Subject: "Solo Adventuring to learn the world better" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #4207
Show all folders

1D_rookieThu 14-Nov-13 03:06 AM
Member since 14th Nov 2013
11 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4207, "Solo Adventuring to learn the world better"

I've noticed that ranking becomes difficult when traveling solo, especially when you get to around the level 30 rank, as most NPC's at that range that will give you any experience worth fighting for, are difficult to kill by yourself, requiring a group. I mean, sure, you could probably do it solo but put yourself down to 30%hp or less after 1 or 2 fights, and have to rest/sleep for hours, and that gets boring quick. And hope that some Necromancer or A-P doesn't hop on you once you kill some hulking guard or whatever.

I understand that traveling in groups is what makes the game fun, but in order to learn the lands better, sometimes the slow pace of solo adventure is necessary. I haven't ranked many characters past the lvl 30-35 range, mainly because at that point, I merely follow some experienced player around, and we will rank a bit and then usually get disbanded by a PK attack, at which point I either get killed and frustrated, or quaff a potion of recall and have no idea where I was or how to get back there safely.

I suppose I could log my games, and reread where the group leader took me, but that is also cumbersome and tedious. Any advice for learning the ropes at higher range levels, or is this simply what separates the veterans from the rookies? I suppose I should start logging, kinda answered my own question in my post, but if anyone has advice, please share!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Solo Adventuring to learn the world better, Eskelian, 10-Dec-13 05:21 AM, #7
Reply Log, log, log., Homard, 14-Nov-13 10:15 AM, #5
Reply RE: Log, log, log., 1D_rookie, 17-Nov-13 05:51 AM, #6
Reply Thrak's advice is great, Rayihn, 14-Nov-13 08:22 AM, #2
Reply RE: Thrak's advice is great, 1D_rookie, 14-Nov-13 09:04 AM, #4
Reply RE: Solo Adventuring to learn the world better, Thrakburzug, 14-Nov-13 07:01 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Solo Adventuring to learn the world better, 1D_rookie, 14-Nov-13 08:53 AM, #3

EskelianTue 10-Dec-13 05:21 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2023 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4219, "RE: Solo Adventuring to learn the world better"
In response to Reply #0

http://diku.qhcf.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WorldMap <-- Might help a bit.

Logging is very good to do in general. Exploring solo is also useful, but you might want to try something like a paladin, ranger or assassin to do that - they tend to be pretty good at it.

As a mariner ranger I could rank with impunity underwater and generally no one would bother to try to find me.

HomardThu 14-Nov-13 10:15 AM
Member since 10th Apr 2010
959 posts
#4212, "Log, log, log."
In response to Reply #0

Last night I had three different logs open from three different characters while I was navigating my way through a tricky area. Unless I go somewhere frequently I can't ever remember that you need to "open panel" or "look skull" to find the key you need, but I know if I've been through an area before I must have figured out how the hell to do it.

Also, when you find a piece of gear you like or if you see something with locate object and you don't know where it's from, you can always search your logs. This is especially true now that gear that isn't in shows up as illusionary.

The maps on Dios help tremendously for a lot of areas, but you can't always count on them because they're not all totally complete. They also don't have area explores, but I almost always have the world map open when I'm playing.

If someone's leading you somewhere and you want to learn the path, ask them where you're going. This will be especially helpful if you see them looking in all directions every time they move to a new room. Ask them what they're looking for, because that's the way to navigate some mazes. Most people will gladly slow down to help you with stuff like this.

The best advice I can give for learning how to get around Thera is still to play Battle. By being forced to walk everywhere with no other option you are thrown into a sink or swim scenario where the entire game is now no recall, no teleport. I can't think of any other factor that was a bigger aid to me in navigating the MUD than playing a ton of Battle and being forced to learn my way around on foot.

Oh, and if you play a Dwarf you get an inherent that lets you detect hidden passages, which is always nice.

1D_rookieSun 17-Nov-13 05:51 AM
11 posts
#4213, "RE: Log, log, log."
In response to Reply #5

Very cool, tons of helpful tips in there. I didn't realize that some of those aspects of gameplay existed.

Thank you!

RayihnThu 14-Nov-13 08:22 AM
Member since 08th Oct 2006
1147 posts
#4209, "Thrak's advice is great"
In response to Reply #0

I also find, especially if you can find some people that you've built some general rapport with to group with, that if you ask them to let you lead but give you directions, saying you want to learn the path, most people will be happy to take a little extra time to help. I know I can't learn new areas at all when I'm being led, so I'll usually do this to learn.

1D_rookieThu 14-Nov-13 09:04 AM
11 posts
#4211, "RE: Thrak's advice is great"
In response to Reply #2

Indeed, that's a good idea too. Would really help with learning the maps and pathways. It can be boggling sometimes when our group gets attacked, and I'm just being dragged along as my other 2 group mates are running around hunting down the attacker. It's humbling watching how terrain battles can go down when people know how to play. Fun though!

ThrakburzugThu 14-Nov-13 07:01 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
83 posts
#4208, "RE: Solo Adventuring to learn the world better"
In response to Reply #0

Logging can help. Also mapping out the areas that you have explored with pen and paper helps to imprint them on your brain. I have no idea what classes you have played, but a thief with gentle walk can go a lot of places without getting into too much trouble. The same for a ranger in the wilds or a transmuter with duo dimension.

When you have someone lead, ask them to explain in at least a general way where you are going. If you have an area you want to explore that you can't find, someone in game can probably tell you where it is and what to watch out for.

Good luck!

1D_rookieThu 14-Nov-13 08:53 AM
11 posts
#4210, "RE: Solo Adventuring to learn the world better"
In response to Reply #1

The pen and paper is an excellent idea. I've mostly played rangers, assassins, warriors, a shapeshifter (fun!), and a few other classes a long time ago before I got back into it.

So far I love rangers because they are very independent and pathfinding really helps with exploring.

I'll have to try a thief sometime, too.

Thanks!

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #4207 Previous topic | Next topic