Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectNew Races!
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=21228
21228, New Races!
Posted by Patick on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I was thinking its about time some new races or race was introduced to be played by players. Maybe some trolls, or goblins. Maybe some lizard like creatures. something new to spice up what everyone is getting use to.
21242, I always thought a goodly underground race would be coo...
Posted by Dragomir on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Maybe have Svirf miners exploring the underdark come apon a previously never before known civilization under Seantryn Modan. They have always decided to stay hidden but now believe it is time they revealed themselves and take a more active role in the lands. I could come up with a great way to start off their coming into the lands to. Sending out scouts (NPCs) that come out and randomly strike at evil aligned PCs. whispers of these attacks and who these people all are, where do they come from, ect. I could keep going... but you get the idea. Don't even need the Svirfs to find them actually that way.
21232, RE: New Races!
Posted by Zesam on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
This was discussed at length not too long ago. Basically for there to be a new race in CF: it needs to have a good foundation within the game already and not be another race in a new skin (orcs and trolls, pretty similar).

http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=8&topic_id=10059&mesg_id=10059&listing_type=search
21229, I'd like to see two.
Posted by GinGa on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Firstly, Jaettes. They're trolly things that'd fit nicely, although they are admittedly like minotaurs in that they are a semi-slave race to a greater society. A shame most of the cool unique races are inherently evil too.

Second - Saurians. Difficult to impliment rp wise, but entirely possible with their great backstory-age and prominent heros like Sz'sra, Ssithra and the supposed Tora'sra all existing outside of their current society. (as well as the sz'weh)
21230, RE: I'd like to see two.
I was thinking of something more like the

Slith, Lizard like creatures who specialize in either close combat, or Shaman , Maybe decent Int decent wis lower str than a mino higher dex though. lower con?
21241, This is sort of the problem.
Posted by Valguarnera on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Slith, Lizard like creatures who specialize in either close combat, or Shaman , Maybe decent Int decent wis lower str than a mino higher dex though. lower con?

You're thinking of races as a pile of stats. You didn't mention:

1) There are no sliths in Thera.
2) There aren't any hometowns that make much sense for them.
3) How this would be any different from playing a human with slightly different stats.

Read the thread Zesam cited above. Adding a PC race isn't hard if all you have to do is pick stats-- witness the various games that advertise "75 playable races!" because that's all they did. The roleplay support needed for a race is the hard part.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com
21245, RE: This is sort of the problem.
The slith would come from the underground like was mentioned as a good background, with miners falling apon them.
21268, Aren't K'sra/S'zeh lizard-like?
Posted by WildGirl on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
They've already got hunters (rangers), healers, warriors, and shaman established too.

Personally, I thought a coverall race-type of "exotic" would be interesting. Something that can be chosen and rp'd, the stats are random, the descriptions are key, and has a few of the basic class types. Caveat would be that race "exotic" can't speak the common tongue (assuming they might have one).