Subject: "Best MUD client software?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #4214
Show all folders

1D_rookieMon 18-Nov-13 07:18 AM
Member since 14th Nov 2013
11 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4214, "Best MUD client software?"

So I took the advice given in my other post and started logging my games, and already found my way to a new important area.

However, I use MUSHclient currently, and it saves the logs like a text file, white background with black text.

Are there any clients out there (or settings in MUSHclient) that allow you to log in full color? Just like gameplay? I noticed a few logs in the Battlefield forum are displayed in black background with color commands and echoes...

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

EskelianTue 10-Dec-13 05:24 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2023 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4220, "RE: Best MUD client software?"
In response to Reply #0

I save all my fights to Evernote (copy-pasta style) and copy and paste them into the Log Formatter on Dio's site (www.qhcf.net) when I want to view them.

Evernote is good because you can search, organize all your stuff and never worry about losing it. It's also nice for clipping nice posts here or on Dio's that you want to look at later.

highbutterflyFri 22-Nov-13 11:29 AM
Member since 24th Aug 2011
364 posts
#4218, "Some advice for formatting"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Fri 22-Nov-13 11:32 AM

When you're in learning mode, you aren't just searching for specific things in the text. One, or at least myself, is scrutinizing every line to figure out what the heck is going on and where everything is. So it's understandable you want better formatting.

My advice is to save the original as plain text, like everyone else recommends. However, if you only log a day or a few hours at a time, then you can pull your file into Libreoffice or your favorite word processor, save it as a different html file, then change the default font color and background text to whatever you like. You can then use a browser to open it up and read through it slowly without making your eyes bleed. I mention Libre office instead of MS office because it's free to obtain.

It's also possible to code a format tool, or do various complicated things in Cmud, but maybe way more fun to focus on exploring first

MortMon 18-Nov-13 10:43 AM
Member since 23rd Jan 2006
194 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4215, "RE: Best MUD client software?"
In response to Reply #0

The logs posted are just same old plaintext that has been run through a formatter tool. Some clients might have an option for html/ANSI logs to preserve formatting, but plaintext is by far the best option if you ever want to share said logs.

TorakMon 18-Nov-13 11:36 AM
Member since 15th Feb 2007
1216 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4216, "RE: Best MUD client software?"
In response to Reply #1

I believe CMUD has the option to save as html.... but I'd leave it saving as text, just because it's easier to search.

I've been logging everything for years and I cannot tell you how useful it is for finding random items or room locations or lich quest items/etc. LOG EVERYTHING

1D_rookieMon 18-Nov-13 07:16 PM
Member since 14th Nov 2013
11 posts
#4217, "RE: Best MUD client software?"
In response to Reply #2

Ahh, ok. I'll just have to get use to it then. Thanks!

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #4214 Previous topic | Next topic