Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectWis and specs
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=15193
15193, Wis and specs
Posted by Pro on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Are their any specs that use Wisdom for bonuses/penalties?

Gnomes getting any love at all?
15195, RE: Wis and specs
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I can't think of any. Legacies are a different story.
15196, RE: Wis and specs
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
This makes me sad. Maybe I'm just being forgetful, but after an initial read through the legacy helpfiles, I don't recall any that screamed "wisdom!". If there are some that key off wisdom, I'm not sure how the legacy-picker is supposed to figure that out.
15197, RE: Wis and specs
I'd think that some would seem to lend towards smarter/clever/aware characters, which in some cases is int, some wisdom, some a combination of both!

This is slightly obfuscated in play by the fact that races that tend to have above-average intelligences also tend to have above-average wisdoms, and much the same for low and low.
15198, RE: Wis and specs
Well, yeah, several of them seem to favor smarter characters, but I just assumed the helpfile was referring to intelligence or else it would have mentioned wisdom directly.

Flow of Shadows, Incarnadine Wave and Surrounding the Sunrise all mention elves directly, but don't explicitly mention intelligence.

One With Shadows is more explicit: "clever as they were strong". "Clever", though, doesn't suggest wisdom. Same for Place of the Raging River: "an intensity of thought that few ever master". Also Ward of Blades: "devoted their eye and mind".

Now, Calming the Tempest, Forsaken Thoughts and Fortress of the Spirit all seem like they might key off wisdom, since they mention things like "meditation", "willpower" and "monastic training". All priestly sounding things. But it's not as explicit as the intelligence-based ones above, so who can know for sure?
15213, I always read that as Wis... not Int...
Posted by Saith on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

>One With Shadows is more explicit: "clever as they were >strong". "Clever", though, doesn't suggest wisdom. Same for Place >of the Raging River: "an intensity of thought that few ever >master". Also Ward of Blades: "devoted their eye and mind".

For some reason I always read that "clever" as a wisdom thing. Always wanted to test it on my svirf warriors for the "clever as they were strong" part. If I was right... I'd be one groovy mofo!
15214, RE: I always read that as Wis... not Int...
Not to belabor the point, but this is exactly what bothers me. The helpfile is so vague that two people without any special biases read it completely differently. One reads intelligence, the other wisdom. If I choose it as an elf and you choose it as a svirf, one of us is getting screwed (relatively speaking).
15399, I took One With Shadows as a Svirfnebli
Posted by trh on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Ferrsaan to be exact. It worked great and it worked often. Outstanding legacy for Tribunal warriors going to face the daunting woodsman of Outlander.
15200, RE: Wis and specs
Posted by Elerosse on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>This is slightly obfuscated in play by the fact that races that tend to have above-average intelligences also tend to have above-average wisdoms, and much the same for low and low.

This is true in the general case, but with Svi's and mino's it would seem to make a large difference to know as they both have high wisdom(22) and below average int(18,16).
15201, RE: Wis and specs
I did say tend. :)
15209, RE: Wis and specs
Posted by Elerosse on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Always an out :)