Go back to previous topic
Forum Name New Player Q&A
Topic subjectBest MUD client software?
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=4214
4214, Best MUD client software?
Posted by 1D_rookie on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
So I took the advice given in my other post and started logging my games, and already found my way to a new important area.

However, I use MUSHclient currently, and it saves the logs like a text file, white background with black text.

Are there any clients out there (or settings in MUSHclient) that allow you to log in full color? Just like gameplay? I noticed a few logs in the Battlefield forum are displayed in black background with color commands and echoes...
4220, RE: Best MUD client software?
Posted by Eskelian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I save all my fights to Evernote (copy-pasta style) and copy and paste them into the Log Formatter on Dio's site (www.qhcf.net) when I want to view them.

Evernote is good because you can search, organize all your stuff and never worry about losing it. It's also nice for clipping nice posts here or on Dio's that you want to look at later.
4218, Some advice for formatting
Posted by highbutterfly on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
When you're in learning mode, you aren't just searching for specific things in the text. One, or at least myself, is scrutinizing every line to figure out what the heck is going on and where everything is. So it's understandable you want better formatting.

My advice is to save the original as plain text, like everyone else recommends. However, if you only log a day or a few hours at a time, then you can pull your file into Libreoffice or your favorite word processor, save it as a different html file, then change the default font color and background text to whatever you like. You can then use a browser to open it up and read through it slowly without making your eyes bleed. I mention Libre office instead of MS office because it's free to obtain.

It's also possible to code a format tool, or do various complicated things in Cmud, but maybe way more fun to focus on exploring first :)
4215, RE: Best MUD client software?
Posted by Mort on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The logs posted are just same old plaintext that has been run through a formatter tool. Some clients might have an option for html/ANSI logs to preserve formatting, but plaintext is by far the best option if you ever want to share said logs.
4216, RE: Best MUD client software?
Posted by Torak on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I believe CMUD has the option to save as html.... but I'd leave it saving as text, just because it's easier to search.

I've been logging everything for years and I cannot tell you how useful it is for finding random items or room locations or lich quest items/etc. LOG EVERYTHING
4217, RE: Best MUD client software?
Posted by 1D_rookie on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Ahh, ok. I'll just have to get use to it then. Thanks!