-08 11:40 PM, #3
Reply I'd like to see two., GinGa, 30-Apr-08 10:34 PM, #1
     Reply RE: I'd like to see two., Patick, 30-Apr-08 10:42 PM, #2
          Reply This is sort of the problem., Valguarnera, 01-May-08 06:40 AM, #4
               Reply RE: This is sort of the problem., Patick, 01-May-08 05:14 PM, #6
               Reply Aren't K'sra/S'zeh lizard-like?, WildGirl, 02-May-08 05:20 PM, #7

DragomirThu 01-May-08 10:20 AM
Member since 09th Mar 2006
220 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#21242, "I always thought a goodly underground race would be coo..."
In response to Reply #0

Maybe have Svirf miners exploring the underdark come apon a previously never before known civilization under Seantryn Modan. They have always decided to stay hidden but now believe it is time they revealed themselves and take a more active role in the lands. I could come up with a great way to start off their coming into the lands to. Sending out scouts (NPCs) that come out and randomly strike at evil aligned PCs. whispers of these attacks and who these people all are, where do they come from, ect. I could keep going... but you get the idea. Don't even need the Svirfs to find them actually that way.

ZesamWed 30-Apr-08 11:40 PM
Member since 04th Jun 2007
48 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#21232, "RE: New Races!"
In response to Reply #0

This was discussed at length not too long ago. Basically for there to be a new race in CF: it needs to have a good foundation within the game already and not be another race in a new skin (orcs and trolls, pretty similar).

http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=8&topic_id=10059&mesg_id=10059&listing_type=search

GinGaWed 30-Apr-08 10:34 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
996 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#21229, "I'd like to see two."
In response to Reply #0

Firstly, Jaettes. They're trolly things that'd fit nicely, although they are admittedly like minotaurs in that they are a semi-slave race to a greater society. A shame most of the cool unique races are inherently evil too.

Second - Saurians. Difficult to impliment rp wise, but entirely possible with their great backstory-age and prominent heros like Sz'sra, Ssithra and the supposed Tora'sra all existing outside of their current society. (as well as the sz'weh)

PatickWed 30-Apr-08 10:42 PM
134 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#21230, "RE: I'd like to see two."
In response to Reply #1

I was thinking of something more like the

Slith, Lizard like creatures who specialize in either close combat, or Shaman , Maybe decent Int decent wis lower str than a mino higher dex though. lower con?

Alpha-Q

ValguarneraThu 01-May-08 06:40 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#21241, "This is sort of the problem."
In response to Reply #2

Slith, Lizard like creatures who specialize in either close combat, or Shaman , Maybe decent Int decent wis lower str than a mino higher dex though. lower con?

You're thinking of races as a pile of stats. You didn't mention:

1) There are no sliths in Thera.
2) There aren't any hometowns that make much sense for them.
3) How this would be any different from playing a human with slightly different stats.

Read the thread Zesam cited above. Adding a PC race isn't hard if all you have to do is pick stats-- witness the various games that advertise "75 playable races!" because that's all they did. The roleplay support needed for a race is the hard part.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

PatickThu 01-May-08 05:14 PM
134 posts
#21245, "RE: This is sort of the problem."
In response to Reply #4

The slith would come from the underground like was mentioned as a good background, with miners falling apon them.

Alpha-Q

WildGirlFri 02-May-08 05:20 PM
Member since 16th Sep 2004
250 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#21268, "Aren't K'sra/S'zeh lizard-like?"
In response to Reply #4

They've already got hunters (rangers), healers, warriors, and shaman established too.

Personally, I thought a coverall race-type of "exotic" would be interesting. Something that can be chosen and rp'd, the stats are random, the descriptions are key, and has a few of the basic class types. Caveat would be that race "exotic" can't speak the common tongue (assuming they might have one).

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #21228 Previous topic | Next topic