Subject: "Wis and specs" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #15193
Show all folders

Pro (inactive user)Mon 13-Nov-06 12:07 AM
Charter member

Are their any specs that use Wisdom for bonuses/penalties?

Gnomes getting any love at all?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Wis and specs, Daevryn, 13-Nov-06 08:48 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Wis and specs, Isildur, 13-Nov-06 10:55 PM, #2
          Reply RE: Wis and specs, Daevryn, 13-Nov-06 11:29 PM, #3
               Reply RE: Wis and specs, Isildur, 14-Nov-06 10:18 AM, #4
               Reply I always read that as Wis... not Int..., Saith, 16-Nov-06 10:12 AM, #8
                    Reply RE: I always read that as Wis... not Int..., Isildur, 16-Nov-06 10:18 AM, #9
                    Reply I took One With Shadows as a Svirfnebli, trh, 05-Dec-06 07:01 PM, #10
               Reply RE: Wis and specs, Elerosse, 14-Nov-06 01:54 PM, #5
                    Reply RE: Wis and specs, Daevryn, 14-Nov-06 04:03 PM, #6
                         Reply RE: Wis and specs, Elerosse, 15-Nov-06 02:20 AM, #7

DaevrynMon 13-Nov-06 08:48 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#15195, "RE: Wis and specs"
In response to Reply #0

I can't think of any. Legacies are a different story.

IsildurMon 13-Nov-06 10:55 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#15196, "RE: Wis and specs"
In response to Reply #1

This makes me sad. Maybe I'm just being forgetful, but after an initial read through the legacy helpfiles, I don't recall any that screamed "wisdom!". If there are some that key off wisdom, I'm not sure how the legacy-picker is supposed to figure that out.

DaevrynMon 13-Nov-06 11:29 PM
11117 posts
#15197, "RE: Wis and specs"
In response to Reply #2

I'd think that some would seem to lend towards smarter/clever/aware characters, which in some cases is int, some wisdom, some a combination of both!

This is slightly obfuscated in play by the fact that races that tend to have above-average intelligences also tend to have above-average wisdoms, and much the same for low and low.

IsildurTue 14-Nov-06 10:18 AM
5969 posts
#15198, "RE: Wis and specs"
In response to Reply #3

Well, yeah, several of them seem to favor smarter characters, but I just assumed the helpfile was referring to intelligence or else it would have mentioned wisdom directly.

Flow of Shadows, Incarnadine Wave and Surrounding the Sunrise all mention elves directly, but don't explicitly mention intelligence.

One With Shadows is more explicit: "clever as they were strong". "Clever", though, doesn't suggest wisdom. Same for Place of the Raging River: "an intensity of thought that few ever master". Also Ward of Blades: "devoted their eye and mind".

Now, Calming the Tempest, Forsaken Thoughts and Fortress of the Spirit all seem like they might key off wisdom, since they mention things like "meditation", "willpower" and "monastic training". All priestly sounding things. But it's not as explicit as the intelligence-based ones above, so who can know for sure?

SaithThu 16-Nov-06 10:12 AM
Member since 28th Feb 2005
144 posts
#15213, "I always read that as Wis... not Int..."
In response to Reply #4

>One With Shadows is more explicit: "clever as they were >strong". "Clever", though, doesn't suggest wisdom. Same for Place >of the Raging River: "an intensity of thought that few ever >master". Also Ward of Blades: "devoted their eye and mind".

For some reason I always read that "clever" as a wisdom thing. Always wanted to test it on my svirf warriors for the "clever as they were strong" part. If I was right... I'd be one groovy mofo!

"Then hunger proved more powerful than grief." - Count Ugolino and the Tower of Hunger

IsildurThu 16-Nov-06 10:18 AM
5969 posts
#15214, "RE: I always read that as Wis... not Int..."
In response to Reply #8

Not to belabor the point, but this is exactly what bothers me. The helpfile is so vague that two people without any special biases read it completely differently. One reads intelligence, the other wisdom. If I choose it as an elf and you choose it as a svirf, one of us is getting screwed (relatively speaking).

trhTue 05-Dec-06 07:01 PM
Member since 09th Jul 2006
65 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#15399, "I took One With Shadows as a Svirfnebli"
In response to Reply #8

Ferrsaan to be exact. It worked great and it worked often. Outstanding legacy for Tribunal warriors going to face the daunting woodsman of Outlander.

ElerosseTue 14-Nov-06 01:54 PM
Member since 01st Nov 2006
423 posts
#15200, "RE: Wis and specs"
In response to Reply #3

>This is slightly obfuscated in play by the fact that races that tend to have above-average intelligences also tend to have above-average wisdoms, and much the same for low and low.

This is true in the general case, but with Svi's and mino's it would seem to make a large difference to know as they both have high wisdom(22) and below average int(18,16).

DaevrynTue 14-Nov-06 04:03 PM
11117 posts
#15201, "RE: Wis and specs"
In response to Reply #5

I did say tend.

ElerosseWed 15-Nov-06 02:20 AM
Member since 01st Nov 2006
423 posts
#15209, "RE: Wis and specs"
In response to Reply #6

Always an out

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #15193 Previous topic | Next topic